No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Media?

Happy Holidays, everyone.

What's your opinion on using social media to promote your scripts? And, if it doesn't suck is there a way to do it so you don't come off as a douche?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Social Media?

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
    Happy Holidays, everyone.

What's your opinion on using social media to promote your scripts? And, if it doesn't suck is there a way to do it so you don't come off as a douche?

Thanks in advance.
    I would encourage you to, at the very least, be active on Twitter. There are a lot of writers, and especially TV writers who openly tweet with other writers. There are also writers who consistently help other writers with their craft and access to showrunners and other writers, including feature writers. Not to mention managers and producers who follow them.

They also plan meet ups on the east coast and the west. It's a huge opportunity to connect with like minded people who may even read your script and pass it on.

I'm @finalact4

Just search these #s

#WGAsolidarity
    #Showrunners
    #TVwriting
    #WGAspeclist
    #WGAmixeast
    #WGAmegamix
    #standwiththeWGA
    #WGAstaffingboost
    #WRACgroup
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Just using social media to pimp a spec script is almost always going to come off as desperate. Robotard8000 did it savvy with Balls Out by (1) having a hilarious script that people actually wanted to read; and (2) dropping it on the reddit screenwriting page, as I recall, but also having an equally funny blog and twitter account that wasn't just about telling the world the script existed.

The writers I follow on social media are generally funny, wise, and helpful about the craft and business independent of whatever project they may be working on at any given time.

Comment

Also Tim Talbott (ROBOTARD8000) just posts links to his work on his Twitter page. You can't be afraid to post your stuff. No one, absolutely no one is going to rip off his FUEL-INJECTED DREAMS script. Think about it. The more you spread your work out into the world the least likely someone is going to try ripping it off. GUCCI's CARNIVORE has such a strong voice no one in their right mind is going to steal it.

I wish I could write something someone ( someone in their right mind anyways ) would want to steal.

Just my two cents

Also of course don't suck.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
          I would encourage you to, at the very least, be active on Twitter. There are a lot of writers, and especially TV writers who openly tweet with other writers. There are also writers who consistently help other writers with their craft and access to showrunners and other writers, including feature writers. Not to mention managers and producers who follow them.

They also plan meet ups on the east coast and the west. It's a huge opportunity to connect with like minded people who may even read your script and pass it on.

I'm @finalact4

Just search these #s

#WGAsolidarity
          #Showrunners
          #TVwriting
          #WGAspeclist
          #WGAmixeast
          #WGAmegamix
          #standwiththeWGA
          #WGAstaffingboost
          #WRACgroup
          Thanks so much for this, FI. You're always such a mensch. I am active on Twitter. I wasn't previously, but since I've been writing on Medium this past year, where I've gotten over 1.6k followers, I decided it was time. That said, I want to get back to my scripts. I have a rep, but she isn''t doing much.

I'll definitely follow you and the others. I'm @SherryMcGuinn1, btw. I no longer give a **** about being "anonymous."

Thanks, again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
            Also Tim Talbott (ROBOTARD8000) just posts links to his work on his Twitter page. You can't be afraid to post your stuff. No one, absolutely no one is going to rip off his FUEL-INJECTED DREAMS script. Think about it. The more you spread your work out into the world the least likely someone is going to try ripping it off. GUCCI's CARNIVORE has such a strong voice no one in their right mind is going to steal it.

I wish I could write something someone ( someone in their right mind anyways ) would want to steal.

Just my two cents

Also of course don't suck.
            Thanks a lot, Mark. Interesting.

And, I don't suck. Neither does my work. Happy Holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
              Just using social media to pimp a spec script is almost always going to come off as desperate. Robotard8000 did it savvy with Balls Out by (1) having a hilarious script that people actually wanted to read; and (2) dropping it on the reddit screenwriting page, as I recall, but also having an equally funny blog and twitter account that wasn't just about telling the world the script existed.

The writers I follow on social media are generally funny, wise, and helpful about the craft and business independent of whatever project they may be working on at any given time.
              Yep. I hear ya and I think I fall into the funny blog/twitter account category, albeit, some of my Medium work is anything but funny.

Haven't dabbled much, in Reddit.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
                Thanks so much for this, FI. You're always such a mensch. I am active on Twitter. I wasn't previously, but since I've been writing on Medium this past year, where I've gotten over 1.6k followers, I decided it was time. That said, I want to get back to my scripts. I have a rep, but she isn''t doing much.

I'll definitely follow you and the others. I'm @SherryMcGuinn1, btw. I no longer give a **** about being "anonymous."

Thanks, again.
                Okay, I'm following you.
                Last edited by finalact4; 12-23-2019, 05:13 PM.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                X