Producers are "writing" Graphic Novels -- Where is the fan base?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Producers are "writing" Graphic Novels -- Where is the fan base?

I'm believe this creative process might work.

Do you?

STEP1 --> Radical Publishig is turning the bare concept of this twisted violent tale -- ABATTOIR -- into a graphic novel. Artwork for the graphic novel will be unveiled at Comic-Con.

STEP2--> Darren Lynn Bousman will write and direct "Abattoir" for Radical Pictures.

I thought graphic novels are firstly written by unknown "non-hollywood folks" and then they
    are slowly discovered by producers. You know - "guy genius inker" in his basement writing the next WANTED or WATCHMEN!

Tons of popular of graphic novels are written first.
    After years and years of growing fanbase, then the
    producers will come aboard.

Will STEP1 and STEP2 work?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=10&cs=1
    You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
    Paul Harvey
    -
    -
    -

Re: Producers are "writing" Graphic Novels -- Where is the fan base?

This is actually common practice these days. There seems to be a general assumption within the industry recently that high concept fanboy type material will have more cache if it's based on a "graphic novel", so the graphic novel becomes part of the development process. Sometimes they do the graphic novel before the script, even. Watchmen is different, it has been out since the mid-eighties.

Comment

I remember when storyboarding was just something they did in preproduction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
        This is actually common practice these days. There seems to be a general assumption within the industry recently that high concept fanboy type material will have more cache if it's based on a "graphic novel", so the graphic novel becomes part of the development process. Sometimes they do the graphic novel before the script, even. Watchmen is different, it has been out since the mid-eighties.

hey Gwai Lo, would you say this is trend(short lived) or the future of cinema (unstopable)...

i heard steven speilberg bought the spec for Rise of Atlantis before there was a fanbase...
        You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
        Paul Harvey
        -
        -
        -

Comment

Personally I think it's silliness. There shouldn't really be much difference between adapting a novel and adapting a graphic novel, aside from the pictures in the source material. It seems like it's trendy right now, especially with the glut of superhero movies out there, to turn graphic novels into movies. So somehow this has led to a situation where producers are commissioning graphic novels for unproduced screenplays/treatments instead of just getting the script written. That way, when they shop it around, they can say it's "based on a graphic novel". You also have directors, like Darren Aronofsky with The Fountain or Richard Kelly with Southland Tales, who feel that it's necessary to supplement their movies with graphic novels that add on to the story. So it's a big ol' graphic novel fest right now, in other words. People will calm down eventually, I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
            I remember when storyboarding was just something they did in preproduction.
            And now Storyboard artists are directing their own projects (Len Wiseman, etc).
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Someone get The White Album in here.
              Write.Sell.Repeat.

Theoretically...

Comment

Actually I've been pondering switching my focus from writing scripts to making graphic novels. At least that way I could get my stories out there, and if some Hollywood studio is interested in optioning it, I can whip out my script and say, "Oh hey there! Whatta ya know I just happened to write this script 20 years ago during Hollywood's remake obsessed era!"

It''s good to be able to draw

Comment

Working...
                X