Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyglass Entertainment to Remake "The Brood"

Besides this, a remake of David Cronenberg's "Scanners" is in the works currently as well.

Re: Spyglass Entertainment to Remake "The Brood"

I just saw the original recently. Sure, I can see how an update could work, but why would you?
    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Jesus Christ! Is there anything sacred left in Hollywood these days, that's not being tampered with?

Surely out of the 100,000 spec scripts floating around Hollywood now as I type this, there must be at least one original idea worth doing?

Why do they keep remaking and rehashing????

This really pisses me off to no end.
      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
        Jesus Christ! Is there anything sacred left in Hollywood these days, that's not being tampered with?

Surely out of the 100,000 spec scripts floating around Hollywood now as I type this, there must be at least one original idea worth doing?

Funny, I think exactly the same thing..

The real problem is not just in remaking the classics but like you say, not buying original spec scripts.

TV SHOWS
        COMIC SUPER HEROES
        REMAKES
        VIDEO GAMES
        NOVEL ADAPTION

Doesn't lave much room for a spec, does it?

Maybe it's because there is already an audience out there that's been tested with a particular media and they know they'll be a target audience for the movie adaption from that media whereas the spec script story is more of a gamble, an unknown entity. I think fear is part of it. Those executives want to keep their high-powered jobs and making films like they do is playing safe. Making movies is commerce not art and me thinks the remake falls firmly into this category.

Still a sad state of affairs.. It makes me weep..

Comment

Product A is a proven success with a large loyal customer base.

Product B is unproven and has no customer base.

Your job is to invest (not gamble) your share holders' money into a product that has the lowest risk and highest potential for return.

Which product do you pick?

Comment

Originally posted by DramaKing View Post
            Product A is a proven success with a large loyal customer base.

Product B is unproven and has no customer base.

Your job is to invest (not gamble) your share holders' money into a product that has the lowest risk and highest potential for return.

Which product do you pick?
            I agree with you.. Still, it makes me sad. Rather than the power of a story the emphasis is on product. I know this is modern economics, just sad is all..

Comment

The thing is, it has always been that way.

The studios weren't built to make art, they were built to produce a product that would be profitable.

Comment

Hi, Jay. Good to have you back.
                Ralphy's Fvcking Blog

"
                Ever notice how 'monogamy' rhymes with 'monotony'?" -- Christian Troy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post

It wouldn't be so bad if every studio website didn't say something like: "We are committed to telling new and exciting stories on the leading edge of blah blah..."

When what they really mean is: "We are committed to telling new and exciting stories so long as they're no different from what we did last month."

Comment

Valid points, but surely being an investor is also about taking risks.

What's that old saying? - the higher the risk, the higher the pay-off. I was under the assumption that the trick to being a successful investor (according to limited knowledge of the subject) is to have a healthy balance of low risk and high risk investments. Easier said then done, but aren't these corporate lackeys supposed to be money making geniuses?

Hollywood ain't taking any risks these days. It used to.

Sure, a lot of that's due to the changing landscape of the industry, but Instead of evolving with the trends of movie goers, they're regressing. And its driven by a lack of vision and greed. The sad part is that the power is with actors now, not the studios or the writers (was it ever with them?). Most specs only sell, if an A-lister is attached or some hot shot director.

There's almost a 99% chance that your next Michael Bay blockbuster spec will never sell, or even get a read. Sometimes it makes you ask yourself, why do I bother?

Orignal ideas???? I'm not sure about you, but if you look at movie reviews and other comments in the media about the films coming out these days, from movie goers, you'll probably notice a trend. Being that the majority of people are tired of seeing the same old sh!t rehashed.

People want fresh and original ideas, especially in genre films. That alone is a drawcard. Problem is, there's a lot of unique ideas out there, but they're not marketable.

At least the Weinstein's tried something new with Grindhouse. It failed, but at least they were open to giving it a try.

*shakes head and goes back to writing...
                    Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I am so glad you don't manage my portfolio.

Comment

So am I.
                        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

That's why we write specs, we speculate to acumulate and then once we're sucessful we can cash in like the others do..

Nobody has a handle on what's going to sell or be a success. Everything's a gamble even posting on here..

Comment

Originally posted by Kevan View Post
                            That's why we write specs, we speculate to acumulate and then once we're sucessful we can cash in like the others do..

Nobody has a handle on what's going to sell or be a success. Everything's a gamble even posting on here..
                            Kevan my buddy, you are so RIGHT!

Maybe some can see in between the lines... and others, oh well. We just can't help them!

But, at least we have the confidence that's required to be writers. Every once and a great moon an idea or character driven story will jump out at us and then WHAM! It's like being knocked across the face when we saw it coming but didn't react to it in time!

Thanks!
                            D. Alin
                            http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

I think this went off on a tangent.

I was not speculating on what kinds of specs will or won't sell.

I was explaining the rationale behind remakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X