Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Co-writer for just the first draft

I have been thinking a lot lately about how to increase my productivity and as a result increase my chance of making it. I was struck by the realization that at best I can write 2 polished screenplays a year. I want to have way more, as more material means a better chance of something good happening.

The one thing I have going for me is I have some extra money from successful biz ventures. I am wanting to know about co -writing and if my plan is totally stupid or a viable option.

I wanted to hire a co-writer to write the first drafts of several of my somewhat developed ideas. I would work with them to develop a rough outline and have a dialog about characters and events in the script then send them off to write the first draft for an agreed upon fee. When done I would take the first draft and turn it into a polished final draft that I would own and shop. We would be credited as co-writers. It seems to me like a win-win. I greatly increase my production and have 4-6 polished scripts at the end of the year as apposed to 2. The co-writer has made money and has a piece of material out in the world that if purchased will help him get in the game just like me.

I just fear that I am missing something because I have not really heard of this arrangement before. I am sort of mixing producer and writer in a way. I have heard of co-writers who work together from start to finish on all drafts or scripts that get passed around town for countless re-writes. I would pay special care to get an entertainment lawyer to make sure everything was kosher and that in the end I would own the property. I have proven to myself both in my schooling and professional life (editor) that I am a phenomenal editor and script doctor, but painfully slow to start from scratch. By working with someone else on the first draft I am playing to my strengths. Would really appreciate any feedback. Also if I went forward with my idea would I have to pay what the WGA requires for a first draft to get it looked at or is that not a thing for non-established writers.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Getting Co-writer for just the first draft

Originally posted by Sandro_9 View Post
    I have been thinking a lot lately about how to increase my productivity and as a result increase my chance of making it. I was struck by the realization that at best I can write 2 polished screenplays a year. I want to have way more, as more material means a better chance of something good happening.
    Great material gives you a better chance. Always go for quality and don't worry so much about quantity, of course. Also, when someone comes in the door with a bunch of scripts and nothing has ever happened for them yet, it makes people wonder. The vast majority of writers need to fully write a few scripts at least, on their own, and learn the craft by doing that first. Those scripts go in a drawer and from there hopefully write two or three really well-written scripts that get them attention and their careers going.

The one thing I have going for me is I have some extra money from successful biz ventures. I am wanting to know about co -writing and if my plan is totally stupid or a viable option.
    It's not stupid if you want to be a producer. It's only viable if you have a bit of money to spend.

I wanted to hire a co-writer to write the first drafts of several of my somewhat developed ideas. I would work with them to develop a rough outline and have a dialog about characters and events in the script then send them off to write the first draft for an agreed upon fee. When done I would take the first draft and turn it into a polished final draft that I would own and shop. We would be credited as co-writers. It seems to me like a win-win. I greatly increase my production and have 4-6 polished scripts at the end of the year as apposed to 2. The co-writer has made money and has a piece of material out in the world that if purchased will help him get in the game just like me.
    Here is the problem you will almost surely face. When a script is written by a team of writers, Hollywood wants that same team to keep working together to give them that "Barton Fink feeling." They want the both of you or the three of you, or whatever. That's how it basically works. Doesn't matter what the reality is; to them the only way the script got like it is was by having both writers work on it. You'll be stuck with that person, so to speak, for awhile very possibly. Maybe not the end of the world if you like them, but get a writing partner you trust, like and enjoy working with instead and vice versa -- not random writers to get different scripts done because you can't knock out a first draft.

I just fear that I am missing something because I have not really heard of this arrangement before. I am sort of mixing producer and writer in a way. I have heard of co-writers who work together from start to finish on all drafts or scripts that get passed around town for countless re-writes. I would pay special care to get an entertainment lawyer to make sure everything was kosher and that in the end I would own the property. I have proven to myself both in my schooling and professional life (editor) that I am a phenomenal editor and script doctor, but painfully slow to start from scratch. By working with someone else on the first draft I am playing to my strengths. Would really appreciate any feedback. Also if I went forward with my idea would I have to pay what the WGA requires for a first draft to get it looked at or is that not a thing for non-established writers.
    As noted above, regardless of the paperwork and all, Hollywood will see you and the other writer as a team. It will surely be even stranger if you have multiple scripts each with a different writer. They want writers who can do it all from start to finish. They are not looking for some guy or gal who comes in after the heavy lifting was all done and polishes things. (Yes, there are people who do this, but that really won't apply in this situation.)

By hiring someone to write a first draft for you, the only thing you are really highlighting is your dependency on others to get a script done.

And you are only required to pay WGA rates if you are WGA signatory (and are hiring WGA writers or ones who will have to join). Granted writers would be thrilled to get that rate or more, but more than likely you'll be dealing with writers who would be willing -- fair or not -- to do it for much less.

If you have a good deal of money and want to play producer then sure hire writers. I'm sure there are many out there who would be thrilled to get paid. But you should really be doing this if you are looking to be a producer only AND are doing this so you can produce independent films where Hollywood's pigeon holing doesn't apply for the most part. You'd be your own boss getting indie films made and no one will really care.

The above is a slightly over simplified version of it all; it's still a little early. But hopefully it can help in some fashion. Some others will surely chime in as well.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Ron Bass did it.

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/aug...nment/ca-20955

just write one thing that is undeniable. that's hard enough.

Comment

Thanks so much for such a thorough response! Look forward to more.

If I didn't care about credits could I just set myself up as a producer who hires writers to turn ideas into scripts and then tries to sell them.

Comment

Thanks so much for such a thorough response! Look forward to more.

If I didn't care about credits could I just set myself up as a producer who hires writers to turn ideas into scripts and then tries to sell them.
          Sure. That's what producers do in many to most cases. But I would be really careful with that unless you have "money to burn," so to speak.

Keep in mind though... What type of films you are trying to get made? What is the market for them? What size budgets would they be? Distribution issues & problems, etc., etc. There is a lot to keep up with, of course. It takes good deal of hustling, perseverance, wheeling & dealing, an understanding financing, story sense, etc. to be a producer. Definitely take the time to learn about all that even if you are hoping to set up stuff with either bigger producer/production companies and or studios.
          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-30-2017, 10:18 AM.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Will's done a great job of painting the landscape.

Writing partnerships are viewed by the industry as one unit and as you experience success, the industry will continue to view you as a single unit moving forward.

I'm actually in the process now of extricating myself from a partnership. You could say I broke in as a team, sold and developed a digital series together. Afterwards, everyone counseled us to remain together, ride the wave, but due to different interests and styles, we've decided to also work independently.

But to work independently, I need individual samples and individual credits. Having the experience is great, but at the end of the day, folks are judging me on my own work alone, the other stuff is just gravy.

If producing is more of interest, that's a definite possibility, and might be more in line with what you want to do, which is help develop and steer a concept's execution, but yeah, it takes resources to bankroll and even more importantly, it requires a strong industry network to pitch your projects.

Comment

What OP is describing isn't a co-write. It's a producer/writer relationship. Giving another writer the general gist of the story and talking about characters and then sending them off to do the first draft is what a producer does -- not what a writing partner does.

Comment

Working...
              X