Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wrestler

LOGLINE: "Randy "The Ram" Robinson, a 1980s-era star pro wrestler, becomes a burnt-out shell of his former self. After he has a heart attack during a small-time match, a doctor tells him he could die if he fights again. In an effort to build a new life, Robinson takes a job at a deli, moves in with an aging stripper and tries to build a relationship with her son. But the prospect of a rematch with his old nemesis the Ayatollah proves too tempting to resist, even if it means risking his life."

When I first read this logline, I thought it had to be a comedy. But it's termed a "drama" with Darren Aronofsky directing and Nick Cage starring.

I mean, come on, I laughed out loud when it said he took a job at a deli -- great place for a guy in danger of dying of a heart attack!! He wouldn't last a week.

Of course, he hooks up with an aging stripper. I guess all of the whores with hearts of gold were taken.

And then he's got a rematch with "the Ayatollah"!

I mean, come on. This is a comedy. How can you treat this material seriously? Maybe the whole report is a joke.

Re: The Wrestler

I agree that it does sound like a comedy. It's not a joke, because I've seen this same information in several places. To be honest, I'm real sick of Nicholas Cage. He's always acted the same in just about every role (maybe with the exception of Leaving Las Vegas), plus he's not aging well with his bad rugs and all. Thinking about it, maybe he will be good as a wrestler.

Comment

dramas can have comedic elements, Cage to me has that ability to toss in his humour and wisecrackedness in almost everything he does... it's just not going to be marketed as a comedy that's all
      "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

This makes no sense because everyone knows that wrestling is pre-determined anyway, so why would he risk his life for something that is fixed?

Comment

I think some of the (dark) comedy may come from the fact that this guy is risking his life for something that is fixed. Having recently caught the wrestling documentary BEYOND THE MAT, I could see where a wrestler would be serious about "winning" a staged match against an old rival. These guys believe strongly in what they do, as ridiculous as that might seem to some of us. Great documentary by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqits View Post
            I think some of the (dark) comedy may come from the fact that this guy is risking his life for something that is fixed. Having recently caught the wrestling documentary BEYOND THE MAT, I could see where a wrestler would be serious about "winning" a staged match against an old rival. These guys believe strongly in what they do, as ridiculous as that might seem to some of us. Great documentary by the way.
            A very good documentary, indeed. Although slightly old now. Somebody needs to do a more up-to-date one.

As for wrestlers being serious about "winning" a staged match, I give you Hulk Hogan/Steve Austin. They were going to go at it at a recent PPV event, but the match was scrapped because neither would "job" to the other.

Jesus, guys. You were both going to be paid mega bucks. Fools!

Comment

Working...
            X