I'm finished, how to make the next step?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm finished, how to make the next step?

Hi guys.

I didn't know where to post this topic, so I posted it here. If I posted it in the wrong place, I'm sorry, you can move it to where it should be.

I'm finally finished with my first ever movie script. I triple checked everything, re-written, re-arranged it etc. and made it ready to (hopefully) be sold. Problem is, I'm in a complex situation to make that second step and I would like someone with experience to help me out. I'll dissect my whole situation for you to understand my situation and then I'll list the questions I have regarding sending and selling my script to the world of Hollywood below it. If I forgot to ask some very important questions or if there's anything else I should know, please reply. Bare with me as I'm very new to screenwriting and I'm doing this for the very first time, so I'm sure you can imagine how determined I am to do this right.

Before you read everything, know that I've done my homework. I realize how hard/almost impossible it will be to sell my script, especially (as you will soon see) being in my position, I realize all of it, but I simply refuse to be discouraged by it and I want to face this challenge. I just kindly ask you guys to point me in the right direction and whatever happens, happens. So, here goes...

I don't live in the US. I live in Europe and for most of you, I'm probably just a kid cause I've barely entered my 20s. I haven't taken any professionally guided screenwriting courses or anything as there simply aren't any in my country since screenwriting here is basically non existent, so I learned on my own by reading every instructional material I could find on various screenwriting sites or by asking people here on the forums who were kind enough to help me out. I realize those are the things that could be my biggest problems when trying to sell a script, but like I said, I still want to see what happens.

Now, to the questions (again bare with me, most of these questions will seem idiotic to you, but it is what is, I can't know if I don't ask. I'd appreciate if you could answer them as clearly as possible as there will probably be confusion on my part, it will be a lot to take in):

1.) Being from a different continent, I think it must be a very different procedure when it comes to sending and selling a script (I might be wrong) to Hollywood, so what changes as oppose to me living in the US? What do I need to know?

2.) I'm pretty sure I need a legal representative. How does that work? I'm not sure there is a legal representative for screenplays in my country, there are regular lawyers though, so who do I go to for this? Do I have to get in contact with one of the legal representatives in US for this?

3.) How to get to any Hollywood contact? Do I have to send a query letter in an e-mail to the film studio, introduce myself and say I have a script I'd like to sell and wait for their approval of me sending it to them? How do I let someone in Hollywood know I have a script? Or does a legal representative do that for me when I find one?

4.) Being in my position, do I need to ship a printed script via regular overseas mail or can I send a script file in an e-mail? Also, if there even is such a thing as sending a script via e-mail, does that mean I need to export it as PDF file from Final Draft and send it like that?

5.) Am I allowed to send my script to multiple studios at the same time or I have to send to only one at a time? The latter doesn't make sense to me as it would take me years if I sent it to one studio and then waited to see if they reject me or not so I can move to the next one. I want to maximize my chances of finding a buyer, but I don't know if sending it to multiple studios at once has legal consequences?

6.) I read that, along with a script, I need a logline. I don't have that. I know it's a one sentence or two sentences short synopsis of what the script is about, but where do I include it? Do I write that in Final Draft on the first page or do I have to use a different program for it? Do I need to have a logline page? I only have a script and a title page.

7.) I made my title page as instructed, but I only included a cellphone number at the bottom left corner of the page. Do I have to include an e-mail too or is a cellphone number enough?

8.) Is there anything else I need to include except a script in flesh, a title page and a logline?

Those are the questions I felt it's necessary to ask, but I realize there might be more, so I kindly ask that you answer all my un-asked questions that are vital for me to do the procedure the right way. I know it's a long post and a hassle too, I'm sorry, but I guess that shows how important this is to me.
    ''Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.''

Re: I'm finished, how to make the next step?

I'll give you my thoughts here, many others will I'm sure as well.

1.) Being from a different continent, I think it must be a very different procedure when it comes to sending and selling a script (I might be wrong) to Hollywood, so what changes as oppose to me living in the US? What do I need to know?

As a new writer, not living in Hollywood, the process will be much the same for you as someone living in Chicago or Toronto. The only downside is you wouldn't be able to sit down at a meeting with someone, but that likely won't be requested.

2.) I'm pretty sure I need a legal representative. How does that work? I'm not sure there is a legal representative for screenplays in my country, there are regular lawyers though, so who do I go to for this? Do I have to get in contact with one of the legal representatives in US for this?

You would want a manager to represent you, and your script, in the States. Manager contact info is available vie Done Dial Pro subscription and lists several management companies info as a start. If a sale is made you would likely hire a lawyer to review the contract you are offered. If the deal is large enough you will end up bringing in an agent, but that is unlikely for a first time writer.

3.) How to get to any Hollywood contact? Do I have to send a query letter in an e-mail to the film studio, introduce myself and say I have a script I'd like to sell and wait for their approval of me sending it to them? How do I let someone in Hollywood know I have a script? Or does a legal representative do that for me when I find one?

First you query managers and keep your fingers crossed, but it is unlikely one script will be enough to attract a manager. Done Deal lists tons of production company info, and IMDB pro will give you even more info which you can use to establish an address book so to speak for folks you can send emails to with a query letter.

4.) Being in my position, do I need to ship a printed script via regular overseas mail or can I send a script file in an e-mail? Also, if there even is such a thing as sending a script via e-mail, does that mean I need to export it as PDF file from Final Draft and send it like that?

Yes, you save it as a PDF and attach it, only after it has been requested. No printed mailing needed.

5.) Am I allowed to send my script to multiple studios at the same time or I have to send to only one at a time? The latter doesn't make sense to me as it would take me years if I sent it to one studio and then waited to see if they reject me or not so I can move to the next one. I want to maximize my chances of finding a buyer, but I don't know if sending it to multiple studios at once has legal consequences?

Send it to as many people who will read it and to as many as you feel like at the same time. No legalities to worry about here. Should you land a manager they will have their own strategy for going wide with your project.

6.) I read that, along with a script, I need a logline. I don't have that. I know it's a one sentence or two sentences short synopsis of what the script is about, but where do I include it? Do I write that in Final Draft on the first page or do I have to use a different program for it? Do I need to have a logline page? I only have a script and a title page.

Logline goes in your querry letter. It's often the first or second sentence as you introduce the project to someone. Keep it to one sentence. Then in another paragraph you give a 1-2 sentence summary of the plot, then ask them if you can submit it. Research querry letters for further info.

7.) I made my title page as instructed, but I only included a cellphone number at the bottom left corner of the page. Do I have to include an e-mail too or is a cellphone number enough?

Include your email.

8.) Is there anything else I need to include except a script in flesh, a title page and a logline?

Nope.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Once you have written ten scripts you will look back at this script and realize how horrible your writing was. It's just how it goes.

Rather than querying now, you should write your next 1-2 projects then circle back to this one and see if you have improved, then give querrying a go.
    Eric
    www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRaven View Post
      Hi guys...
      You're demonstrating one of the important skills of a writer: Curiosity, and the willingness to ask questions. However, "Google is your friend" is one rule to remember, and you can be sure that these questions have been asked here already. Few here are going to have the time to respond to all of these, and they may take their sweet time anyway, and offer incredibly conflicting responses.

So since the q's are on Google, or can be found here on DDPro using its good search tool here, I'd spend a few days in the DIY (do it yourself) mode, first.

1. I pitch world-wide, and there is virtually no difference in the process.

2. It may be too soon for a lawyer; the basic copyright rules are going to apply due to the international conventions. Any entertainment lawyer can evaluate an offer you get. So you can wait till you have an offer (which probably won't happen till you have a few scripts under your belt)

However, do any future lawyer a favor: Register the copyright on your scripts; simple writers' guild registration is not equivalent in terms of legal protection.

3. Google, or look up the topics on the first 10 pages (at least) of this topic (Business) to see some how's and who's.

4. Almost nobody asks for hard copies nowadays. All via email; some generous companies allow on-line submission through their own portals. Mostly via PDF..

5. This sounds like you're talking about sending unsolicited submissions. You have to query (ask them), first.

6. You need a logline. Also you should prepare a synopsis. Neither is part of the script file itself. Info is all on Google.

7. Different rules for different folks. Nobody who's a professional is going to toss a script because of something amiss on the cover page.

8. I don't know what "a script in flesh" is, but it sounds juicy!

So: Google. The search tool here in DDPro. Or just work your way through at least the first 10 pages of the Business and Screenwriting topics here to get a flavor of what's ahead for you.

G'luck.

Comment

Hi guys.

I didn't know where to post this topic, so I posted it here. If I posted it in the wrong place, I'm sorry, you can move it to where it should be.

I'm finally finished with my first ever movie script. I triple checked everything, re-written, re-arranged it etc. and made it ready to (hopefully) be sold.
        First, has anyone else read your script first? Have you had three or four different people at least read it and offer feedback? People that know how to write a script? Have read scripts? Understand story telling, film making, etc.? If not, you should do that first. You should be able to find someone here who might be willing to help out or even on some other sites & communities.

Though I'm more folks will jump in while write & re-write this, I'll throw a few quick thoughts out before my day gets going, in case it might help:

It is ideal? No. But does it happen every week? Yes. We list film and TV deals all the time for companies making deals with writers outside the U.S. Don't worry so much about that. I'd say to start don't even bring it up in your email or on the title page of your script. Let your writing do the talking first. Then worry about the rest from there.

An entertainment lawyer is really who you would want to read over a contract/agreement. Someone who knows the business. And/or an agent. Also, keep in mind most agents and lawyers will not look to deal with a new writer. It will be tough. At least with an entertainment lawyer, if you are willing to pay $400 and up an hour they will often consider helping you. (Agents aren't for hire. At least not good ones.)

And in terms of finding some kind of rep, as Harbak noted above, managers are generally your better bet for finding a rep the first time out. Agents want writers with heat on them and they can sell quickly, in most cases. Lawyers want money for their time. But managers are many times more open to someone new and developing their talent.

You don't write studios. Steven Spielberg, Jerry Bruckheimer, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, etc. etc. they can reach out to studios or better yet have their people reach out. How do you get the word about your script? All kinds of ways. The most common still is an email query letter. You put together a list of companies that you are interested in working with and work your way out from there. Collect e-mail address via, research, etc. There are various discussions about this all over the forum. Rather than blather on here, maybe go look around a little and decide what sounds right for you to start with.

Don't mail anything. You e-mail PDF copies of your script. Most to almost all scripts are sent via e-mail today.

Again, you don't send things to studios. Established producers, directors, actors, agents, managers, etc. can. But you really don't and shouldn't. (Your call though.) New writers should focus more on writing whatever production companies as you like to see if maybe a few will show any interest. Until someone options it or signs some exclusivity agreement with you, you're welcome to reach out to any and all.

You need a logline to include in the body of your query e-mail. You don't put it on your script. Or at least you shouldn't really. Title page, then script.

I would say only include your email address. A phone number will tip them off you are from out of the country. Granted that shouldn't matter to people. Only the quality of your writing should. But life isn't fair. So just give them an email address and "force" them to use that to contact you. This can work well since it will give you a paper trail of all discussed and a record of who it was. If they ask, fine send your number. But I'd say hold off for now. Not a huge deal if you include it, but I feel e-mail is generally better.

Write a simple query e-mail. Try to tailor it to each company when possible so it doesn't seem to much like a boilerplate mass emailing. You don't have to go overboard doing that, though. Don't send a PDF/copy of your script unless they request it first. Send a query letter with your logline and see if they would be willing to read it. Most will probably not write back. Some may write back and say, "No." Then a handful or so might agree to read it but will request you sign a release form to protect themselves.
        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-20-2018, 09:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

The others here have given you good advice as to what steps you should take. However, I'm going to be honest with you and say that since this is your very first script, chances are you're not ready to take it out. In fact, you're probably far from being ready. It takes most writers--let's say 99% of them--several years/scripts to have something that's worth showing the town. That's just how it is. Even if you have innate talent, most people write shitty script after shitty script before finally getting any traction. So my advice to you would be to slow it down, write a bunch of scripts, and send those out to friends (preferably other writers) for notes. Join a writers group to get feedback (or form one if there's not one in your area), and keep getting better. One of these days you'll produce something that makes everyone go, "Holy ****balls, this is ****ing awesome!", and that's the one you send out.

Comment

write about 9 more

Comment

And I didn't mean to sound snarky about "Google is your friend" (ie. look up the answers yourself). It's just that the answers to stock q's are out there, and once you look up stuff you usually find the correct order of events in the writing process, not simply the answers to the individual questions. Meaning: Some of the questions posed are not relevant at this stage of your career.

When I checked my own profile, I saw that compared to the 9 questions in the OP's post, I've only initiated (asked questions) a dozen times here in my 8 years in this place, among my 1500 posts.

That's because the answers to my questions, and the answers to questions I didn't even know I had, or should ask, have all been posted.

Although the responses have come fast and furious today (people seem extra nice today, a Monday morning at that!), sometimes one has to wait a long time to get replies here or elsewhere -- and I'm notoriously impatient, so that's why I'm big on DIY.

Comment

Holy, thank you guys very much for replying so quickly and in detail, this is extremely helpful.

I will answer some of your questions here as many of you have legit concerns.

First of all, yes, I have sent my script out to people who read it and gave me feedback. I went the unusual route though.

I had my family members read it and they loved it, but I know they can't be 100% objective, so I sent it to three of my closest friends who read it and forwarded it to few of their trusted friends - who I never met. I wanted that because that's the only way I could've gotten an objective feedback back, not one led by family/friendship emotion and stuff, but rather legit constructive criticism. They all read it (8 people) and they all loved it. That was a huge boost for me, especially since almost everyone picked up on a different thing they liked the most in the script etc.

I did re-write some small things a few days ago though when I asked a few more questions here on the forum, but the re-writes didn't include any scene changes or anything, just formatting re-writes. With that, I wanted to polish the script even more because I got legit positive reviews. Of course, I am a realist. Just because they liked it doesn't mean those producers etc. will like it also. But I am happy that those people honestly loved it. And to me, that's a huge plus cause those who watch the movie are the ones that matter the most, and all of those who reviewed my script do. I may be young, but I'm not stupid.

Also, I am pretty much ready to start writing another script, I got an idea in my head, many ideas, but I wanted to send this first one out. I just have faith. And if it fails, ok, but I want to try with this first one.

As for your other replies, it's a lot to take in, I will re-read it a few more times to make sure I don't miss anything. One thing that made me very happy is that e-mailing scripts is the way to go, that puts my mind at ease from the start. I will put my e-mail on the title page, remove the phone number as @Done Deal Pro made a good point about phone numbers. Then I'll write a log line, save it and then see how to write a query letter and check who to send it to and go from there.

Just to make sure I got it right after the first read - I should write a query letter first, include only a logline in it, without attaching a PDF script and send it to as many production companies as I want, change the query letters a bit so they don't look like spam and IF any of them reply back and are interested, THEN I go find a lawyer/agent, not before, right?
                ''Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.''

Comment

Working...
                X