Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was a bloodsucker like Zas I would absolutely use FM to get out from some of these deals that were signed in the build up of the streaming arms race. Netflix and WBD would seem to be the two who could make street friendly cuts in these areas the easiest as happened in 08.

Comment

i mean, if WB wants to nuke Greg Berlanti's overall, and then hope he'll just re-up when the strike is over like they didn't do it, i guess that's their contractual right. the cost savings of killing these producing deals, to multi-billion dollar corporations, is minimal. and nobody knows what Phoebe Waller-Bridge did or didn't bring to Amazon under her deal that they may have chosen not to move forward with. more trades-sown drama to distract rank-and-file members from who the real fight is with

Comment

I'm sure we’re all for the writers winning. The realization that certain writers have half billion dollar deals sheds light on how silly it is that streamers are fighting paying decent royalties to OTHER writers. That’s not a distraction, but rather a reinforcement of the wrong that will hopefully be corrected by the strike .

Comment

My point was a reason strike May drag on is to kill some of these deals. You says it’s peanuts for them. Well so are the WGA demands they refused. They love to save every dollar they can.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
            I'm sure we’re all for the writers winning. The realization that certain writers have half billion dollar deals sheds light on how silly it is that streamers are fighting paying decent royalties to OTHER writers. That’s not a distraction, but rather a reinforcement of the wrong that will hopefully be corrected by the strike .
            The South Park guys are getting hundreds of millions because they've made *billions* for the studios. Those big deals are because a writer has proven that they can deliver hits, or because their name actually helps launch a show. Writers should be thrilled that there's still a brass ring.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
              The South Park guys are getting hundreds of millions because they've made *billions* for the studios. Those big deals are because a writer has proven that they can deliver hits, or because their name actually helps launch a show. Writers should be thrilled that there's still a brass ring.
              Yeah. We shouldn't really be concerned with the ceiling that any individual writer can achieve financially. It's the floor we're concerned about, and it's not like the South Park guys are taking money away from those writers on the floor. It's still the execs that are doing that because they can afford to pay the South Park guys bank and lesser known writers a decent living like they used to in the previous industry model before streaming.

Comment

Is it a requirement of the guild to go out and picket btw? Or only if you live in that state or nearby... I wasn't sure if it's like you must show your face 10 hours a week or the WGA is going to be pissed...

Also in NY, we always had a giant air ballon rat outside buildings with scab workers -- I wish the WGA had something similar as it's fun!

Comment

Support Striking Writers Guild Members!

TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

So I asked about report movie sales earlier in this thread and most of it made sense to me -- but what about MADDEN movie with Will Ferrell and David O Russell with Amazon. Since director wrote it already, he's allowed to move forward as a DGA member and Will is in SAG of course...

Or maybe this was a deal made a month ago... I never know.

Comment

• If they were scabbing, I doubt they'd have their managers send out a press release.

Comment

• I know, it's just so weird how it works and what gets people upset... I found on deadline this -- The project has been percolating for some time. It is based on a Black List script by Cambron Clark, and Russell had been doing a rewrite when everything stopped with the writer’s strike.

Also I love Madden so excited, but odd choice for Will to be Madden unless they are going for more weird comedy tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bono View Post
                          I know, it's just so weird how it works and what gets people upset... I found on deadline this -- The project has been percolating for some time. It is based on a Black List script by Cambron Clark, and Russell had been doing a rewrite when everything stopped with the writer’s strike.

Also I love Madden so excited, but odd choice for Will to be Madden unless they are going for more weird comedy tone.
                          I found that wording to be very odd but I do think it has been set up there, so it probably tracks. But your overall point is good - it’s weird what people get upset about. You’ve got so much stuff headed to film markets, much of it brokered by sales agents employed by the writer’s agencies. I guess they are just ignoring the letters that were sent? Looking the other way? Writer was already paid for these projects in some cases? Just seems to be a lot of threading the needle and “it’s outta my hands” when you’ve got people who got heavy early on unrepped writers querying managers. One of these things seems worse than the other.

Comment

• DGA proudly announces their tentative deal at midnight on a Saturday, because it's such a good one

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...al-1235499057/

apparently does take AI off the table: "agreement confirming that AI is not a person and that generative AI cannot replace the duties performed by members."

but the topline gain is just including international streaming subscribers for SVOD residuals? "securing a new residual structure to pay foreign residuals. The result is a 76% increase in foreign residuals for the largest platforms so that residuals for a one-hour episode will now be roughly $90,000 for the first three exhibition years." i dunno, if the biggest thing you're crowing about is getting your membership an extra $20k a year in residuals for a one-hour episode? i am not a director and i see other directors tweeting they think this is a good deal for them but that feels . . . light

Comment

• I don't know crap, but the DGA always getting an easy deal done and only going on strike for 11 hours in 40 years just seems like a total kick to every writer's face. Even in this crap, writer's get treated the worst.

Comment

• It’s good cop bad cop. We’re the bad cop. We go crazy and they negotiate. I have every belief that we were working with them and they wouldn’t have made the deal if we didn’t sign off on the numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X