Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Your Caddy - question

Hey, anybody remember if this movie was written by some Done Deal participants? I seem to recall something like this in the Script Sales section about a year ago.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Re: Who's Your Caddy - question

Searched the sales archive and this is the only thing I came up with that was remotely similar to that "movie".

Title:Untitled Kaaya Pic
    Logline:A golf story said to be a cross between "Caddyshack" and "Happy Gilmore."
    Writer:Brad Kaaya
    Agency:Agency for the Performing Arts
    Studio:Universal Pictures
    Genre:Comedy
    Logged:10/22/2001
    More:Writing assignment. Picked it up as a pitch from Chuck Wilson. To be produced by Jersey Films.

Comment

Originally posted by yvonnjanae View Post
      Hey, anybody remember if this movie was written by some Done Deal participants? I seem to recall something like this in the Script Sales section about a year ago.
      Do you want to find them so you can beat them over the head? I, myself, would at least consider it.

Seriously though, I'm officially sick of films where people make buffoons of themselves. At least that's what the trailer reeked of. Everyone wants to laugh but it seems that when it comes to black comedy, it almost always has to be dumb comedy. Ironically, if you want to see blacks doing smart comedy bits, you have to see it in a black drama -- i.e. TALK TO ME.

Thankfully, many P.O.Ss like CADDY have been dealt the direct to video hand in recent years. How CADDY was theatrically released is beyond me. Perhaps the studio had to fullfill its annual "diversity" requirement. Still, wheteher on the silver screen or on DVD, the sight of these turds makes me heave.
      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Bravo Rosco

I don't know how movies like that can STILL get made. Please don't say it's because "those movies do well" - checked on Rottentomatoes and this Friday will be a week it's been opened and it hasn't reached 3 mil. - this is the kind of thing I think about when I get those rejection letters back "sorry, this is not for us" I think and THIS KIND OF CRAP IS WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR???

Also on that site I read a few reviews made me think it was best that I really DID "judge the book by it's cover (and trailers)" (below are snippets taken from rottentomatoes):

"If this demeaning movie had been made by mainstream Hollywood, it would be courting charges of racism."

"Wake me when urban films stop using "get back at whitey" as a comedic device."

"The latest entry in the storied 'white people are like this, black people are like that' comedy subgenre."

"The movie decides, after 30 minutes of black people clowning like it's 1939, to be a melodrama about injustice and, sigh, redemption."

"The most degrading, minstrel coon show since Soul Plane!"

(that last one was pretty harsh, the reviewer must've been extremely offended... and probably should've been)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff
          Just wanted to say, me and my partner are about to hit up Hollywood with some intelligent, clever, positive movies with African American lead characters.

Our leads are morally ethical and strive for better lives. In the end, they always do the right thing.

Jeff Shurtleff
          No jive-ass niggaz, no big black mamma's or gun-toting hoods?!!!!?!!!

Unless you've got Morgan Freeman you're bound to fail.
          A lovely being, scarcely formed or moulded,
          A rose with all its sweetest leaves yet folded.

Comment

this is the kind of thing I think about when I get those rejection letters back "sorry, this is not for us" I think and THIS KIND OF CRAP IS WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR???
            I feel your pain, Up all Nite. I love Outkast's music, but "Idlewild" was not what I had hoped it would be -- and this doesn't even sound like it's worth watching on HBO.

I just remember a while back there was a script sale that got a lot of congratulations because apparently the two writers were well known on Done Deal. When I criticized it for sounding too coonish, a lot of posters thought I was being rude. I thought maybe it was this movie.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Working...
            X