No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book rights questions

Hi,
    I'm working on a screenplay based on a book written in 1979. The book has been adapted into a television mini-series on the BBC in the early 80's. I just would like to know if there is any legal action I should take to protect/support myself once I finish writing my adaptation of the book.
    I will complete the screenplay if for no other reason than practice, but if I do choose to try to "sell it", what steps should I take to find out if I legally can?
    Thanks for your time.

You cannot sell it. You must secure the rights to the book first. You are wasting your time.

Comment

You have to own the rights - buy them - before you can write the script.

Comment

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate it.

Comment

The best piece of advice I could give you on this is... don't take these guys' advice under consideration, and then ignore it.

You are truly, 100% wasting your time if you try to rewrite someone else's work that you have no legal rights for.

To even entertain the idea in your head is to be wasting your creative juices. Find something else.. a new idea. Write your own work. If you can't come up with your own story, consider adapting something much older... say like, older than America older. (Of course, if you can't come up with your own story you may truly want to consider becoming something other than a professional storyteller)

Comment

Working...
          X