Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beat the Reaper

Just saw this thriller announced with Dicaprio attached, though the rights to the novel were acquired in January:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...1&query=reaper

The premise of a former hitman discovered in his new life sounds so identical to History of Violence, I'm confused. Has anyone read the book?

Re: Beat the Reaper

This is pure speculation based on nothing more than the link you posted, but the article states that the novel was written by medical intern and the protagonist happens to be an ER doctor, so I'm guessing that perhaps the setting will play a much larger part in the story than with A History of Violence.

Maybe it'll be more like Die Hard in an Emergency Room.
    "Only nothing is impossible."
    - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
      Has anyone read the book?
      No, but I've been planning to. Thanks for reminding me.

From what I understand, the former hitman isn't so much discovered as accidentally runs into an old associate when said associate turns up at the hospital desperately in need of serious treatment. Which said former hitman must then see he gets or something dire will happen (I forget what; it's been a while since I read the blurb).
      "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Book's a great read. I devoured the thing in one sitting.

The chapters alternate between the backstory (how he got involved with the mob) and current story (see Raven's comment) which, as karma speculated above, is deeply ingrained in its setting.

It shares similar elements to AHOV but there's a lot more to the book than just that, and the narrative voice (that of the protag) is a fvcking blast.
        twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Leo's becoming the new Nic Cage...attaching to almost everything.

Comment

Working...
          X