Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ice Road Truckers" Getting the Big-Screen-Action Treatment

"Twentieth Century Fox has closed a rights deal to use the premise of hit History Channel reality series "Ice Road Truckers" as the basis for a tentpole action feature."

Is this the first time that a reality series has been used as a basis or jumping-off point for a movie (more importantly, an action-thriller)?

Re: "Ice Road Truckers" Getting the Big-Screen-Action Treatment

They made a movie with fictional guests of the Jerry Springer show (which in my estimation is actually THE FIRST reality show).

Good question though... I feel like we are missing something obvious though.
    "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

I knew someone would do this. I watched it last season and thought right off it would be a good premise for a movie.

Calling Michael Bay.

Comment

Last year when I was between scripts, I started researching these trucks after seeing an episode of the show. For awhile, I seriously considered pursuing the subject as my next script because of all the built-in drama.

I'm glad I didn't.

Comment

What those drivers go through is DRAMA.

EJ

Comment

I've been working on a script idea about this . . . THE ICE ROAD.

. . . sighs.

Comment

I started researching it myself. Then I thought about it and bailed on the idea. It's the kind of thing that screams MOVIE! Someone else is watching, and unless you can get commissioned by a studio or a producer to write it, there's a good chance even if you write a great script, that it will just go on the sh*t pile.

Comment

I saw the commercials for the series -- thought it'd make a great movie, then figured there was already something in development.
                Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Has the potential to be a modern day WAGES OF FEAR/SORCERER if they do it right.
                  @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
                    Has the potential to be a modern day WAGES OF FEAR/SORCERER if they do it right.
                    For sure it would.

btw, speaking of Sorcerer... supposedly there will be a remastered 30th anniversary 2-disk dvd Collector's edition of Sorcerer being released soon according to Friedkin. the only dvd version out now is full screen pan-and-scan.

also, here's a lot more info on Ice Road Truckers and "ice roads"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Road_Truckers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_road

Comment

Originally posted by jeffkantoku View Post
                      For sure it would.

btw, speaking of Sorcerer... supposedly there will be a remastered 30th anniversary 2-disk dvd Collector's edition of Sorcerer being released soon according to Friedkin. the only dvd version out now is full screen pan-and-scan.
                      When did Friedkin say that? It's just I've been hearing about a SE DVD of SORCERER for a looooong time...
                      @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
                        When did Friedkin say that? It's just I've been hearing about a SE DVD of SORCERER for a looooong time...
                        I guess it was a while back, like back in September or so....

at the very bottom of this link...
                        http://www.boxofficemojo.com/features/?id=2380

According to the director, Warner Home Video is releasing Cruising on DVD with a digitally remastered print, audio commentary and bonus features because the movie ranked remarkably high in multiple choice retail surveys of titles customers wanted to see on DVD. William Friedkin also announced that his 1977 thriller Sorcerer, crushed at that summer's box office by Star Wars, will get a 30th anniversary DVD edition. He added that his gay-themed The Boys in the Band is also planned for DVD release.

Comment

Working...
                        X