No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do the pros end a query?

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    many companies require you to sign a release before they will ever accept your script. they have to protect themselves from potential litigation first. they have a "no unsolicited policy." respect their policy, send a query, if the logline is strong enough they will ask you to send the script, at which point it becomes "solicited."

the last thing an unrepped writer needs is to be placed on a "block writer" list.

i feel you, but i've never heard of anyone getting a legitimate read that way. has that worked for you? has it worked for anyone else?

if it's your rep sending it to someone they have a relationship with, it's a different story.

all advice is welcome.
    No offense meant.

I disagree. I get that many companies have the standard release, but they can always ask you to sign it after they've peeked at the script. Would you peek at a script that sounded "RAD!"? I would. They might too.

Take last week for example: I'm not "supposed" to contact the producer myself, but I did, and he got right back to me.

I think the more time you can save people the more they like you.

There's no law that says they can't peek at your script. It's just standard practice to require a release. If they peek at the first few pages, and dig it, they're WAY more likely to send a release. Play the game HARD I say.

I don't follow the "rules" because I don't believe they work.
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

> I won't tell you how I responded ; what would you folks do?

I sent everything (2 synopses, 2 scripts, and the full pitch for the 'duo').

But, I've had doubts ever since. On the one hand, the person responding to the emails was just an info@ type and it would seem strange s/he'd be allowed to authorize a release+read. But on the other, the release is as per normal, with all the usual 'description of submission contents' etc.

That last factor is what won me over, since I've filled in simpler releases that really seemed just to be 'pitch releases', whereas this one was the standard type that allowed me to enter log, # pages, etc. ie. the type of thing that usually accompanies PDFs.

I had received reads from this company on prior feature pitches, but their unenthusiastic response after doing the read was always that they were really focusing on TV, and on their website it's a blizzard of kiddie shows.

I just figured anybody associated with family programming wouldn't want to pass up something akin to the wonderful "Bridge to Terabithia", both in terms of quality/recognition and revenue it generated.

So, we'll see what happens!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
        No offense meant.

I disagree. I get that many companies have the standard release, but they can always ask you to sign it after they've peeked at the script. Would you peek at a script that sounded "RAD!"? I would. They might too.

Take last week for example: I'm not "supposed" to contact the producer myself, but I did, and he got right back to me.

I think the more time you can save people the more they like you.

There's no law that says they can't peek at your script. It's just standard practice to require a release. If they peek at the first few pages, and dig it, they're WAY more likely to send a release. Play the game HARD I say.

I don't follow the "rules" because I don't believe they work.
        no offense taken.

i don't know if you're right. it'd be nice to think you're right, cuz i got a killer opening page. i've just always found following their policy is respectful. i don't know.

i mean, i don't even think my manager at the time would send my script out without calling the contact first, you know, to set the stage. make sure it's cool.

it'd be interesting to get a vibe on what others on the board have experienced.

i have included a link to the black list so they can easily download a pdf. curious though.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
          > I won't tell you how I responded ; what would you folks do?

I sent everything (2 synopses, 2 scripts, and the full pitch for the 'duo').

But, I've had doubts ever since. On the one hand, the person responding to the emails was just an info@ type and it would seem strange s/he'd be allowed to authorize a release+read. But on the other, the release is as per normal, with all the usual 'description of submission contents' etc.

That last factor is what won me over, since I've filled in simpler releases that really seemed just to be 'pitch releases', whereas this one was the standard type that allowed me to enter log, # pages, etc. ie. the type of thing that usually accompanies PDFs.

I had received reads from this company on prior feature pitches, but their unenthusiastic response after doing the read was always that they were really focusing on TV, and on their website it's a blizzard of kiddie shows.

I just figured anybody associated with family programming wouldn't want to pass up something akin to the wonderful "Bridge to Terabithia", both in terms of quality/recognition and revenue it generated.

So, we'll see what happens!
          I believe you took the right approach. She can easily forward your email up the chain this way. Less steps. Better odds you won't fall through the cracks IMO.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            no offense taken.

i don't know if you're right. it'd be nice to think you're right, cuz i got a killer opening page. i've just always found following their policy is respectful. i don't know.

i mean, i don't even think my manager at the time would send my script out without calling the contact first, you know, to set the stage. make sure it's cool.

it'd be interesting to get a vibe on what others on the board have experienced.

i have included a link to the black list so they can easily download a pdf. curious though.
            I think it depends on who it's going to.

Manager/Agent? = I'd just send it.

Prodco/Studio? = I'd definitely set the stage first.

I guess, for me, it would also depend on if I knew them, and how well.

...One guy's opinion. Curious what others think as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
              MAKE IT EASY for them to just read it. You're adding an EXTRA unnecessary step to ***STOP*** them from reading you. WHY? Just attach it. "please see script attached if you're interested."

GIVE them the script NOW! Why let them just not respond? They're WAY more likely to read it if it's right there in their face. SEND IT!
              Craig Mazin would love your gonzo approach.

Overall, I wouldn't advise this approach. The majority of the industry wouldn't consider it professional to attach a screenplay to a query. Besides them being worried of accepting a screenplay without legal cover, they also would have to worry that the attachment may have a hidden virus from some crazy who's looking for payback for some past perceived slight.

Are there exceptions?

I've never heard of one by way of a query attachment, but I have heard where a writer dropped off a script at an industry person's home where this person liked the script and contacted the writer.

I've heard of writers crossing paths with industry people and asked if they would take their script and give it a read, which some agreed to do without a signed release form.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                Craig Mazin would love your gonzo approach.

Overall, I wouldn't advise this approach. The majority of the industry wouldn't consider it professional to attach a screenplay to a query. Besides them being worried of accepting a screenplay without legal cover, they also would have to worry that the attachment may have a hidden virus from some crazy who's looking for payback for some past perceived slight.

Are there exceptions?

I've never heard of one by way of a query attachment, but I have heard where a writer dropped off a script at an industry person's home where this person liked the script and contacted the writer.

I've heard of writers crossing paths with industry people and asked if they would take their script and give it a read, which some agreed to do without a signed release form.
                Ha! I love Craig. Don't know him personally, but dude is hilarious. Hi Craig if you're listening.

Yeah, we all have a different approach. Interesting to see what works for some and not for others.

Speaking of read requests in odd scenarios, here's a mild story: So, my ex and I are at a furniture store. The girl working the register somehow learned my ex was an agent (I forget how. I think a card accidentally fell out of her wallet or something). The girl was like "O'ma'gosh, like are you an agent? Will you read my script?" My ex was caught off guard like "Uhhh... I guess." The girl was all casual like "Here's my card... email me and I'll send you my script." My eyes were like "THE FUKK JUST HAPPENED???" We leave the store and my ex is like "You think I should read it?" I'm like "HELL NO! If that chick is too dumb to ask for YOUR card her script sucks." I was like "Besides, she should have offered a discount on that $1000 lamp if she wanted a read." LOL

I couldn't believe it. What are the odds you'll run into an agent at a major who would have read your script if you weren't so stupid that you didn't know to ask for THEIR card to reach out? Weird.

To me, that's kinda the equivalent of 'asking' if you can send a something. If I'm an agent or manager I'm clicking delete. Less work to simply ignore the email. LOL

Comment

Working...
                X