Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on a pilot as a PA

Does anyone here know how to get a job on a pilot as a PA or writer's PA without knowing someone who knows someone?

I've been told to fax my resume to various production offices, but I'm not sure how to obtain those fax numbers or what resources I should be using.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Working on a pilot as a PA

Not sure about fax numbers, but I'm sure you can get the phone number of the production office from IMDb Pro or Studio System. You could then call and ask if they're hiring PAs, and if so where to send your resume. I mean production PAs here because at least in my experience, the writers' PA has always been either a former production PA or someone who got the job through a connection.

Comment

If you don't have any experience, you might consider shooting for a job as a film PA first-- movie sets usually have more PAs than a TV set would have. Go to mixers or anywhere where you can meet crew-- unfortunately, at least in Austin, I always found was that the people who were working were too busy to go to the mixers... But look for ads for indie films on Craig's List or whatever your local filmmakers use --indies will always want unpaid PAs. Go there, do that, get experience and you'll meet more people on a film set than you will elsewhere. They will know people who know people. At the very minimum, you'll be able to beef up your resume and maybe your IMDB. Also, you might consider being an extra. Google extras casting or look for casting calls. Extras have not much to do besides hang out and get to know people on the film set. You can learn a lot, network and get paid doing it. Also: free food!
      I get the idea it's quite a bit harder in LA than in Austin (Austin's super close-knit and friendly). I've heard people go to particular bars where assistants or crew would go and meet people that way...?

Comment

Thanks for the info! This really helps.

Comment

Good show biz/industry websites...
          I'm not on this forum often but here are a few useful free sites; www.mandy.com www.productionhub.com www.entertainmentjobs.net www.showbizjobs.com www.wga.org .

I'd also go to seminars, speeches, events, party places.
          If you network & can sell yourself you can go further.
          Have a clear logline or elevator pitch & be ready to give ideas/energy.
          If you are smart & have drive, it will impress people.

Beef
          I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Working...
          X