Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have these amazing electric boxes that gather and process information. I don’t think it’s that hard. I think it’s “we received 1 dollar for Maude rerun from this group of stations, so Bea Arthur gets x cents” etc.

I constantly get residuals for pennies from old shows that never made a ton of episodes. But everything is content now. I had a series that only went 11 episodes (that didn’t all air), but you can watch it on the network website and it’s crammed with ads.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
      They have these amazing electric boxes that gather and process information.
      IMDB Pro is hard to keep updated. So even with your fancy computers, still seems like an insane amount of work humans need to do to keep things updated.

Also is this what Severence is about with the numbers???

Comment

IMDb is crowdsourced for free. Studios are insanely profitable corporations that sell a product.

It’s like wondering if Pepsi knows how many cans of soda they sell because you can’t imagine how hard it would be for you and your buddies to count them.

Comment

IMDb is crowdsourced for free. Studios are insanely profitable corporations that sell a product.

It’s like wondering if Pepsi knows how many cans of soda they sell because you can’t imagine how hard it would be for you and your buddies to count them.
          But what about all those indie movies that are bought by companies that don't exist anymore, yada yada... who pays Crystal Pepsi their money??? (Bono has him in a corner!)

Comment

When a studio goes out of business, another company buys its library.

Comment

They have these amazing electric boxes that gather and process information. I don’t think it’s that hard. I think it’s “we received 1 dollar for Maude rerun from this group of stations, so Bea Arthur gets x cents” etc.
              Any idea how they keep track with streamers? It seems this would be a lot harder with memberships versus licensing fees.

Imagine they did what Amazon does for their reading membership, in which you pay 10 bucks a month as a reader and you can download any book in the subscription program and read it for free. In other words, Netflix for books. Authors are not paid per book downloaded, but per page read, since Amazon can keep track of how many pages are being read on Kindle devices, smartphones, etc. The royalties aren't huge, but still fair, and can really help boost sales for a first-time author on whom avid readers might otherwise not pay 3 or 4 bucks to try out.

So I wonder if NF does something similar with that. For ex: Jennifer is the screenwriter for BIG MOVIE and a total of 120 million viewers watched a total of 3,200,000,000 minutes of BIG MOVIE in the last quarter, which means that at a rate of 0.00001 dollars per minute, Jennifer makes 32,000 bucks in residuals. Could they do that? And can you imagine being the accountant on that kind of thing?!

Comment

Yep, streamers pay residuals based on minutes watched. As always, the guild wants more transparency and a better rate.

Comment

When you do the math with Netflix, the numbers are just insane (230M subs X 15 bucks / month X 12 months / year). Everybody involved SHOULD get a bigger piece of the pie.

Remember when nobody thought that formula would ever work? Or when so many writers scoffed at the idea of Amazon producing movies and shows? Amazon who signed a 20M-deal with Phoebe Waller-Bridge?

It's all just nuts.

Kinda makes you wonder what's next.

Comment

I mean the way things are going, what happens if this strike goes on years? I'm not optimistic at all.

Comment

Longest strike ever was 22 weeks. Networks may not be what they used to be, but they’re not gonna just give up on broadcasting.

Comment

Cut to -- 2028.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                          When you do the math with Netflix, the numbers are just insane (230M subs X 15 bucks / month X 12 months / year). Everybody involved SHOULD get a bigger piece of the pie.

Remember when nobody thought that formula would ever work? Or when so many writers scoffed at the idea of Amazon producing movies and shows? Amazon who signed a 20M-deal with Phoebe Waller-Bridge?

It's all just nuts.

Kinda makes you wonder what's next.
                          This made me google!! It says it's been 60 Million, so far. And she wasn't going to be a showrunner for any of them, either, which to me is the strange part. Regardless, nothing got made. Get that money while you can, though, I guess.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge Earned $60 Million From Amazon Deal Despite No Content Being Made | Decider

The biggest new moneymaking scheme for Hollywood stars? Doing nothing | Television & radio | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post

This made me google!! It says it's been 60 Million, so far. And she wasn't going to be a showrunner for any of them, either, which to me is the strange part. Regardless, nothing got made. Get that money while you can, though, I guess.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge Earned $60 Million From Amazon Deal Despite No Content Being Made | Decider

The biggest new moneymaking scheme for Hollywood stars? Doing nothing | Television & radio | The Guardian
                            Is this one of the reasons the strike will go on for a bit -- because I heard that after a certain time -- is it 6 weeks -- there is language where studios can terminate these overall deals.

But great for Phoebe. I'd be excited it I made 6 bucks from my writing this year.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post

Wow. The figures in the Guardian article are simply staggering. The SOUTH PARK dudes got a 500M deal and then a separate 900M deal??

I guess it's all about nabbing them before someone else does.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post

Wow. The figures in the Guardian article are simply staggering. The SOUTH PARK dudes got a 500M deal and then a separate 900M deal??

I guess it's all about nabbing them before someone else does.

I guess you missed that news before -- yes they killed it. And the best part is they used this real life thing to make content to make fun of both of them and their deals. So it's just perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X