Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: ATTACHMENTS

How important is an attachment . Lets say I have an actor friend, reads a script, likes it and feels he would like to play a major role in the film if it were produced. This actor is not a lead player(one feature lead) but carries very impressive supporting roles in over 25 major and profitable films. He also has a list of impressive guest appearances on network and cable produced television series. What does an attachment mean "technically and legally"? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

If you attach your actor friend, you are saying to potential producers, "If you make this movie, it has to star my friend Charlie." The producer will likely say that Charlie isn't a big enough name to get financing or sell tickets, so he doesn't want the movie if Charlie is attached to star. It has to have a bigger star. So by attaching your non-A-list friend, you may have thwarted your own goal. The only people you want to attach are those whose names are big enough that everyone would consider them an asset and not a possible liability. (The Toms, for example.)

The above is standard advice. The following is my own idea: if Charlie knows a lot of major actors, or if he's with an important packaging agency, you might think about giving him a 3 or 6 month option to produce your movie, get other actors and/or a good director attached. Maybe he gets a role for himself but not the lead. If he's able to put together a package that can get financing, he gets a producing as well as an acting credit, and your movie gets made.

Comment

THANKS

Good advise JE!

Comment

Working...
      X