Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I ready for representation?

Sounds like a dumb question, but I know nothing of the industry as I have simply focused on trying to not sucking at writing words (more on that below).

I took up screenwriting in April (on a whim) and have since complete 4 screenplays and 3 pilots. My first two film scripts were, in my retrospective opinion, ungodly bad (avg. 4.5, 5, and 5.5 on the blacklist website), but my third has four 7's; though I'm not sure how a bunch of 7's compares to the work of actual writers. It did make the website's top-list, but again, how does that list compare to the work of people who are actually rep'd/produced. The character and dialogue is, apparently, very well done, but the plot is meh and I am not 100% sure I should use this to query (if it is even good enough to query without it being a wasting their, and my, time).

As for my pilots, my first was just bad (I trashed it after I took a look with clean eyes), but my second made it onto the BL website's top list (ratings: 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 8; four were paid evaluations). It has numerous pro views and downloads, but I have yet to hear anything back (~1 month). My third is currently waiting on two paid reviews, and I think has the best chance of not sucking. Again though, how does my work compare to real writers. I have read a few scripts online in an attempt to compare their work with mine, but for the life of me I can't tell what makes them good (I do know what constitutes bad, but good is not simply the absence of bad).

Again, I have, literally, zero knowledge of the industry, or what even constitutes a good script (I just know to roughly follow the 3-6-3 sequence structure), and my biggest worry as a newbie is querying on material that is not worth a rep's time, thereby putting him/her off my future work.

So here's my question for you:

"Given your experience and what I have outlined above, what would you recommend I do moving forward?"

Again, sorry for being green-as-grass when it comes to this stuff; I feel like one of those people standing in an abstract art exhibit: clueless.

Re: Am I ready for representation?

You may could get a rep but that doesn't mean you're ready for one.

I got my first manager right at about a year of writing. I did the same and completed 6 scripts in that first year.

Even though I was able to get one, looking back I wasn't ready. I didn't know what to do with one or how to capitalize on anything a rep could offer. Some will be able to sniff that out when they meet you. Even if they like the writing on the page, they know there's so much more to the business than words on the page unfortunately.

My opinion is to keep writing, get better, learn about the industry and how all the different moving parts work, then when it's time, it'll likely be a lot easier to get a rep.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
      You may could get a rep but that doesn't mean you're ready for one.

I got my first manager right at about a year of writing. I did the same and completed 6 scripts in that first year.

Even though I was able to get one, looking back I wasn't ready. I didn't know what to do with one or how to capitalize on anything a rep could offer. Some will be able to sniff that out when they meet you. Even if they like the writing on the page, they know there's so much more to the business than words on the page unfortunately.

My opinion is to keep writing, get better, learn about the industry and how all the different moving parts work, then when it's time, it'll likely be a lot easier to get a rep.
      Thanks for the input; never occurred to me that the business aspect would be weighed so heavily in their consideration. I am by no means one of the so-called "artist types"... bending to the will of the corporate overloads is totally fine by me so long as I get paid (I'm a monster, I know).

Curious to see what other people say, but it is looking like a bit more time in the shadows may not be a bad idea.

Comment

You've been writing your ass off, that's good; that's a work ethic that'll serve you well. You're wise to question whether to query, since you don't seem to have a favorite script yet and don't want to burn reads. It sounds like you're getting better with each one, so continue doing what you're doing, pour your heart into your next one (try being one of those "artist types" for a bit, see how it feels), make it great and get that sucker out there to represent you.
        https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

what ducky said. assume you landed a rep and they sent you out to be staffed or pitch a feature. if you actually landed a staff position or sold the pitch, would you have the craft to turn in a professional-level script to a showrunner in two weeks, or the studio in eight? it's not really a "learn on the job" kind of gig.

Comment

I appreciate all the insight, folks. Probably will continue writing while I finish my M.Sc., then start the hunt. Much obliged!

Comment

Originally posted by Ziltoid View Post
              Thanks for the input; never occurred to me that the business aspect would be weighed so heavily in their consideration.
              If you're trying to do TV, writing is such a small part of the equation in the grand scheme of things. You have to be good in a room. Possibly have contacts. Of course you have to be a great writer if you're unknown in a pile of 100 to get that showrunner meeting, but they're not hiring a staff writer on writing alone -- showrunners can rewrite an average writer into greatness. They rather you be a cool person they can be around 10 hours a day.

Your abilities outside of writing will factor in on the feature side when you try to land assignments or go pitching. Those are skills in a different category.

I wish it were as simple as just being able to write. But at the end of the day, it's a business and you have to understand how it works in order to navigate it in some ways.
              Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziltoid View Post
                I appreciate all the insight, folks. Probably will continue writing while I finish my M.Sc., then start the hunt. Much obliged!

Join some of the better known screenwriting competitions this year, if your script is getting all 7's that's pretty good man. And if they are good enough and you place high in those competitions, perhaps the representation will come to you.

At worst maybe that should let you know how you rank against other writers.

4 feature scripts in that time + pilots and continuous improvement is nothing to be taken lightly. Keep going man!

I started in September and just a couple of days ago finished my third spec script. My first script got a well deserved 3. My second script got a 6 first review, I deleted it re-wrote and then got a 5 and a 7 on the blacklist (on signature). I'm hoping this new one reaches 8 or up. Really I just want to see improvement.

Also wrote a pilot in that time, but I plan to shoot it myself so not too worried about shopping.

What I'm doing is soaking in as much information as I can, just general information, I (fortunately) make a meager living off of entertainment (Spanish market), so I got a lot of time to just learn about other screen writers and watch lectures, reading other peoples material and just learning and writing and learning... And to me this does not get boring.

If this last script gets a good review 8+ I'll enter 3-4 contests and start shopping again, to studios, execs ect. That seems like a logical route to take.
                Last edited by Mpimentel; 01-05-2016, 03:18 PM.
                "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
                SUBTITLED
                Episode 1 (Beef pills)
                Episode 2 (African commercial)
                Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

There's a lot of working writers that don't have, need or want representation. Representation isn't the goal.
                  If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                  Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
                    There's a lot of working writers that don't have, need or want representation. Representation isn't the goal.
                    Certainly not, and the old saying is true that the only thing worse than No Representation is Bad Representation. I've had bad reps and it is agony compared to the itch of being unrepped.
                    Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
                      Certainly not, and the old saying is true that the only thing worse than No Representation is Bad Representation. I've had bad reps and it is agony compared to the itch of being unrepped.
                      Just curious -- and also probably for the benefit of the OP: what made your reps bad?

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                        Just curious -- and also probably for the benefit of the OP: what made your reps bad?
                        Basically what you expect. Poor communication, took months to read, and not being passionate about work that I was passionate about. Among other things.
                        Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

My career was completely transformed by leaving an un-engaged agent, taking meetings and switching to a new agency that showed real passion. I've been employed consistently ever since, whereas the previous five years were sporadic at best.
                          https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                          http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

I've been beaten to the punch, but I'd chime in to add that having the RIGHT rep is more important than just having one. I've had a couple of mediocre-to-bad reps over the years and there's just no point to it. Finding one who really responds to your writing is key.

Comment

You know there's a thing that happens with young writers, which is that sometimes you get rep based on potential.

A lot of writers catch lightning in a bottle with an early script. It's something they're particularly passionate about, and it just sort of flows, but they don't know how to replicate that yet. And sometimes that script gets them rep.

And sometimes that rep gets them a job which is nurturing enough (particularly in TV) that they can grow into being a writer who is ready to be working constantly/have rep and make the most out of it.

More often, however, that script gets them some meetings that they aren't quite ready to kick ass in, or even a job which they don't quite nail, because their fundamental skills just aren't where they need to be, yet. This can be brutal, because a lot of writers, with those first jobs, push all their chips to the center of the table career-wise on "writer" - and I think it's a big part of the reason why so many WGA members are only in the guild for five years - they get one job, too soon, and they wash out.

(And this is part of why multi-step deals are important. If you have a guaranteed second step you get at least one chance to learn on the job).

So I don't know if "ready for rep" is a hugely meaningful question. I think the real questions are:

Can you deliver a high-quality script in a professional time-frame? Can you make a compelling pitch? Can you consistently produce high-quality spec material? Are you good in a room? Do you have a strong angle to sell yourself with? Can you incorporate dramatic rewrite notes into your material without a drop-off in quality? Is the material you produce on an off-day still of professional quality?

In other words, are you ready to work?

Comment

Working...
                              X