No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard TV Deal

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any advice on what is considered 'standard' in terms of compensation as a co-creator of a TV series? The series is an hour-long dramedy and the Prod Co will be pitching it for cable.

I am an Australian writer - our agreements suggest that a creator is paid 5% of all script fees paid to all writers of subsequent episodes.

However, the show is set in the States, it won't be filmed in Australia. I called the WGA but they would not offer any advice.

Obviously no two deals are the same - I just want to know what is reasonable for a first-time writer with little bargaining power.

If anyone has had experience with their own shows being picked up, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by mjm; 12-22-2015, 06:30 PM.

Re: Standard TV Deal

It's hard to say because there are so many factors and negotiations.

It would depend on your level, the network it goes to, number of episodes, budgets, if they are pre-planning numbers for other EPs invoked, and if they might bring a showrunner on etc.

It would be up to your lawyer to negotiate and get the most they can for the position you're in.

If you're getting a show on air it's usually pretty healthy in terms of $$ but it's a long road to get there, even if you sell a show. You may only ever get the upfront money when you sell and write the pilot. All the other numbers tend to be moot until it is a go.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Re: Standard TV Deal

Thanks Ducky - yeah, it's a tricky situation.

Comment

Working...
      X