I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Originally posted by niwa View Post
    I like the sound of that Adam, nice job...

I got an 8 for mine over the weekend, with a 10 for premise....here's hoping I can share a similar story
    10 for premise! Awesome! That should get you some serious downloads!
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Shari Hari View Post

Curious tho - have ANY of you scored an actual reach-out (meaningful, direct, personal contact from a "reader") from your exposure on the site yet?
      Not I (though I did get a read request from an agency for an unrelated script on the strength of that 9).

Franklin just tweeted a couple of success stories -- people who got managers based on their BL scripts.

The success of the the BL will be measured signal-to-noise over time -- how many good ratings lead to good results. (And we really need more hard data on this -- like Inktip provides.)

Also, it may be that the BL is more or less effective at various levels -- it may be great at getting managers for people without them, but not so great for getting agents for people with managers, or sales for people with agents.

Comment

Originally posted by adam612 View Post
        I had an actual reach-out from someone big. Depending on how it progresses, I'll share details in the future. But he told me he was in the airport, looking for something to read, skimmed the BL email that highlighted some of the higher scripts, and it led directly to him reading my script and contacting me.
        Man, that's exciting. Keep us in the picture!
        @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
          10 for premise! Awesome! That should get you some serious downloads!
          Thanks Lauri - fingers crossed...

Comment

Originally posted by niwa View Post
            I like the sound of that Adam, nice job...

I got an 8 for mine over the weekend, with a 10 for premise....here's hoping I can share a similar story
            Wow! Would love to hear the premise!
            @MacBullitt

Comment

Not I (though I did get a read request from an agency for an unrelated script on the strength of that 9).

Franklin just tweeted a couple of success stories -- people who got managers based on their BL scripts.

The success of the the BL will be measured signal-to-noise over time -- how many good ratings lead to good results. (And we really need more hard data on this -- like Inktip provides.)

Also, it may be that the BL is more or less effective at various levels -- it may be great at getting managers for people without them, but not so great for getting agents for people with managers, or sales for people with agents.
              Great to read there are some success stories, and I know it's early days yet but.... six thousand scripts, one thousand industry members, two thousand downloads and just a few people signing up with agents/managers - I just hope we're seeing the start of a wave of success stories, I appreciate it takes time, fingers crossed, I want BL3 to work so much, I want it to boost the whole industry.

From the customer side we do need more hard data. The script side has everything broken down but the industry side is very hazy. Personally I'd like to see;
              • Total running number of industry members, broken down by type.
              • Number of industry member downloads by day.
              • Impressions only to show industry member impressions (not other writers).
              • Downloads only to show industry member downloads (not paid readers).
              • A copy of any spotlight email featuring my scripts in my inbox + number of industry members it's been sent out to.
              • Overall Stats report on click through rates for emails/recommendations + industry member ratings.

But I have to say, scores aside, as a coverage service I've found BL3 to be excellent.
              Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

@ thestuart -- all great suggestions. And lauri' suggestion of success stories on the dashboard like virtualpitch does is a great idea too

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                  Some of you may have noted this on the Black List twitter feed today (@theblcklst).

Pleased to report that a writer discovered via our site signed with Benderspink today and another signed with Verve and Kaplan-Perrone.

More details soon.
                  Excellent news!!!
                  "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
                    Great to read there are some success stories, and I know it's early days yet but.... six thousand scripts, one thousand industry members, two thousand downloads and just a few people signing up with agents/managers - I just hope we're seeing the start of a wave of success stories, I appreciate it takes time, fingers crossed, I want BL3 to work so much, I want it to boost the whole industry.

From the customer side we do need more hard data. The script side has everything broken down but the industry side is very hazy. Personally I'd like to see;
                    • Total running number of industry members, broken down by type.
                    • Number of industry member downloads by day.
                    • Impressions only to show industry member impressions (not other writers).
                    • Downloads only to show industry member downloads (not paid readers).
                    • A copy of any spotlight email featuring my scripts in my inbox + number of industry members it's been sent out to.
                    • Overall Stats report on click through rates for emails/recommendations + industry member ratings.

But I have to say, scores aside, as a coverage service I've found BL3 to be excellent.
                    Concur. We need more than anecdotes and generalizations at this point -- we need cold, hard data.

Comment

Concur. We need more than anecdotes and generalizations at this point -- we need cold, hard data.
                      Either execs, managers, agents, producers are calling you or their not...That's the only cold, hard data you need...everything else is bullsh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                        Either execs, managers, agents, producers are calling you or their not...That's the only cold, hard data you need...everything else is bullsh*t.
                        Right - that applies to people who have already invested in the BL.

But the people who are still on the fence deserve to have some stats before they put their money down.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                          This is about evaluating BL3, not evaluating personal success.
                          Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

I understand the appeal of stats, but I can't give you stats. However, I can give you an anecdote.

I have never read a script from a blind query letter in my seven years as a working professional film producer. I have read two scripts that I downloaded from the Black List in the last month.

Comment

Originally posted by keithcalder View Post
                              I understand the appeal of stats, but I can't give you stats. However, I can give you an anecdote.

I have never read a script from a blind query letter in my seven years as a working professional film producer. I have read two scripts that I downloaded from the Black List in the last month.
                              Impressive stuff, it's really valuable to read this kind of insight from the other side.

Comment

That's no anecdote! That's my wife!

Wait. No, I'm thinking it's a stat.

Comment

Working...
                                X