Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When is a writer ready for Hollywood?

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
    Is Hollywood ready for ME, that should be the question.

I like that question.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
      I don't want to derail this important thread, but I'll answer...

I am fortunate to have MANY Indian friends. These are freinds who were born in India and go back and forth to their motherland often so they are always in tune with what is going on there. They also watch alot of Bollywood movies along with U.S. movies. I picked their brains on what is accepted and what is not. They gave me an outline of the story they wanted and I fleshed out and wrote the story.

You are right, overly sexualized scenes are not allowed. But they have mastered the art of implying what is going on. During the dance numbers, you see a lot more flesh and risque moves that are allowed.

The producers already have people working on the music and dance. Hopefully the music can be fashioned to where it fits into the mood of what I am writing.

Without getting into details, the script I wrote, with their guidance, will push the boundaries of a traditional Bollywood story. It is a fun story, with a bit more sexual situations than is normally in a BW story. I guess I will find out if I went too far after they read the script. I guess this is way we have the concept of REWRITES.

But it's been a fun ride so far.
      Ok thanks for talking about it. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post

I'm really curious about how you researched what Indian sensibilities are, and what you had to change (theme? concept?) to suit them.

I have heard that they do not allow kissing or sexualized scenes in their movies, and that they use elaborate dance numbers instead. (I don't mean just for kissing scenes.)
        One thing I had not anticipated...

As I have mentioned, I have written a Bollywood type script and I will also be directing (My first feature directing gig). The script has finally been approved by the producers and we are about to start casting this coming weekend. One of the actors who applied would be perfect for the lead part.

But I just got an email saying that his parents do not approve of the role. So he has backed out of the audition (which he was the front runner).

I still have a lot to learn about the Indian culture.
        Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

When I finish a script, I watch the movie in my head.

When I get to the point where I can't wait for the next scene, I'll be ready.

I'm not there yet.

Comment

Lubed up and with something to bite down hard on so that you don't scream.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
              One thing I had not anticipated...

As I have mentioned, I have written a Bollywood type script and I will also be directing (My first feature directing gig). The script has finally been approved by the producers and we are about to start casting this coming weekend. One of the actors who applied would be perfect for the lead part.

But I just got an email saying that his parents do not approve of the role. So he has backed out of the audition (which he was the front runner).

I still have a lot to learn about the Indian culture.
              Ouch. Parents!

Was he very young? It seems tough enough to make it as an actor without the extra baggage. It's like ETM from Stern all over again.

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              Lubed up and with something to bite down hard on so that you don't scream.

- Bill

Comment

Here are Terry Rossio's thoughts (from 2001) on the subject:

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/scr...cgi?read=42108

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                  Ouch. Parents!

Was he very young? It seems tough enough to make it as an actor without the extra baggage. It's like ETM from Stern all over again.

20 yo guy.
                  Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Working...
                  X