Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Agencies

I'm pretty new to the business and have a question for the more seasoned pros on this forum.

I'm at a big agency now and unhappy there for a variety of reasons. I have recently completed a new pilot and a big producer who I've worked with before is reading it now. If big producer attaches, big producer's agency will take it out but it's the same one that I want to leave.

I have contacts at other agencies, so my question is do I fire my current agency and then reach out to other agencies, or can I reach out before and say I'm looking to make a change, have a new pilot, etc.,

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Switching Agencies

I was in your situation 2 years ago.
    I switched and... best decision I made in a long time.
    Do you have a manager and a lawyer?

Comment

I'd say wait and see how this producer reacts. If he loves it, your current agency will be doubly motivated to package it for you the two of you. If he doesn't, move forward with your plan of leaving, with this new project as bait for someone new.

But you should fire your agent before you put out the feelers. It's squirrelly not to.
      https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

assuming you have a manager or lawyer I would discuss your desire to switch agents with them and see what they say.

very often (as was my case) your other reps will have relationships with agents and will slip your work to them PRIOR to you hitting the eject button on Agent #1. the thinking is that it's better to have a door open in front of you before you close the one behind you.

the timing won't matter anyway. you most likely won't sign with someone else at the same agency and agents don't exactly know what happens at other agencies. so by the time you have your new agent lined up, you fire the other one. he might ask if you've signed with anyone and your vague answer would be "I'm getting some meetings lined up"

I would do that. Also get some high-profile fans to chip in. Often they know better based on what kind of material various agents send them. Your manager might like Ben over at UTA because they hit Vegas together once a month, but is Ben really the right guy for you? Conversely, the exec or producer who loves your work won't have as much of a dog in the race.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X