Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Wide in 2019

Thought I'd start a new thread on this as most of them about the topic of going wide are from a few years ago now. I may be wrong here but the approach seems to have shifted from the days of blasting the town with 100 plus subs to a more strategised, relatively large roll out that's in stages. I've just had a script go out at and we're into around 15 or so producers, all with Studio deals.

And so now the waiting begins...

Be good to hear from other DD'ers who've had scripts go out in the last year or so and what their experiences of it all were like. The process, the strategy etc.

As things progress (or not) I'll keep folks posted.

Re: Going Wide in 2019

Yeah, it's often a smaller and more targeted net... with a much longer wait, lol. I remember always hearing how scripts "went out wide" and then a week later there's a studio buyer or multiple buyers wanting to grab it up. Now it's all about producer attachments first. Sometimes the prodcos are big enough to be buyers themselves, but generally it's a building method. Everyone wants a package now.

My latest spec (high concept everyone was super pumped about) went out 6 WEEKS ago and we're still waiting on reads from 12+ of the 15+ major prodcos it was sent to. The summer vacation season isn't helping of course, but still.

A previous spec (smaller action/thriller) first went out almost two years ago, seemingly only got me a lot of meetings and assignment opportunities, but no buyer. It stayed floating around here and there for awhile - and only just last month did it find the right producer who's now boarding and putting it together with some attachments.

Seems gone are the days a script went out without an attachment to all the top studios and someone immediately grabbed it up for seven figures.

Comment

Speaking of the shift/change of going wide, it seems like more managers do this without agents compared to like ten years ago?

When I look at the latest tracking boards, I wonder if it makes a lot of difference if an agent is "involved" in going out.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonbaek67 View Post
        Speaking of the shift/change of going wide, it seems like more managers do this without agents compared to like ten years ago?

When I look at the latest tracking boards, I wonder if it makes a lot of difference if an agent is "involved" in going out.
        My first spec we took out wide last August. We didn't have an agent involved. Had an agent at a three letter place trying to package, but we got sick of waiting and needed to strike for a variety of reasons.

True story, period. 65+ prodcos. Over the weekend had producers fighting for territories. It was a naked spec and you aren't selling a $50m adult drama without attachments. But mission accomplished as far as getting it out there and I got fans at production companies and with buyers.

Next spec in November - went to a couple three letter places first. Got two A++ listers interested but had to go one at a time for exclusivity reasons. So it took a while. Ultimately passes. Ended up going with the three best fits for producers to take to buyers. Buyers liked, but wanted a package.

So still trying to package those two.

This last one, the "strategic rollout" has been a pain in the ass. No incentive to read quickly on the part of prodcos. Takes forever. We got it to the one buyer it makes sense for, but the slow drip sucks.

Comment

Same - I’ve gone out with 4 things in the last year-ish. 2 TV shows, 2 features. It seems it’s incredibly slow going. I remember going out with stuff 4 years ago on a Friday and I’d get a bunch of responses Monday morning, like 8. Mostly passes obviously, but it seemed way quicker.

Nowadays: with the new show we’re only out to like 5 places. Haven’t heard from anyone. It’s been 6 weeks. Sh!t seems WAY sloooooooow nowadays.
          Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-17-2019, 08:18 AM.
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I'm just glad I correctly deduced what book it was. 😆

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
              I'm just glad I correctly deduced what book it was. 😆
              Ha! Was my story confusing? I'm hungover. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                Ha! Was my story confusing? I'm hungover. LOL
                Ha, no I mean based on your past details I had already deduced that was the property.

Comment

Ha, no I mean based on your past details I had already deduced that was the property.
                  Ahh gotcha. I don't really care at this point. Chick totally tried to screw me, so I'm no longer protective of her.

Comment

But, you've got a good detective eye, obviously! I didn't think I'd given it away, but I guess if you're smart, yes. LOL

Comment

Btw - what did I say that gave it away?
                      Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-17-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

This last one, the "strategic rollout" has been a pain in the ass. No incentive to read quickly on the part of prodcos. Takes forever. We got it to the one buyer it makes sense for, but the slow drip sucks.
                        Actually our job is not writing, it's 95% waiting and not hearing anything back.

Nowadays: with the new show we're only out to like 5 places. Haven't heard from anyone. It's been 6 weeks. Sh!t seems WAY sloooooooow nowadays.
                        6-8 weeks seems to be the new standard...

Comment

My manager has always been pretty good in terms of keeping me updated on who we're in with and who has passed, whether or not folks dug the script/writing or didn't vibe with it. My agents on the other hand rarely ever tell me anything unless there's strong interest.

Comment

I'm about to go out with another one in the next month or two. Still working on the draft, but we're getting closer to it being done.

That said, I think we're going wide when we do. My last two went wide, but both of those were based on true(ish) stories that we knew would be difficult to sell out of the gate, if not impossible. But my reps still sent it out.

The new one is an original thriller. Very commercial with female leads. So it should go everywhere. I'm lucky that my agent and manager still want to make spec sales rather than deal with packaging. We might end up with the same result as the last two. Lots of meetings and producers trying to package elements. But you never know. At least my reps are will to try, which is really all you can ask these days.

Comment

Btw - the irony is that my new chick looks VERY much like Rosamund Pike and is constantly asked "Are you GONE GIRL?- I met her AFTER we sold it, but was already with her when the movie came out.

She was asked this, literally, yesterday.

Btw - what did I say that gave it away?
                              I think it was just a combo of the agency, amount it sold for, resulting nominations. Nothing else jumped out at me. Just being nosy mostly haha

Comment

Working...
                              X