Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnum P I feature film

This might be interesting if they nail it with the right actor. Any rumors as to who?

Re: Magnum P I feature film

Holy crap. This is Rawson Thurber?

He just had a sale two days ago for $1 million dollars to Dreamworks.

Totally separate sale.

Sounds like someone had a good week.

Well-deserved.

Dodgeball was fresh and fun and I'm glad to see it launched him into superstardom.

S

Comment

Dear Lord, please smite all the Hollywood executives who perpetuate the concept that the viewing audience wants to see TV shows turned into movies. Amen.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Knight Rider staring... Vince Vaughn and James Earl Jones as "KIT."What I would give to see this happen!

Comment

Tom Selleck is Magnum. Anyone else is sacrilege.

My friend, who is just an ordinary movie goer but is in the wrong demographic group so her opinion doesn't count, asked me the other day why Hollywood is insisting on making so many remakes and adaptations, whatever happened to original stories? She's getting fed up with these retreads. Her age puts her in the 50+ demographic; a movie like Magnum, then, is more likely to be targetted at her age group. But does her age group really want 80s tv shows on the big screen? A brief survey of my friends (whose ages range from 40-ish to 50-ish) reveals that's the last thing they want to see.

Hello, Hollywood. Anyone listening?

I thought not.

Comment

I totally agree.

I'm not a fan of ANY of these remakes of old TV shows. Starsky & Hutch was horrible, Dukes of Hazzard looks bad (haven't seen it) and Miami Vice with Collin Farrel doesn't appeal to me either.

HOWEVER...

I can see why Hollywood keeps doing it. These things make money. Undeniably. In fact, all of the movies I just mentioned made money.

And after John August's Charlie's Angels series, everyone hopes for that kind of success. Those things made a TON of money.

Like it or not. It's all about money.

Santino

Comment

Originally posted by santino2699
              Like it or not. It's all about money.

Santino
              That's what I told her (sigh).

I just realised out of all the films I've seen this year (admittedly, not that many), only one - Transporter 2 - was an original screenplay, and... no, wait a minute. It was, wasn't it? or was it?

Granted, the Star Trek movies are the ones that started the tv series adapted to films trend, but at least they had the sense to use the original cast, aging though they may have been.

Wasn't the film Dragnet a spoof rather than a faithful adaptation of a drama? Starsky and Hutch was also a spoof, and Dukes was a spoof of something that didn't need to be spoofed, since it was pretty silly to begin with.

That being the case, what's next? (I shudder to think.) Rockford Files? Good Times? All in the Family? Sanford and Son? Cagney and Lacey? Hill Street Blues? Medical Center? Dr. Kildare? Bonanza? Yikes. Somebody stop me....

Comment

I don't know if the theory on TV adaptations has been given any scientific testing, but it seems hard to substatiate the notion that they make more money than original scripts when there are so few original scripts being made into movies for comparison.

Sure, "Dukes of Hazzard" does well in the short term. Teens go to see it because they've put pop culture stars in it. Maybe old heads go, just to see how it compares to the original. From what I hear, everybody leaves disappointed.

I guess those of us who write -- and like to watch -- original dramas and thrillers and film noir will have to wait until they figure out a way to get these stories mass-marketed without the need for an opening week in a theater.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Ricky Gervais apparently turned down the role of Higgins.
                  @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by yvonnjanae

I guess those of us who write -- and like to watch -- original dramas and thrillers and film noir will have to wait until they figure out a way to get these stories mass-marketed without the need for an opening week in a theater.
                    I think you just put your finger on it, right there. The marketing on these TV adaptations is already there. It's "built-in". You don't really have to market an upcoming release of, "MIAMI VICE" the way you would an original piece because as soon as you say those two words, the general public already has an emotional attachment to it.

Most guys in their 30's will remember the excitement and fun that the series represented and will want to go get a piece of that back. Kids in their teens and twenties will want to know what the show was about and since it has Collin Farell...women everywhere will want to watch.

So they save half of their marketing budget right there.

Compare that to an entirely original thriller or action film with characters no one knows. Sure, it's probably a much better film...but you have to convince people of that with what? Marketing.

Back to money.

Money. Money. Money. Money. Money.

I'm no less frustrated abou the equation than you are. All I'm saying is that I totally understand why it exists.

S

Comment

Santino,

Maybe, if we could get Oprah to read our scripts and recommend them to her book club, we could turn original ideas into big hits!

I already wrote to her suggesting that she hold a national screenwriting competition to get fresh ideas onto the screen, but she ignored me.

Comment

Originally posted by yvonnjanae
                        Santino,

Maybe, if we could get Oprah to read our scripts and recommend them to her book club, we could turn original ideas into big hits!

I already wrote to her suggesting that she hold a national screenwriting competition to get fresh ideas onto the screen, but she ignored me.
                        You could $hit on paper and if Oprah blesses it....IT'S GOLD!

But who knows now after this snafu with the Million Little Pieces author.

S

Comment

Working...
                        X