I'm Curious, How did you get your agent?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Curious, How did you get your agent?

I was wondering , for the ones who have an agent, how did you guys (and gals) get your 1st agent?

You don't have to tell us who he/she is , just would like to know.

A) query
    B) phone call
    C) referral
    D) YOUR FRIEND OR RELATIVE works at the agency or your friend or relative is the agent
    D) NONE OF THE ABOVE

C'mon guys, give us the details!

CW

Lit Agent: query.

Film Agent: referral from Lit Agent.

Second Lit Agent: referral from Film Agent.

Comment

Referral.

Comment

referral referral referral.

everyone i ever worked with i got through a referral or i had someone put a call in for me. honestly, there are too many psychos and flakes in this business to do business with people who cold call you or query you - and that goes both ways. unless that person is already established and done something which can be verified through the trades...then a cold call is okay. But otherwise, the internet has done nothing to change this fundamental fact. that's why its essential to be in LA or at least make it out here occasionally (like 2-3 times a year). Like Woody Allen said, "80% of successin life is showing up."

Comment

Referral from a producer.

Comment

I got both a manager and an agent through a referel. I've read that query's don't work and I beleive it! For a long time I sent endless query's and got no where. Then a freind of a freind hooked me up with a manager and I quickly got an agent the same way.

Other that writing a great script I'd recomend net working -- it'll cut through A LOT of red tape!

Best of luck!

Comment

glad to know that "I before E except after C" rule doesn't apply with "referel" who can "recomend" without having to resort to "query's".

Comment

1st agent - referral from a studio exec.

2nd agent - my past track record and a referral from a producer.

Comment

First film agent: query--moved to LA, got the list of the agents from the WGA, and queried only those with Beverly Hills addresses because I had no idea where else to begin.

Second film agent: queried after semi-success in Nicholl competition.

Lit agent: he called me in my capacity as a publisher to hunt down some lost roylaties for a client of his and I pitched him on me (after paying the bill).

There's obviously nothing like a referral as other posts here will attest, but I think it's important for people to know that it is not the only way. A well-written, well-placed, well-timed query will work.

Comment

How bout someone tell those who can not get a referral, how you got said referral.

They might be wondering where and how you got it. Did you start out in the mailroom, some place on the lot, in an office? How did you make establish the contact?

Comment

... actually, I wore this brand-new spankin' PHAT Hugo Boss suite. All the agents and studio execs just flocked to me 'cause they thought I was so frickin' cool lookin'. A guy that sharp must have a million-dollar spec under his arm, right?

No, seriously, read the other topic for the answer on this.

Comment

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> How bout someone tell those who can not get a referral, how you got said referral.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Getting the contact isn't the hard part, it's having something to show them when you do.

Comment

I got my first "agent" by not doing my homework, signing a contract to pay him 30 bucks a month (to market my work) and submitting substandard, first-draft material for him to market (keep in a file drawer). It was a great relationship at first...I thought I was a brilliant writer and he was able to pay his phone bill with my checks.

Eventually, reality set it.

Comment

Query after winning a screenwriting contest.

Comment

I've gotten some from query letters, some from meeting them at Women in Film breakfasts, and some from referrals.

Comment

Working...
                              X