No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scar Tissue

https://deadline.com/2024/01/anthony...ue-1235795458/

Seems Biopics are on fire the past few years... they also did well in the blacklist... but now more and more are being made. It seems to be a trend. So if you write these types of movies, now seems like a good time to finish them up and query them.

I think write whatever you want - but in my experience in this space we are well past peak biopic. Maybe even past peak music biopic. Write whatever, though.

What’s weird is Uni wanting to do a biopic on a rapist.

Comment

Don't you need permission from the person themselves or their estate? That usually means paying ££££££££

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
        Don't you need permission from the person themselves or their estate? That usually means paying ££££££££
        No. Not even close to the truth. My god.

Comment

Before being too harsh on a question, let's clarify it and go from there. In this specific case, they have the rights to the book. But if they wanted to make a Keidis movie without the book or life rights, they can, he's a public figure. However, they can't use any RHCP music without getting the rights. Both ROCKETMAN and BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY had the music rights as the musicians themselves were producers on it but you can make a Mercury or Elton bio without the music as they are public figures. If there's a story to tell about famous musicians that doesn't need their music, go for it. There's a nice little movie called TWO OF US directed by the original LET IT BE director Michael Lindsay-Hogg. It's about a rumored meeting between Lennon and McCartney at Lennon's NY apartment in 1976. My memory of it is there's no Beatles music in it but, as they did as teenagers, they strum Chuck Berry or other old favorites where the music rights are cheap. Music rights can be so expensive that Terry Gilliam couldn't use Sympathy for the Devil in his FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS as the Stones wanted too much for the rights. The song is fairly integral to the book but what can even Gilliam do in that situation? OK, rambling now but that should cover it.

Comment

So what about Steve Jobs? Michael Jordan? The local mayor?

How famous do you have to be for it to be okay?
            I get music, but what cant' you do in a Steve Jobs doc? Show any of the actual apple stuff I assume?
            Sports figure -- can't show logos?

But we are at the writing stage -- so does any of that matter?

I never even thought to write a true story as all I saw where these problems and how if you don't get permission, it's not going to work out.

This is a good topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
              Before being too harsh on a question, let's clarify it and go from there. In this specific case, they have the rights to the book. But if they wanted to make a Keidis movie without the book or life rights, they can, he's a public figure. However, they can't use any RHCP music without getting the rights. Both ROCKETMAN and BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY had the music rights as the musicians themselves were producers on it but you can make a Mercury or Elton bio without the music as they are public figures. If there's a story to tell about famous musicians that doesn't need their music, go for it. There's a nice little movie called TWO OF US directed by the original LET IT BE director Michael Lindsay-Hogg. It's about a rumored meeting between Lennon and McCartney at Lennon's NY apartment in 1976. My memory of it is there's no Beatles music in it but, as they did as teenagers, they strum Chuck Berry or other old favorites where the music rights are cheap. Music rights can be so expensive that Terry Gilliam couldn't use Sympathy for the Devil in his FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS as the Stones wanted too much for the rights. The song is fairly integral to the book but what can even Gilliam do in that situation? OK, rambling now but that should cover it.
              Thanks for the explanation. If someone was having a pop at the asking of a question then that says a lot about them.

Can you only make films about public figures? And what constitutes public? I mean, I'm sure I like music by artists that many today won't have heard of.

And what about when you want to make films about dead people? I could have sworn I've heard tales of estates refusing permission so projects shut down (which could be music rights-related) but also threats of legal action because the project portrays their famous dead relative in a perceived negative light. Am I completely wrong? Could I make a film that depicts Buddy Holly as a wife beater, drug addict and gay BDSM exponent?

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
                I would suggest as long as you’re not copying from a single source and using certain facts that are single sourced, write whatever you want. Including music biopics. Blonde Ambition worked out well for Zaozirny’s wife, and that never had a chance of getting made. (And as a spec it’s a sin they didn’t name it Blind Ambition…come on!)

Comment

Working...
                X