Fox's Moses movie - the return of the Biblical epic?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox's Moses movie - the return of the Biblical epic?

Variety reports that Fox is making a movie about Moses in the style of "300":

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/10/holy-moses-chernin-makes-first-big-pic-buy.html

"For his first significant film project acquisition, Peter Chernin is taking on a project of Biblical proportions.

20th Century Fox has made a preemptive acquisition of a pitch to tell the story of Moses in "300" style. The tale will start with his near death as an infant to his adoption into the Egyptian royal family, his defiance of the Pharoah and deliverance of the Hebrews from enslavement."

So does this mark the return (again) of the sword-and-sandals epic, Biblical or otherwise?

And why are relatively few of these movies made, given the positive B.O. results and the strong overseas market?

Gladiator: $188 mil US gross
    300: $210 m
    Passion: $371 m
    Prince of Egypt: $101m
    Troy: $133 m
    Alexander: only $34 m US but $131 m overseas

LauriD
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Fox's Moses movie - the return of the Biblical epic?

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    So does this mark the return (again) of the sword-and-sandals epic, Biblical or otherwise?

And why are relatively few of these movies made, given the positive B.O. results and the strong overseas market?
    I hadn't heard 'Sword-and-Sandals epic' before. Good one.

I'm just guessing here, and not to sound snooty, but these screenplays involve enormous amounts of research and at least some homage to accuracy. From what I have gathered over the years rumbling around in writer forums, is that many (most?) writers opt for pop-corn stories that are easy to write and easy to market. Bread and butter stuff, and not a bad thing.

There is also a risk of offending one school of thought or another. Seems Mel caught some slack for his efforts. (?)

It's a big commitment, and maybe bigger than many writers can or want to tackle. I don't think it's a studio or money issue. I think well-written and well-researched scripts just aren't out there.

a

www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com
    Last edited by alex whitmer; 10-15-2009, 06:00 PM.

Comment

On the money issue ...

'Gladiator', according to Mojo Box Office, cost 103 million to make, and has grossed roughly 460 million worldwide.

A healthy 4 times cost.

'Passion of the Christ' (04) had a 30 million production budget, and has grossed 612 million worldwide.

A 20 + return.

'Troy' had a massive 175 million production budget, and has 500 million in worldwide box office sales.

Not quite a 3 in returns.

I may be wrong, but the rule of thumb I have heard is that a film needs a 4 times sales-to-cost to make money. Anyone verify ??

'Kundun' on the other hand (and not exactly ''Sword and Sandals'') had a production budget of 28 million, and thus far has a dismal domestic sales of just over 5.5 million. Win some, lose some.

Jumping over to some pop-corn stuff ...

'Transformers' (07) had a 150 million production cost and has grossed 710 million worldwide.

Nearly a 5 return. Maybe it will catch up to Passion's 20 + in a few years.

'The Fast and the Furious' (01) had a production cost of 38 million, and has grossed 207 worldwide.

About 5.5 return.

So, in comparison it appears the money is there in epics. Seems a good bet?

On straight-forward drama ...

'Mona Lisa Smile' had a production budget of 65 million (crap!) and has a worldwide gross of 141 million. Not a great showing.

'Brokeback Mountain' had a cost of 14 million, and has made 178 million worldwide. Very decent return.

Again, I don't think it is a money issue at all. I think it is a lack of material and the writers capable or willing to do the epics.

aw

Comment

"Variety reports that Fox is making a movie about Moses in the style of "300": "

The homoerotic bible.
        TRIAL FORUMS

​
        ​

Comment

Originally posted by alex whitmer View Post
          It's a big commitment, and maybe bigger than many writers can or want to tackle. I don't think it's a studio or money issue. I think well-written and well-researched scripts just aren't out there.
          Ahem.... anyone want to read my Herod script (a Nicholl semi-fi).

Lauri
          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-16-2009, 12:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code.
          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

LauriD
            I can see it now. Moses with a six pack.

Comment

Or an eight-pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
                Or an eight-pack.
                -------------------

A commanding 10 pack--chisled from stone!!

come on guys, how could u miss that one?

lay up.

Comment

Comment

I'm thinking of writing a King David movie. A factual/Bibical approach to it would garner an R-Rating.

As it's filled with sex, esiponage, and war.
                    I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/10/holy-moses-chernin-makes-first-big-pic-buy.html

"For his first significant film project acquisition, Peter Chernin is taking on a project of Biblical proportions.

20th Century Fox has made a preemptive acquisition of a pitch to tell the story of Moses in "300" style. The tale will start with his near death as an infant to his adoption into the Egyptian royal family, his defiance of the Pharoah and deliverance of the Hebrews from enslavement."

Gladiator: $188 mil US gross
                      300: $210 m
                      Passion: $371 m
                      Prince of Egypt: $101m
                      Troy: $133 m
                      Alexander: only $34 m US but $131 m overseas

LauriD
                      The first Jewish superhero!

Comment

Ahem.... anyone want to read my Herod script (a Nicholl semi-fi).

Lauri
                        Herod! Now how many writers can do that justice? A handful at best.

I was working on a Hypatia script until this came along ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agora_%28film%29

Damn! I was certain it was obscure enough that no one would do it. I haven't seen it yet, but I will assume it was well researched. Not that I think I could better!! Just sayin' is all. The Catholic church in Italy made sure it isn't avail there, so it must be good!!

aw

http://thestarvingdramaturge.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X