No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiteout

Kate Beckinsale can open a movie?

A lone U.S. marshal stationed in Antarctica is drawn into a shocking murder investigation. With only three days until winter, she must solve the crime before the continent is plunged into darkness and she is trapped with the killer.
    Writer: John Hoeber Erich Hoeber
    Agent: Bryan Besser Bryan Besser
    Agency: Endeavor Agency Endeavor Agency
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Prod. Co: Dark Castle Entertainment
    Genre: Action Thriller
    Logged: 2/8/2007
    More: Based on Greg Rucka's 1999 comicbook series. Joel Silver & Dark Castle's Susan Downey will produce. Steve Richards, Don Carmody and Greg Rucka will executive produce. David Gambino will co-produce. Dominic Sena will direct. Kate Beckinsle will star.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Re: Whiteout

Originally posted by yvonnjanae View Post
    Kate Beckinsale can open a movie?
    After Underworld and Underworld: Evolution I'd say it's possible. Especially if the script is a high concept thriller.

(Though I'm not thrilled at the logline offered, then again, it's the logline on the sales report so who knows what it'll really turn out to be. Though no vampires to draw the crowd in this time.)

Comment

Kate Beckinsale's name as an attachment has lots of value. Besides being the female lead in recent hits like CLICK and the lead star in the UNDERWORLD franchise, she has a foreign market appeal that will sell tickets overseas, which is extremely important to consider when casting.
      Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Set in Antarctica? If I were the director, I'd be worried there might not be many opportunities to show Kate wearing an impossibly tight basque and shiny black PVC knickers. Although high heel thigh boots are part of a female U.S. Marshal's field clothing issue, aren't they?

-Derek

Comment

im not sure about kate beckinsale as the lead here, but the movie is based off of a damn good comic.

i wonder if theyll go for the same look as the book, like sin city did?

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
          Set in Antarctica? If I were the director, I'd be worried there might not be many opportunities to show Kate wearing an impossibly tight basque and shiny black PVC knickers. Although high heel thigh boots are part of a female U.S. Marshal's field clothing issue, aren't they?

-Derek
          well, never fear derek. somehow, there was a nude scene in the comic.

Comment

um, how many actors can 'open movies'?? Precious few. You can count them on one hand -- are they attached to star in every script that sells?

Tom Cruise can't even 'open a movie'.

Movies open movies. Marquee names may or may not help them along. White already said it, it's about star "appeal" rather than "star power".

This sounds a lot like an Insomnia redux??
            The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Glad Qaz mentioned it. Seems to be missing here, Whiteout is based on a great comic... which even spawned a sequel (in the comics anyway).

Comment

Tom Cruise can't open a movie? OK, I must be totally wrong on what "open a movie" means.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

I'll be honest, I like the logline, and Kate isn't too bad on the eyes either.

Comment

Reese Witherspoon was originally attached to produce and star in the film under her prod. company, "Type A-Films".

This may have been just preliminary talks with the comic book authors and before an actual script was penned.

Here is a link to the comic:

http://www.onipress.com/freecomic/whiteout-1.pdf
                    http://www.onipress.com/freecomic/whiteout-2.pdf

I think Kate is a better choice for a strong female lead, but the actual character in the comic LOOKS and is built more like Reese.

EDITED TO ADD:

This being logged as a recent script sale is very odd. This project has been in pre-production since Jan. of last year (2006) and was announced in Nov. of 2005 -- Where Reese Witherspoon was involved.

Obviously, there are a ton of reasons it may have fallen into development hell... But it's just odd that this is now being logged as a script sale when the script has long since been purchased almost a year and a half ago.
                    Last edited by WritersBlock2010; 02-10-2007, 12:08 PM.
                    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                      Reese Witherspoon was originally attached to produce and star in the film under her prod. company, "Type A-Films".

This may have been just preliminary talks with the comic book authors and before an actual script was penned.

Here is a link to the comic:

http://www.onipress.com/freecomic/whiteout-1.pdf
                      http://www.onipress.com/freecomic/whiteout-2.pdf

I think Kate is a better choice for a strong female lead, but the actual character in the comic LOOKS and is built more like Reese.

EDITED TO ADD:

This being logged as a recent script sale is very odd. This project has been in pre-production since Jan. of last year (2006) and was announced in Nov. of 2005 -- Where Reese Witherspoon was involved.

Obviously, there are a ton of reasons it may have fallen into development hell... But it's just odd that this is now being logged as a script sale when the script has long since been purchased almost a year and a half ago.
                      I think because it's an update--until about a month ago, they were racing to put a director on it so they could move it forward. Not sure when KB signed on--could have come as a result of locking down Dominic Sena.

Comment

I think SB's right. Yes this puppy was set up a while back, but it was with one star, then another, and another, with no real home. It wasn't until Kate came onboard that it really moved towards a REAL greenlight...

Comment

Originally posted by yvonnjanae View Post
                          Tom Cruise can't open a movie? OK, I must be totally wrong on what "open a movie" means.
                          well obviously you are, as you imply most movies need Tom Hanks attached-- how many stars can be counted on to deliver an "opening"?

Do you remember that Tom Cruise was ditched by Paramount, shortly after MI:3 opened $20 million below tracking expectations?

some reading...

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/09/comm...abiz/index.htm
                          The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

um, how many actors can 'open movies'?? Precious few. You can count them on one hand -- are they attached to star in every script that sells?

-----------------------------------------------

Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts are pretty much the only ones that can open "anything". By this I mean even movies with crappy reviews and don't look that good.

Cruise and Ford used to be like this, but if the film looks bad and the reviews aren't good, they no longer have the appeal to over come it.

As for "are they attached to every script that sells"--That arguement is silly. Obviously the producers believe that the story will sell--which is the case in every movie.

If the story & reviews aren't up to snuff, it bombs.

If it is, it does well at the BO or DVD depending on how much marketing it has at realease.

If kate beckinsale is in a good movie people will see it. If she's in a bad movie, they won't.

This is pretty much the same for all actors & actresses.

Naturally some have bigger fan bases than others and that will draw more people to a poor film it just because so and so is in it, but it's still not enough to make a blockbuster hit.

Look at the holiday==Law, Black, Winslet, Diaz---big stars, bad movie,--bomb.

That's why I find it so funny what some of these actors and actresses make. I mean no one says I can't wait for the next Cameron Diaz movie!

Comment

For what it's worth, there's been a lot of talk in Hollywood about trying to contain actors' salaries. I'd say that Kate's plenty recognizable enough to star and draw 1st week viewers, while probably not costing nearly as much as someone like Reese would have. Economically speaking, it's probably not a bad move.

Here's hoping the script kick's ass.
                              "The only reason most scripts are bad is because most people can't write." Leslie Dixon

Comment

Working...
                              X