No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meatballs

Paramount picks up Meatballs....WTF

And now I have a headache. Have they just given up on originality all together??? Enough with the remakes...leave the good stuff alone.

Re: Meatballs

Blasphemy!

Comment

On the plus side, at least, HW is starving for originality, apparently. So that could mean good things for people like us.

brad
      People will think what I tell them to think when you tell what to tell them to think. ~ H. Simpson on being a critic

http://www.mediafire.com/pop17scripts

Comment

Originally posted by Population17 View Post
        On the plus side, at least, HW is starving for originality, apparently. So that could mean good things for people like us.

brad
        True. Besides, "Meatballs" is a classic. I wanted Bill Murray to be my camp counselor, when I first saw the film.

Remember, my brothers and sisters in prose: "It Just Doesn't Matter!"
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3S_k1dRbXY

Preach, Rev. Bill! Preach!
        Last edited by Madbandit; 06-19-2009, 08:59 AM.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
          True. Besides, "Meatballs" is a classic. I wanted Bill Murray to be my camp counselor, when I first saw the film.

Remember, my brothers and sisters in prose: "It Just Doesn't Matter!"
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3S_k1dRbXY

Preach, Rev. Bill! Preach!
          My point exactly. You just can't do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff
            The thing is, I work where there are a bunch of teens and people in their early twenties.

They are the ones that go to the movies. I guarantee not one of them has ever seen or even heard of MEATBALLS. Hell, most of them when I talk to them have NEVER heard of or seen THE SHAWASHANK REDEMPTION.

If they do it right... and that's a big if... it'll work.

Jeff Shurtleff
            But there's these inventions known as the Internet and DVD. Teenagers and twentysomethings can access them, IF THEY WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I knew this film was ripe for a remake. Not surprised at all. Great comedic potential.
              "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
              - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

So they should just remake every movie because some twentysomething hasn't seen the original?

They'd be better of just releasing the original in theaters. I'd be more tempted to see an original classic on the big screen than some lame remake.
                Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
                Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
                Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

Well, it can't be any worse than the original.
                  TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by landercello View Post
                    Paramount picks up Meatballs....WTF
                    so... any guesses as to what's next??????
                    Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Trust me, they don't.

I've actually asked my co-workers if they have ever seen or heard of THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, and they haven't.

Also, my writing partner who knows almost everything, didn't know about the original THE LONGEST YARD from 1974.

Ask some teens about the original THE BAD NEWS BEARS from 1976, a classic. Much better than the remake. They don't know.

Jeff Shurtleff
                      Interesting. I'm constantly surprised by the younger cats I meet. They prefer the classics, including music. They also prefer quality newer movies, like The Wrestler, or Gran Torino, to mainstream stuff like Star Trek.

Though it's true that they go to see Star Trek in the theater, and watch Gran Torino on dvd, they speak passionately and in depth about movies like Gran Torino where as Star Trek only illicits a "it was cool", or "it was fun".

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
                        So they should just remake every movie because some twentysomething hasn't seen the original?

They'd be better of just releasing the original in theaters. I'd be more tempted to see an original classic on the big screen than some lame remake.
                        The film was released in 1979... pre-MTV style of editing, and to be honest, a different style of acting and humor. It's not something that would pull in a decent audience. It'd probably be a chore to sit through, for most folks under forty.
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqits View Post
                          Interesting. I'm constantly surprised by the younger cats I meet. They prefer the classics, including music. They also prefer quality newer movies, like The Wrestler, or Gran Torino, to mainstream stuff like Star Trek.

Though it's true that they go to see Star Trek in the theater, and watch Gran Torino on dvd, they speak passionately and in depth about movies like Gran Torino where as Star Trek only illicits a "it was cool", or "it was fun".
                          Well, not every teen/young adult is vapid and materialistic. Even I prefer the classic and quality entertainment, when I was a teen.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                            The film was released in 1979... pre-MTV style of editing, and to be honest, a different style of acting and humor. It's not something that would pull in a decent audience. It'd probably be a chore to sit through, for most folks under forty.

Might as well remake every film that came out before 1980.

Comment

Comedy is largely about pushing boundaries. With few exceptions, you can't remake a thirty year old comedy and expect teenagers to respond to it the way they did thirty years ago. Sure, they haven't technically seen it, but they'll still feel as though they have.

It's sort of like expecting slasher flick fans to be shocked by Psycho like audiences were in 1960.

Comment

Working...
                              X