No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm boycotting video games

Title: Castlevania
    Log Line: Center on the origins of Dracula and the uprising of the Belmont Clan, a vampire-slaying family who supposedly become humanity's last hope.
    Writer: Paul W.S. Anderson
    Agent: United Talent Agency and mngr. Ken Kamins of Key Creatives
    Buyer: Crystal Sky Pictures
    Price: n/a
    Genre: 11/03/05
    Logged: Action Horror
    More: Video game from Konami. Impact Pictures' Jeremy Bolt & Paul W.S. Anderson and Crystal Sky Pictures' Steven Paul and Benedict Carver will produce. Paul W.S. Anderson will also direct.

Why, why, why? Isn't there a more original, interesting story out there in video game land? And why is it the same two idiots (yes, I mean you, Uwe) who make these things!? WTF!

Ele...

Re: I'm boycotting video games

Completely agree with you Ele.

It's not just Uwe, but everyone is beginning to think video game adaptations are the new thing. They're not. Didn't Anderson see what happened to R.E. 2? It sucked. Nothing about it was good. Hasn't Anderson (or anyone) realized that video games don't make good movie adapatations (with the exception of a select few)?

Austen.

Comment

But it's that safety in a sure thing mentality that studios can't seem to escape these days. Lots of people play video games, ergo, lots of people will come and see the movie. Except it's not working, but nobody's seeing that. I don't, for example, play Doom, so I have absolutely no desire to go see the movie. There are lots of people who don't play video games, and going to see a movie made of a video game would therefore be of no interest to them.

It's this concentration on the 18-25 year old age group which is the largest group that studios seem to be targetting; but they are NOT the group that goes to movies, it's the next two age groups up. And the marketing mavens are missing this point ENTIRELY. They are so in love with the numbers that they're missing the reality, that 18-25 year olds just aren't interested in spending their $20 at the theatre when they can spend the same $20 renting games from the video store.

And they've been making movies of video games for a while. Super Mario Brothers comes to mind (there was also a tv series, IIRC).

Comment

I should have been an on-air weatherman.
        "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
        Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

Has there ever been a good movie based on a video game? Comic books have a 50/50 chance of becoming a success if there's a good writer/director team driving the project, a videogame theme has about a 0.000678% chance of doing what Spiderman II did at the box office. What talented writer/director wants to make a film from a videogame? The whole idea is just uninspiring. Work for money, nothing more.

Comment

Donkey Kong Junior:The Movie did 324 Million worldwide.

Not too bad.
            "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
            Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

I think we'll see more and more movie/video game projects. Eventually, the two mediums will have some sort of merger. I'm pretty sure I read that the video game market overtook the movie market in gross revenue a few years back, and I'm sure the movie folks want that revenue back...

The problem is that the story line of most video games is not something that translates to movie story. They would be much better as short films versus full length features. Video game story lines are the big high level concept ideas we all get before we realize they cannot be full length features.

It will be VERY interesting to see how HALO does. There is alot riding on that, in both the movie world and the video game world. If that does well, for all we know, Microsoft might become a studio! How would you like to see the Windows logo before the movie?
              Don't repeat it; create it.

Comment

The problem is that Hollywood is like the world's most ridiculous drug addict with a trust fund.

Somebody gives them a line of coke and it's good and they like it. So, they go on this balls-out bender buying up every speck of it they can, calling every human being they've ever met trying to get more, trolling bars with white crap all over their face. Bam! Next thing you know, they're in some back alley on their $1800-pants-covered-knees performing sexual favors for a bag of crushed baby aspirin off some German psychopath who just likes degrading rich people.

Then somebody gives them a hit of meth...
                They cursed us forever, making us prefer dreams to lives.

Comment

christ, at least do movies that more than 10% of gamers have actually heard of. there are too many great games that could turn into mediocre movies that haven't been tapped yet to be turning to castle-whoseywhatsit.

- world of warcraft. anything blizzard touches turns to gold, so even if only half their subscribers went to see it it'd still rake in a bajillion dollars on opening weekend.

- half-life. it's an fps so it's light on character development, but it'd be an intersting flick.

- city of heroes. fun mmo and with all the comic book movies it'd be a good time to jump on it (before FF2 kills the genre).

Originally posted by warrenP
                  Microsoft might become a studio! How would you like to see the Windows logo before the movie?
                  great, so you'll get halfway through the movie and it'll just stop for no apparent reason, then you'll have to reboot the projector and start again from the beginning. then the projector gets a virus and you get annoying pop-ups all over the screen.

best of all the movie comes out 2 years after the promised release date. and then they keep patching the movie because hackers are able to get in and replace all the actors with pauly shore.

can't wait =)
                  Aiming for mediocrity and falling well short =)

Comment

i think more than 10% of gamers have not only heard of but PLAYED a castlevania game. it's a decade old series comprising EIGHTEEN different games on TWELVE different platforms. please, i implore you, go find me another title with those kinds of credentials...

it is unfortunate that anderson has decided to make it his new turd sandwich. it deserved better.
                    Last edited by Arroway; 11-06-2005, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Castlevania is indeed a very successful franchise. It's been around for over 15 years. But it's a simple Dracula story. That's it. It was a popular game because it was fun to play. But that doesn't mean it's original material for a movie.

I mean, as bad as the movie turned out, Super Mario Bros. had more potential for an original movie than Castlevania offers.

Ele...

Comment

the inherent originality would stem from the castlevania's signature weapon: the whip. it could make for some really innovative fight sequences.

apart from that, the story would definitely need to be re-worked and added upon by a much more able writer than anderson (who, in my opinion, should have starved to death years ago).

Comment

Whip, Vampires, etc...hmmm sounds like Van Helsing. I knew about Castlevania before I ever heard of Van Helsing, and sad thing is most folks may say Casltevania is a bite off of Van Helsing...pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Fig_tree
                            Whip, Vampires, etc...hmmm sounds like Van Helsing. I knew about Castlevania before I ever heard of Van Helsing, and sad thing is most folks may say Casltevania is a bite off of Van Helsing...pun intended.
                            Ah...all those losers who didn't spend their summers indoors on the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Ele...

Comment

i've written a fan-based screenplay, and i've had somebody do a coverage report and from his response, it didn't seem bad.

i even could do a dirivative (sp?) on the story. i could even expand the storyline over three screenplays.

there are descent stories out there

Comment

Working...
                              X