No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LA Area Code...

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    To show their respect for the first responders and law enforcement officers each night at 8pm everyone goes outside to their front yard and cheers for them, their bravery and their sacrifice.

Here in Colorado at 8pm everyone goes outside and howls (like wolves). Sorta like the Twilight Bark from 101 Dalmations but with howling instead of barking.

The governor encourages it.

I guess it's to let everyone know they aren't alone. Not sure, no one does it where I live. lol

When I lived in Cali I was in Simi Valley but I had a 310 number. As another poster said with cell phones now it probably doesn't really matter about area code as most folks keep their original state number when they move there. But I wish you well on your move and good luck.

Comment

Okay, so I was able to secure a 310 area code. It looks like slim pickings, two searches at AT&T most of the numbers left were 310-666-____. Just can't go there...

thanks for all the advice.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

... two searches at AT&T most of the numbers left were 310-666-____. Just can't go there...
        Well, it would be memorable. Too bad you don't write horror.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
          Well, it would be memorable. Too bad you don't write horror.
          My writing has a lot of horror elements. Kind of goes with the genres. I thought about it for a second but then I was like, it might freak people out actually having to dial it. haha.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I think any of the codes listed in the thread are a good option. Frankly, if there's ONE good thing to come of this Covid madness it's that it has proven how you don't need to be in Los Angeles to do what we do. I always maintained that it was mostly a ploy designed by disgruntled East Coasters working in the industry and hating LA, who simply wanted us to suffer alongside them.

Point being: if someone STILL makes you feel bad about being in CT and not having an LA number... fook 'em. So yeah, why not. Get the LA number. But it should be the last thing on anybody's mind when they're Zooming you and hearing your pitch or whatever it is.

Hello all:
            Jump to the last paragraph and skip the explanation...

Looking for some good advice. I am trying to make my move to Cali this year, I know crazy time to do it, but I figure there isn't a better time.

I have an opportunity to get a new phone number and I want to get an LA area code because 1) it may help as I search for a job and actually be considered based on my skills, 2) look better for industry people and 3) make it an easier transition once I get there and not have to disrupt new contacts with a new phone number.

I can relocate easily (or at least as easy as possible) to LA around August. There are a lot of companies that need buyers/category managers. It's just that I'm in Connecticut right now and that's about as far as you can get from LA and most companies won't even consider my resume because they don't have a relocation package.

What is the best LA area code to request?

Thank you DDPeeps.

Comment

I moved to LA from MA and kept my 774 area code. When job hunting (tech industry) after a layoff, I did get a few people questioning where I lived during phone interviews based on my area code despite my current city being on my resume. So good call on changing it IMO and good luck with the move!

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceOrphan View Post
                I moved to LA from MA and kept my 774 area code. When job hunting (tech industry) after a layoff, I did get a few people questioning where I lived during phone interviews based on my area code despite my current city being on my resume. So good call on changing it IMO and good luck with the move!
                Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
                  I think any of the codes listed in the thread are a good option. Frankly, if there's ONE good thing to come of this Covid madness it's that it has proven how you don't need to be in Los Angeles to do what we do. I always maintained that it was mostly a ploy designed by disgruntled East Coasters working in the industry and hating LA, who simply wanted us to suffer alongside them.

Point being: if someone STILL makes you feel bad about being in CT and not having an LA number... fook 'em. So yeah, why not. Get the LA number. But it should be the last thing on anybody's mind when they're Zooming you and hearing your pitch or whatever it is.
                  I heard there were problems with Zooming, is it working for meetings? I thought they were getting hacked into, no?

I'm self conscious, I don't like to be seen on video. I know I have to get over it, and will, but the thought sends me into an anxious tizzy.

Comment

I totally would've taken the 666 number. Missed opportunity there!

Comment

I heard there were problems with Zooming, is it working for meetings? I thought they were getting hacked into, no?
                      I think it's overall much better than people think. For every one report on how something went wrong, there are surely tens of thousands that were fine. The media doesn't report on the good meetings because that's boring story telling. Not downplaying some of the stupid, insensitive things Zoombombers have done but it's highly unlikely someone is going to Zoomboom a three person call for example. It's not worth it to them.

Also, Zoom has greatly stepped up its security after all the media scrutiny. My wife and/or I have done Zoom calls, FaceTime, Google Duo, Skype and even tried HouseParty last night with a couple of friends. We ended up going back to Zoom, though. (HP came off more as a "catchy" name for college kids than a great product; but they wanted to try it, so we did for a minute or two.)

You should be fine with any of the big name video calling services. I'm fine with being on camera since I'm a) a Ham and b) did quite a bit of on camera stuff back in my high school TV class. But for you, just practice some. Get a family member or two, a few friends or even some folks from here, and do a 20 minute call. Heck, just turn the camera on and sit in front of your computer and look at yourself. Get used to it all with baby steps. Test out lighting. See what works best for you. (Zoom offers the option under Settings>Camera a to "Touch up my appearance" on camera. It's a slight softening of the image since in most cases we all sit so close to the lens.)

My wife always gives me a hard time since I literally go into prep mode before all our calls due to my production background. Key light. Fill light. Background lighting. I have even used white paper as a bounce card for a little fill light, etc.

You can do it.
                      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 05-17-2020, 12:32 PM.
                      Will
                      Done Deal Pro
                      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Those were public Zoom meetings. Protected ones are fine. I was pitching on Zoom for the last year or so anyway so not much has changed for me other than producers and execs being more open to it.

The crisis has in many cases and industries demonstrated a few things about efficiency and how that is best attained. It seems high tech has taken the lessons and will strategically pivot to what they should have been doing en masse already - a distributed workforce that isn't a slave to tying folks to an office. It seems like Hollywood is embracing this as well in my anecdotal experience.

It takes getting used to. August and Mazin discussed the "lag- on their show this week. Timing can be thrown off. I just go slower than I normally do in a room. The biggest hurdle is not being able to read body language or to use your own body language to tell a story in the most compelling way.

Comment

RE: Zoom —
                          Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                          The biggest hurdle is not being able to read body language or to use your own body language to tell a story in the most compelling way.
                          It’s imperative to make every word that’s uttered account for itself, just as they ought to do when written on the proverbial page or in a Portable Document Format file (thank God it’s portable; otherwise, it would so difficult to manage as a carry-on item).
                          Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-18-2020, 08:39 AM.
                          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                          X