Is the Spec Market more pedestrian these days?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Spec Market more pedestrian these days?

Had a script go out late last week.We're out to around 30 prods. In years gone by with other spec scripts, come the Monday/ Tuesday the responses started to roll in, even the odd one over the weekend. By end of week it was pretty clear idea how things were playing out. But this time round, we've had two, maybe three reactions after a week. I was speaking to another writer pal yesterday, she had a script go out to around 20 prods 3 weeks ago, and she's yet to hear anything, from anyone. Makes me wonder if things have changed. Are execs slower to read these days when a new spec hits the market?

Anyone else noticed this?

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
    Had a script go out late last week.We're out to around 30 prods. In years gone by with other spec scripts, come the Monday/ Tuesday the responses started to roll in, even the odd one over the weekend. By end of week it was pretty clear idea how things were playing out. But this time round, we've had two, maybe three reactions after a week. I was speaking to another writer pal yesterday, she had a script go out to around 20 prods 3 weeks ago, and she's yet to hear anything, from anyone. Makes me wonder if things have changed. Are execs slower to read these days when a new spec hits the market?

Anyone else noticed this?
    I saw the pace of reads slow down before Covid. There was no real "make calls Wednesday, send Friday, fighting for territories on Monday" anymore. Covid and market conditions slowed it down even more. Naked spec sales are so rare now, everything is going to require a package, even with A list writers. For the most part, anyway.

I took something out in November and we were out to about 30 places. I think 12 or so wanted in on the action and it was a slow roll of two weeks. My top choice came back wanting to be involved on maybe day 11?

This is for a commercial idea (IMHO) in a very easy genre and it eventually got to studios. (not by us) And even then, why would they move on it? They've outsourced packaging to agencies and producers.

The cadence has just changed entirely. Of course, the urgency is still there if you are in the short story part of the business and have a hot story. Then you can still get that kind of momentum in assembling a package very quickly. But still...you'll probably need some attractive element.

Comment

That's terrific to hear you had almost 50 percent of subs interested. Hopefully it leads to plenty of new opportunities for you.

Comment

The last two specs I wrote, the producer slow rolled it out. He said everything was different and people were slow to read. Current spec, they are doing the same thing... it's going to a bigger producer here, an agent here, another company here --- targeting it.

Now these are both producers and not managers/agents. But from what I've heard is that gone are the days of out on Tuesday, offers in a week later, dead or alive quickly.

So yes first spec I had go out around 2009, it went WIDE to everyone. They said to also introduce us to town... boy how great that worked out!

Comment

The first spec my manager took we had people calling Saturday night to claim territories. I thought that's what the business worked. Second spec, we slipped to Three Letter Monolith and the agent called Sunday night to say the head of the company was taking it to *** *****. I thought that's how the business worked.

Comment

Would either of you be interested in reading my spec? I'm new to the community. Nicholl Semifinalist. Still trying to break into the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              The last two specs I wrote, the producer slow rolled it out. He said everything was different and people were slow to read. Current spec, they are doing the same thing... it's going to a bigger producer here, an agent here, another company here --- targeting it.

Now these are both producers and not managers/agents. But from what I've heard is that gone are the days of out on Tuesday, offers in a week later, dead or alive quickly.

So yes first spec I had go out around 2009, it went WIDE to everyone. They said to also introduce us to town... boy how great that worked out!

It does seem like the targeted approach is becoming more common these days. My reps considered packaging this spec first but then opted to go out wide. It’s a pretty commercial genre piece though so that may have played a part in their thinking.

Comment

Also the issue I saw with last spec was you give it to a top actor and they take 3 months to tell you "no" which is a great way to kill momentum.

Comment

Working...
                X