Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending out the Script...Help!!!

Hello! This is my FIRST post! Woo-Hoo!!!
    Okay, down to business.
    My screenplay has been requested by a major production company. It is complete.
    Should I print a cover of a picture, with the title and my name on it? Or should I just send a regular cover page with title, name and contact info? (Sorry, this is my first time! LOL!)
    Also, is there anything else I need to send besides the screenplay?
    What should the total package consist of?
    Thanks in advance for any help, it's greatly appreciated.

Enchanted

Hello Enchanted One.

Just send a regular cover page with the title, your name, and contact info. Also include a brief cover letter saying that you sending the script per their request.

Do not put a picture on the cover of your script. That is not standard, and might make some people think you're a complete amateur.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Thanks, B! That's what I thought, but I had a bad "run in" with a company who insisted a picture cover be applied. Like I said, I'm very new to this. I wrote a novel in the horror genre. This "person" suggested I adapt it to a screenplay. I did, completly by myself, then this "person" acted as though he was trying to help, and showed it to his agent. The agent sent out a treatment of my screenplay, but added his friend's (person's) name as co-writer. I was told about the interest from really great buyers, along with the fact that a co-writer had been added. Since I didn't sign anything, and the novel was registered with Library of Congress, and the script is registered with WGA West, in my name only, I decided to blow off these con-artists. I do have the contact information from the interested party ( actually, there are about 5). Is it all right to go ahead and send them a copy of the screenplay?
      I called them, and they are still interested, but I feel trapped. I do want to sell it.
      Any advice?
      Thanks,
      Enchanted

Comment

Do not send to anyone unless they have specifically requested it.

If they requested it, send it, and then follow up in 3-6 weeks if you haven't heard from them to see if they've had a chance to read it yet.

Your "friend" sounds like trouble. What they did wasn't cool. Good for you for not allowing them to continue using you. I'd also suggest you have a talk with the "agent" to make sure they don't continue sending out the script with the other person's name on it.

Comment

...and then hire a good entertainment attorney.

Comment

Re: Sending out the Script...Help!

Thanks. I'm only sending it to those who have requested it. I know to stay away from those people, now. But I had even traveled to California at my expense to meet them. They have an office at a great location, but when I was asked to invest 2k a month in keeping that office open, I knew something was up. I've received several threatening letters via e-mail pertaining to ME selling MY script, then I reminded them that I wrote the novel, and the screenplay...not them. I just pray everyone in Hollywood isn't like these guys. They supposably have a script that will put them on top of the world, but it's funny that they were trying to use mine, (that had gotten all of the interest) instead of theirs.
            I will not give up, and I hope no one ever has to deal with these people I ran across.
            Thanks for everything,

Comment

Your Friend

Please enlighten us as to who this agency is so we can steer clear of them.

Comment

Re: Your Friend

WHO is this sham agency/company?

This is the lamest story I've heard in months. (The company's actions, not yours)

Don't worry- I've been out here 8 years and I rarely hear about anyone doing something so shady. It is simply not a method of doing business that is compatible with any real success.

Comment

"It's nice to meet you prospective screenwriter! Here at Top Shelf Talent Agency were looking forward to working with you and can guarantee you success through our exclusive connections to every A list talent you've ever heard of. Right now your script is being read by hot actor A, huge director B and Godlike producer C and we can promise you a multi-million dollar sale sometime next Tuesday. All we need from you is 2k a month so we can pay our electric and phone bills. What's that? Oh, of course this is how all agents work, it's obvious you're from out of town. Trust us!"

Wow, that must have been some meeting! I hope you at least got to see some sights while you were out there. So tell me, does everyone in LA assume you're an idiot just because you're from another town? I hope this isn't what I have to look forward to. Best of luck.

Comment

You should take these "threatening" letters to a lawyer immediately. You need to have a lwayer send a cease and desist letter to the person who is presenting your work as "co-written".

You really need to set the record straight.

Sometimes your silence on an issue can work against.

Consult an attorney ASAP.

Comment

I'd like to know who they are too. You should post it here so everyone can stay clear of them.

Comment

Hello?

>I'd like to know who they are too. You should post it here so everyone can stay clear of them.

--

EnchantedOne?

EnchantedOne?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Comment

Hello?

If anyone wants the comapny name, please e-mail me at [email protected]. I will gladly give it out...just a little worried about posting it on the net.

Yes, I did see some wonderful sights while I was there. I also met new contacts, and several are reading my script as we speak. I know that everyone in Hollywood isn't like these guys, but they are out there.

Thanks to everyone for the support... it's greatly appreciated!

Enchanted

Comment

re: who are they?

I don't get it, they basically try to rob you blind but you're *afraid* of putting their names on the net? Why? What they did is totally illegal. Posting names is standard practice for writers and writers websites, especially something this bad. It's not like you're vindictive or something, these people sound completely non-legitimate.

In fact, I've never heard of anything this bad. Not only should you have an attorney you should call the Better Business Bureau and the CA State Attorney General's office where businesses register names (at least that's how it's done in other states).

Good luck!

Comment

DO NOT add any photos/artwork/etc unless they request it!

Keep your submissions simple(professional).
                              Many PRODCOs have "readers" or low-level employees that check SPs and a screenwriter's submission. ANYTHING they can find that looks wrong will hurt your chances. Get Writing Screenplays That Sell, Inside Hollywood; A Screenwriter's guide to LA and Opening The Doors To Hollywood for more details.

Comment

Working...
                              X