When do you say, "I GIVE?"

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When do you say, "I GIVE?"

    Hey everyone,

    So I've been documenting part of this effed up journey to getting my screenplay made.

    My attorney dragged his feet, the other attorney is an attorney/producer (not on this prooject) and a real piece of work.

    Long story short, things got somewhat ugly between them because my guy, instead of redlining their document, sent our counter as a separate doc, because it was so different. The other attorney basically sent me a lowball on a template she probably downloaded from the Net. Therefore, we had lots of additions and changes.

    There was some nasty interplay between them, copying me, the producer, Buddha and anyone else who might be interested.

    So to cut to the chase, the producer asked me to put together a line list of everything I was asking for and send it to him. I did. Their "final counter" is coming today.

    Bearing in mind that I only asked for what is considered "fair and standard," aka, instead of a 24-month, $1 option (!), 12 months at $1,000, 2.5% of the budget with a floor and ceiling, etc., I'm fairly sure they're going to try to "F" me.The question is, "how bad?"

    I'm sorry it took so long to get to this, but I'm curious as to how many people here have finally acquiesced to a lowball proposal in order to get their film made? I mean, I'm fairly certain my hands are tied as they want to start shooting this spring. So this has to get done and soon.

    Also, if you did get screwed, did it ruin the whole experience of finally getting a feature made? I'm tired of pitching this project and need to move on, so starting from square one isn't an option.

    I'd appreciate any and all thoughts. Thank you.

  • #2
    Re: When do you say, "I GIVE?"

    Nobody can tell you what to do here.

    Generally, my feeling is that if people can't afford to pay you for an option, their ability to get the film made is probably negligible. But it has to be said that $10k/year options + WGA scale rewrite have gotten a lot rarer.

    12 months at $1k is a total deal for them.

    It comes down to how much you think they have the ability to actually do something with the script. If you think they might be really able to turn around and get it made, maybe it's worth it. If not, it's okay to walk away. If they were interested in it, then chances are someone else would be, too.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: When do you say, "I GIVE?"

      Wait until you see their offer before you panic. Then weigh it. Is it something you can live with? Is it ridiculous? And be honest. They're banking on your desperation. And then think about what it is in these negotiations that are deal breakers for you. Credit? If this is non-Union, assured credit would be a deal breaker for me. Money? Up to you. See what they offer before "You give".

      I wish you good fortune.... and don't let this consume your life.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: When do you say, "I GIVE?"

        Thanks, guys.

        I decided to go for it. I've already pitched this script around ad nauseam, and need to move forward on other projects. And these guys can definitely get it made.

        The money's not great, but the credit(s) I'm getting, are.

        Hopefully, if this "launches" me in any way, this bull.... will be well worth it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: When do you say, "I GIVE?"

          They can't **** you if you don't let them.

          No, i have not and will not accept a lowball offer. My reps have advised against it, too, and I trust them. Now there is negotiations that go back and forth for several passes and the agreement changes. Each come to what they are willing to agree. We have and are willing to walk way, in a gentle, positive and respectful manner, from lowball offers.

          Understanding your bottom line makes the decision easier. And this is all on you. If you can live with the deal you sign nothing else matters.

          Good luck and I hope it works out.
          "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: When do you say, "I GIVE?"

            Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            They can't **** you if you don't let them.

            No, i have not and will not accept a lowball offer. My reps have advised against it, too, and I trust them. Now there is negotiations that go back and forth for several passes and the agreement changes. Each come to what they are willing to agree. We have and are willing to walk way, in a gentle, positive and respectful manner, from lowball offers.

            Understanding your bottom line makes the decision easier. And this is all on you. If you can live with the deal you sign nothing else matters.

            Good luck and I hope it works out.
            Thanks.

            Currently, I'm rep-less.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: When do you say, "I GIVE?"

              Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
              Thanks.

              Currently, I'm rep-less.
              I know it's tough, but you're actually doing a good job at trying to protect yourself, and have received a lot of good advice from the great writers with lots of experience.

              I'm sure you'll make a deal that you're happy with. You can still make this happen even with without reps. I'm cheering for you in the stands!
              "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: When do you say, "I GIVE?"

                Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                Wait until you see their offer before you panic. Then weigh it. Is it something you can live with? Is it ridiculous? And be honest. They're banking on your desperation. And then think about what it is in these negotiations that are deal breakers for you. Credit? If this is non-Union, assured credit would be a deal breaker for me. Money? Up to you. See what they offer before "You give".

                I wish you good fortune.... and don't let this consume your life.
                EF, can I pm you?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: When do you say, "I GIVE?"

                  I've optioned a small budget feature a couple times in the past and while it's a step, it's a long ways from getting a film made. I just want to keep you realistic. A lot of time it's pocket change and a year goes by and you get it back.

                  Hopefully that's not the case here but a lot can happen or not happen.

                  Good luck.
                  Quack.

                  Writer on a cable drama.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: When do you say, "I GIVE?"

                    Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                    I've optioned a small budget feature a couple times in the past and while it's a step, it's a long ways from getting a film made. I just want to keep you realistic. A lot of time it's pocket change and a year goes by and you get it back.

                    Hopefully that's not the case here but a lot can happen or not happen.

                    Good luck.
                    Yes indeed. I'm all too aware.

                    Thanjs Q.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: When do you say, "I GIVE?"

                      Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                      I know it's tough, but you're actually doing a good job at trying to protect yourself, and have received a lot of good advice from the great writers with lots of experience.

                      I'm sure you'll make a deal that you're happy with. You can still make this happen even with without reps. I'm cheering for you in the stands!

                      Thanks so much. Back atcha. Wish you the best with whatever you have going on.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X