Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script Coverage

I'm talking to someone in hopes of getting a job at their up and coming prodco. I am very optimistic, but want to be prepared. It's not an established prodco, and I've been speaking with the person with the power for the last year, so I don't have any clue as to what I would be doing. We've just talked about letting me work for her. I have a few questions:

#1. Just in case, I want to be able to say I have done some sample coverage on one or two scripts.
    #2. Is it better to have two sample coverages rather than one?
    #3. On what scripts can I do coverage. I have a Knight's Tale script lying around somewhere, but does it matter that it has already been produced? If so, anyone want to volunteer their scripts
    #4. Would it be best, or even appropriate, to offer or send or offer to send a resume?

I'll probably think of more questions. I don't want to screw anything up.
    ~* Kelsey *~

http://kelseytalksaboutmovies.blog.com/

Re: Script Coverage

My suggestion would be cover two of my spec scripts and give them recommends. When you hand her the sample coverage, hand her the scripts as well.

Seriously though, you may want to write up coverage on a couple scripts that fit in the genres they're interested in producing. Maybe one produced and one unproduced. For the produced film, I'd suggest you cover one you have not seen so your read won't be biased by the resulting images.
    http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Kelsey, are you specifically looking for the position of reader? I have a friend (and writing partner for one script) who reads on a steady basis for a major production company. If you're looking for advice on presenting yourself as a potential reader, please PM me and I'll ask my friend if she'd be able to advise you.

Comment

I would love someone to advise me, Jake. I'm not really looking to be a reader specifically, I'm kind of in a very fortunate, very odd situation. I met the person almost a year ago, but she's working on a television show right now that ends in February. I had spoken to her months ago, asking if when I got back from France if I could come to her for a job. Since then, I have seen her countless times, and she has brought up my desire to work for her. I don't have a college education (yet), so I have no idea what I would be doing. I just want to pursue something, since she'll be starting the company. I was thinking script reader or answering phones, both of which I would be fine doing, I just want to be prepared as possible, when I make my call to her later in the week (which she told me to do).
        ~* Kelsey *~

Comment

I forgot to post my other question. Now that I have posted my situation in more detail, do you think it would be valuable to have one or two letters of recommendations on hand to offer to them (them being the person and her manager), or if they ask?
          ~* Kelsey *~

Comment

I have another question...

* When I send the coverage for a script, do I need to send the script along with it?

* You suggested that I do coverage on a script of a film I haven't seen...that can be done. Do I note anywhere that it is a script of a film I haven't seen? Since it's been produced, are they going to think I'm totally dumb if I say I'd pass. What's the point then?

Here are the other questions, I would still like people's answers...

#1. Just in case, I want to be able to say I have done some sample coverage on one or two scripts.
            #2. Is it better to have two sample coverages rather than one?
            #3. On what scripts can I do coverage. I have a Knight's Tale script lying around somewhere, but does it matter that it has already been produced? If so, anyone want to volunteer their scripts
            #4. Would it be best, or even appropriate, to offer or send or offer to send a resume?

#5. Do you think it would be valuable to have one or two letters of recommendations on hand to offer to them (them being the person and her manager), or if they ask?
            ~* Kelsey *~

Comment

Kelsey, check your PM.

Comment

IMHO I think four is a good number to have. Like as previous people have stated, a PASS, RECOMMEND, maybe another PASS, and maybe a BOOK or TV sample.

I would dig out CE's previous post, which I'm sure is now in the FAQ section.

But yes, I would not write up coverage of A KNIGHTS TALE. If anything, write up coverage of random scripts perhaps from people on this board, if you can not get what CE suggested with newly produced H-wood films.

Ultimately, they are looking whether you can break-down a script and all its elements, and produce it into a neat little 3/4pg report for the DOD or agent.

G-luck with it.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by creativexec

If she hires you to do general work (like that of an assistant), it may not hurt to give her one sample coverage (of a current script) along with a traditional resume. You said she's in TV? If she produces MOWs, you may want to find a movie-of-the-week script to cover. If she does a TV series, you can cover a sit-com or hour-long (depending upon the format in which she works).

Good luck.
                  I think general assistant would be a good thing to shoot for. Would you recommend that that one script be a pass or recommend? I have one from a DD'er who has been kind enough to lend me their script.
                  ~* Kelsey *~

Comment

I really think that you should get a current script that's going around town. If you want to be an assistant to a startup producer, your job would most likely be to get those scripts for her anyway, so this will show that you're able to do that. Also make sure you're familiar with Hollywood assistant workload and responsibilities, so you know what you're getting into and are up to it - the workload, the hours, the stress, etc.

If you've never done something like this, she may just be offering you an internship (probably unpaid) which is still a good entry into this business.

Comment

You know what, you could always ask to 'cover' a script that's already been 'covered' - and she/he (your boss) could cross-compare the two to get a gist on you.

Just an idea.

EJ

Comment

Kelsey, did you get the email I sent you yesterday with that contact I'd mentioned?

Comment

Yes, Jake, thanks.

I guess I can ask to cover a script they've already covered. My problem is that I'm not going about getting this job like usual...it's such a wierd situation and relationship I have with her. I don't even know if my job description will be reading scripts, I'm just covering every possible thing that might come up.

Ugh, I'm just frustrated. I really appreciate everyone sharing their opinions and advice...keep 'em coming. I'm gonna get back to the coverage I'm working on now...
                          ~* Kelsey *~

Comment

I hope your coverage is good.

I would rather show NO coverage than BAD coverage.
                            I wanna tell you about the time I almost died....

Comment

William Haskins has a good thread in Business FAQ about coverage. Hope that helps.

EJ

Comment

Working...
                              X