Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Querying: call or write?

When you're querying a prodco, is it better to phone them and ask what the procedure is for sending in a script or to just go ahead and send a written query? My thinking is that for some of the smaller companies, you may get lucky and reach someone on the phone who has some sort of influence there (even a friendly assistant may be helpful). Maybe it's possible to bypass the whole written query thing that way and just get the person to ok you sending in your script. Is there anyone who does or has done it this way? Results, opinions?

If you're a good salesman, I'd call a few places and see what happens. Polish your pitch like you would a written query and sell.

If that doesn't work, sway them with your writing. They're looking for great writers...let that well-written, powerful query letter be your business card.

Although I've had some nice conversations with some busy people, I've had little luck with phones pitches. But I have a Southern accent and a slow drawl and that may work against me when people I've never met are finishing my sentences within two minutes of the conversation. Find your strength and use it.

Comment

Cold call is my advice. I even did that with agencies that said "referral only," and got them to look at my scripts. In fact, I'm now repped by one of those.

I agree with the above. Polish your phone call to be a tight, less than 30 second pitch of yourself/your work.

Letters pile up unread, phone calls are answered by a live (though sometimes tough to get past) assistant. I've found that a lot of assistants are willing to put you through to an agent if you're compelling. Call late in the day, Tuesday thru Thursday, when they're not as swamped.

Comment

Write.

It is next to impossible to get an agent from a respectable agency on the phone if he doesn't know who you are. You may be able to query the assistant over the phone, but most times they will tell you they don't accept unsolicted material.

A good query will gain interest.

Comment

Write

I filled in answering phones for an agent friend recently, and I had the chance to be on the receiving end of written, emailed, and phoned queries. You have no idea what the lowly assistant has to deal with with in being guardian of the gates to representation.

Based on my experience, I suggest you send written or emailed queries. You have to remember that agents live and die by the phone, and anything or anyone that is tying up the phone and/or fax (sometimes using the same phone line in small offices) unnecessarily is going to be unwelcome and irritating. You don't want to irritate the assistant.

I was frequently annoyed by phone calls trying to get past me to the agent. Don't be cute and ask to speak to the agent. Speak to the assistant and treat them like they are the agent; the assistant has a LOT more clout than you may realize. Agents have so many phone calls coming and going out that they have to prioritize, even leaving their own clients in the cold sometimes. Newbie unread writers don't rank and won't get a return phone call. Don't take it personally.

DO call to find out to whom to address the query if you don't already know. And if they do prefer faxes, or if they ask you to pitch on the phone, by all means do so!

If you must try a phone pitch to the assistant, keep in mind that business calls come in on the half hour, but especially on the hour. Don't ask me why. I juggled 4 incoming calls one 4pm. Aim for in-between times. Things are slow from 9-10-30am, between 1-2 (lunch) and in the later afternoon.

If you treat the assistant with respect, try to follow the rules, and don't waste their time, you are building an image of being professional and easy to work with. As Martha Stewart would say, it's a good thing.

And I'm going to email my queries.

Comment

Any suggestions for those first time callers, on what to say or how to ask if they can pitch?

Comment

Make it quick when calling. Get the assistants name and send it to him. He will be looking to make a name for himself and if he is willing to put up with being an assistant, then he is probably looking to make a name for himself as quickly as possible.

Do not tell them how great the script is over the phone. Be professional and precise. Send it in and wait a few weeks before you make the "what's going on?" call. Trust me, if they have read it and they loved it your phone would have already rang.

At some point, if you know they have read it, then you have to take the hint (if they are being evasive on the phone) that it is not going to happen.

Remember, make it quick. Tell them something about yourself that establishes some sort of credibility. Don't brag. Send it in and wait a few weeks.

Good luck.

Comment

Shady, thanks...what I meant was, onece they've picked up, what's best to open with? I'd hate to sound to scripted (which I would try hard not to be). But what is something good to open with? "Hi, this is Mickey Mouse, wanted to pitch my latest spec. "Minnie Does Hollywood." Something on the lines of that, yes or no?

And, I'd use my real name of course. Donald Duck!

Comment

Believe it or not, I kind of like the Mickey Mouse idea. I guarantee you that if you say Mickey Mouse and then write your name on the package and in parentheses (Mickey Mouse) they will remember.

If you get someone on the phone and you already know their address then I would quickly say: I have a great script here that is going out so who do I put "Attn" to.

If you don't have the address, but have the name, then I would say: I have a copy here with your name on it, which address do you want me to send it to".

Do not say sorry to bother you, or I don't mean to waste your time, because that is weak and ironically wastes even more of their time. Strike quick for the contact info. or address and then fire it in quick. Quit talking when you feel the slightest hint that he will open the package when it comes, many people can talk themselves right out of the whole thing.

Fire quick and overwhelm them in a very short time. Get your information and send them a masterpiece.

Comment

MakingMagic,

I defer to beautifulboy's wisdom, as he's had great success. But here is my take on phone pitches:

Ask if they have time to hear a short pitch of your feature spec. They will either say yes and you then give a SHORT summation of your story, or they will tell you to send in a written query. Respect their decision, politely thank them, and follow their directions. Do keep it short either way.

Aim for the slow times, especially between the half hours, and your odds on being heard will increase tremendously. And if you introduce yourself as Mickey Mouse, they won't take you seriously and will either refer you to Disney or to a psychiatrist.

Here's a great article on phone etiquette in Hollywood:
                    www.hollywoodnet.com/Moon.../col8.html

Comment

Thanks ScriptKat and Shady...somehow I'll edit the two ideas together and read that article. Thanks!

MM

Comment

Working...
                      X