Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Me Rusty

Went wide. Seemed to die. Then it sold today.

Anyone have the 411 or read it and want to review it?

EJ

Re: Call Me Rusty

Maybe I'm "rusty" on the business end of things, I'm just curious as to how everybody hears/knows of scripts that are going out wide.

I never find out anything until I see it in the trades.

Yes, I'm out of the loop and not in L.A. or working in the biz, but I guess I never knew word travels so fast.

And what's the definition of going out "wide?" Does that mean all the studios have copies? Agents trying to entice bidding wars? If a script goes wide (and out of all the spec sales we see, how many do you think went wide?) does the whole town (figuratively speaking) know about it?

Last question... out of all the ones that go wide, I'm assuming there's still a low percentage of takers?

Comment

The script was close at a few major places... Lampoon was interested... Talent got attached... and when it didn't get a bite at the studio level, it sold to Lampoon.

Some deals take a little longer to get completely worked out.
      http://twitter.com/JohnSwetnam

Comment

See bold for my answers.

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
        Maybe I'm "rusty" on the business end of things, I'm just curious as to how everybody hears/knows of scripts that are going out wide.
        www.trackingb.com

I never find out anything until I see it in the trades.

Yes, I'm out of the loop and not in L.A. or working in the biz, but I guess I never knew word travels so fast.

And what's the definition of going out "wide?" Does that mean all the studios have copies? Agents trying to entice bidding wars? If a script goes wide (and out of all the spec sales we see, how many do you think went wide?) does the whole town (figuratively speaking) know about it?
        Wide is when an agent or manager or both send out around 20 or so copies to trust companies who like that said genre of material. Often the companies have "deals" with studios in which case they get them to cut a check. Sometimes some companies have a pot of money to buy the themselves, but this is often not the case hence the studio.

Last question... out of all the ones that go wide, I'm assuming there's still a low percentage of takers?
        tracking lists that between its opening of the site (over 2.5 years now) that over 1300 scripts have gone wide, of those around 180 have sold. 1.5 ish to 10 ratio seems the figure.

EJ
        Last edited by EJ Pennypacker; 03-04-2009, 10:08 AM. Reason: Fixed some quote code.

Comment

Johnny,

Thanks for the 411. Anyone idea on the "talent" attached?

EJ

Comment

Thanks, EJ.

How much is trackingb? Pretty expensive I heard... is it worth it, in your opinion?

Comment

George Lopez
              http://twitter.com/JohnSwetnam

Comment

Yes it is worth it. Although older posts are free after two weeks.

EJ

Comment

Thanks, EJ.

How much is trackingb? Pretty expensive I heard... is it worth it, in your opinion?
                  Pretty sure it's 69 bucks a year.

Well worth it.

Comment

Hey EJ, don't know if you picked this one up but I just started reading it. Got to page 20, and I'm thinking, "Hmmm, this feels an awful lot like a National Lampoon's Vacation movie". I kept reading. The main character, a single dad, is named "Rusty." I'm like, "Hmm, they like the movie so much they're actually making a nod by naming one of the characters after the son."

Then, like a total dumb*ss, it hit me all at once. Holy sh*t! This is Rusty all grown up! It's a goddamned sequel! Did a search, found your post, and now see that it sold to Lampoon's. My question is, how could it sell to anyone BUT Lampoon's given it being part of the franchise? Or was it a situation where they saw they could replace its characters with their own, and then did a quick find and replace with all the names? What's going on here??

I'll probably review this on Scriptshadow Monday. So far, 30 pages in, lukewarm.
                    Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X