Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith-Based scripts?

Reading over the latest Inktip newsletter and there is a listing for a faith-based script that a producer is looking for. It got me thinking about one of my scripts, but I didn't write it with a "faith-based" mindset. But it does have themes of redemption and faith in a higher power.

I realized that I really don't know what faith-based means in context to that genre of movie.

In the current state of the genre, but is meant by faith-based? Is this only from a Christian perspective? Or religions? The fundamental human emotions of doing right by people regardless of any particular faith?
    Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Re: Faith-Based scripts?

Honestly, I think when most people ask for a "faith-based" script they're looking for something about as subtle as a sledge hammer. Most often with a certain Protestant slant and making sure we "get the message".

Obviously I have no idea if that's what this person is looking for.

If it's something you've got just lying around anyway, I don't see how it would hurt to approach him / her with it. I might be dead wrong about what they're looking for.
    "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Oft-times they say "does not have to be overtly religious...", which lets you off the hook.

But if they didn't say this, send it along (keeping in mind its sex/profanity content if any) and make all your arguments in the query. If the story is what you say, then if you can convince them of such they can just add/change it to what they want - they will anyway.

And you collect the fame and $.

Comment

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
        Reading over the latest Inktip newsletter and there is a listing for a faith-based script that a producer is looking for. It got me thinking about one of my scripts, but I didn't write it with a "faith-based" mindset. But it does have themes of redemption and faith in a higher power.

I realized that I really don't know what faith-based means in context to that genre of movie.

In the current state of the genre, but is meant by faith-based? Is this only from a Christian perspective? Or religions? The fundamental human emotions of doing right by people regardless of any particular faith?
        Maybe take a look at this article to see if it might help some:

http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...314-story.html

You can also run searches via Google, of course, and the results will contain various discussions of what faith films are like and give plenty of examples. That might also help you better see if your script "matches" with what they are looking for.
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Rich Peluso of Sony/Affirm, mentioned in your link, was on my target list back in 2013. I think posting his response to my query about "do you take pitches?" is useful. It was unexpected, and is generally pretty typical of things, then and now, at that studio's level:

Thank you for reaching out to us- we appreciate your interest in considering AFFIRM Films / Sony Pictures as a home for your projects.

Our focus here at AFFIRM Films is the acquisition of finished or near finished faith-based, family and inspirational films that are financed and produced independently.

Unless we have a track record of prior acquisition success with a partner, we don't read/review or option scripts, books, stories or other source material. We rely on the many independent producers in the marketplace that review and acquire those rights/materials and fund and produce projects that we, along with other studios, evaluate for acquisition and distribution.

We'd be interested in learning more about your project, assuming it fits within our focus, if and when you reach a point where you have a production entity attached, as well as full funding to start and complete production.

We wish you all the best on your journey to find the right partner(s) for your project.

Best Regards,
          I had (still have) something that's faith-based within an apocalyptic allegory. However, it absolutely doesn't feature the "fellow with a beard and a halo" at the end, which is definitely something to make faith-based traditional audiences cry foul.

But I figured since the message is the same... anyway Peluso never got a chance to see it.

I did send it once to the Kairos Prize faith-based contest, but same thing: Too atypical, I'm sure. Still, going by the content of the link, maybe the industry is prepared to look a bit outside the box these days.

Comment

Thanks, Will...

So, faith-based is code for Christian (not anti-Christian, since I am Catholic myself). They just should say so, if that is what the emphasis they are looking for. I contacted Inktip to get more details of what is really being asked for.

My story has redemption, but it also has sex and death. So, I think I have just answered my own question/concerns.

Thanks. I have been away from DD for far too long.
            Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Faith based almost always means Christian. If you want examples from the genre, I'd look up most anything Kevin Sorbo or David A.R. White have starred in over the past couple of years (I remember "God's Not Dead" gathered a lot of attention a couple of years ago - though not all of it positive).

Comment

Totally coincidental, but today I discovered this guy's blog on the biz and have been going through all the stuff of interest.

As for this thread, there was an article from 2016:

https://stephenfollows.com/ascension-of-christian-films

I never thought "Soul Surfer" was faith-based, but I suppose so.

Blog Index FYI: https://stephenfollows.com/blog/all
                Last edited by catcon; 05-06-2018, 09:15 AM. Reason: Added the blog INDEX link

Comment

Here in the US, people assume faith based means Christian. Noah, Moses, Abraham, and God, just to name a few, do not solely belong to the Christian faith. They're heroes of all 3 religions (Islam, Judaism, and Christianity, in-case you don't know the big 3).
                  I submitted a Christian script to a call for faith based movies and was told "It's not faith based, It's just a Christian story."
                  I guess it all depends on the producer's interpretation.

Comment

Working...
                  X