This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Few sales lately..

I am going to join up in the next few days when I get my paypal sorted out.

Can't wait to give it a read, the concept alone is what makes it a 'must read' before you've even seen the script or heard about the PAGE win.

So is SHOTGUN your only writing sample? I assume it's not your first screenplay written because that would be very good going! Sorry if this has been covered but I haven't read it on here.

I know this is the script that got you an agent, I read that a few pages back.

Also Harb, did you go to filmschool in the UK or just started writing for the hell of it?

We'll have to exchange a few PMs when your life is a little less crazy.

Hal

Comment

Originally posted by Hal_88 View Post
      I am going to join up in the next few days when I get my paypal sorted out.

Can't wait to give it a read, the concept alone is what makes it a 'must read' before you've even seen the script or heard about the PAGE win.

So is SHOTGUN your only writing sample? I assume it's not your first screenplay written because that would be very good going! Sorry if this has been covered but I haven't read it on here.

I know this is the script that got you an agent, I read that a few pages back.

Also Harb, did you go to filmschool in the UK or just started writing for the hell of it?

We'll have to exchange a few PMs when your life is a little less crazy.

Hal
      Hey Hal,

Thanks for the compliments on Shotgun It's actually my 4th script (although the first is more of a 200 page brick. If I could glue all the pages together and laminate it, it'd make a perfect doorstop... or draught excluder).

Shotgun (or more accurately it's placement in PAGE) got me a manager. I don't have an agent... and to date I don't feel I've needed one. A manager can effectively take on the role of an Agent. Jeff has got through the doors to sell the script just as an agent would.

Never went to film school. I went to university and I'm qualified as a computer animator, but somewhere along the way I realized I prefered the writing stage rather than the animating process itself. So about 5 years ago (pretty much when I joined DD) when the branch of the company I was at closed it's offices, I figured to hell with it. I'll dive headfirst into screenwriting. And here I am.

Anyway, enough of boring people with the inconsequentials of my tedious existence.

When life is less hectic I'd be happy to PM. Where in UK are you?

Comment

I live in Southport, near Liverpool.

I go to the University of Central Lancashire, I'm on a screenwriting and film production course, just have my final year left which will only be September-May so starting to get the twitchy 'what do I do next?' feeling. At the moment I'm trying to balance shooting short films (basically get you nowhere these days!) and writing screenplays.

Hopefully my graduation feature length screenplay will be good enough to get a few reads but who knows!

Anyway good talking and a PM chat would be cool because I'd like to hear more of what's your game plan been over the last 5 years.

but yeah, like you said, when stuff calms down...

Hal

Comment

Harb, first of all, congrats on your success. I'm sure great things will come of this. Question: Did anyone in Hollywood offer to pay your way to come out and take a meeting? I'm sure you would pay your own way if you have enough meetings lined up, but I'm just wondering how that would work with you being in the U.K. Of course, much can be done via technology/teleconference if need be. Again, I'm must wondering how generous Hollywood execs are if they're really interested in your work/potential -- and you being in the U.K. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
            Harb, first of all, congrats on your success. I'm sure great things will come of this. Question: Did anyone in Hollywood offer to pay your way to come out and take a meeting? I'm sure you would pay your own way if you have enough meetings lined up, but I'm just wondering how that would work with you being in the U.K. Of course, much can be done via technology/teleconference if need be. Again, I'm must wondering how generous Hollywood execs are if they're really interested in your work/potential -- and you being in the U.K. Thanks.
            Thanks, Pasquali. Nope. No free trip out there offered to date. According to my manager that's because essentially no deal has been made. When a prodco likes the script enough to request territories, that still doesn't mean a deal has been finalized. No contract is signed at this stage. Or Paychecks.

Apparently if a studio decides to put in an offer... or God forbid, two studios (The two best words in a screenwriters life... Bidding War!) then paying for you to go there becomes more likely. Though not at all guaranteed. Depends entirely on the studio. So the short answer is, it becomes more likely (though not definite) the closer to a deal you are.

Thankfully, I have the money to go out there myself, so I'm planning a trip sometime in July/August.

For everyone that sees overseas as a disadvantage, and to an extent it always will be, consider the wonder of the internet. Imagine the situation you're in 20 years ago when you would almost certainly HAD to live in or around California. Now you can conduct a whole career in the world of email and cyberspace. So however disadvantaged you may feel now, spare a thought for all the broken dreams of the screenwriter generation above you.

Was that too dramatic?

Comment

I live in Southport, near Liverpool.

I go to the University of Central Lancashire, I'm on a screenwriting and film production course, just have my final year left which will only be September-May so starting to get the twitchy 'what do I do next?' feeling. At the moment I'm trying to balance shooting short films (basically get you nowhere these days!) and writing screenplays.

Hopefully my graduation feature length screenplay will be good enough to get a few reads but who knows!

Anyway good talking and a PM chat would be cool because I'd like to hear more of what's your game plan been over the last 5 years.

but yeah, like you said, when stuff calms down...

Hal
              I never got that twitchy feeling. I guess that's evidence that animating was never really for me. It just didn't matter like screenwriting.

The real important question is-

Liverpool or Everton? ..... Or Southport.....errr... United?

And bear in mind, I may live in Bristol, but I wear a different red shirt

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                Liverpool or Everton?
                COYB!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
                  COYB!!!
                  I'll let you off on that one They did have Landon playing for them for a while. I'm guessing a few Americans adopted them then (as I did LA Galaxy when Beckham played for them). Or maybe Fulham with good'ole Clint... and McBride I think.

But everyone knows there's only one real team on Merseyside....although you wouldn't know it from last season. Good riddance, Rafa. Never did like ya!

This thread just went seriously OT!

Comment

As the great man once said:

"There are two great teams in Liverpool, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves"

Southport have done well this season but they charge a stupid amount to go and watch them!

Harb, so your manager has only seen SHOTGUN or has he seen the other scripts that you're not as proud of?

Also did you query UK managers/agents before the PAGE win and subsequent manager offers?

Comment

As the great man once said:

"There are two great teams in Liverpool, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves"

Southport have done well this season but they charge a stupid amount to go and watch them!

Harb, so your manager has only seen SHOTGUN or has he seen the other scripts that you're not as proud of?

Also did you query UK managers/agents before the PAGE win and subsequent manager offers?
                      Ahh, How I wish I was born in Shankly's reign. Forget Mourinho, Bill was the Oscar Wilde of football management and Media friendly Soundbytes!

My manager has seen 3 of my scripts. Not the brick!... The PDF alone may have crashed his whole system The one just before Shotgun goes out to the execs, who have requested it, sometime in the next few weeks.

Never sent a query or contacted an agent/manager. I had always intended to start the ball rolling after my 5th script (which would have been this year). PAGE happily took that decision out of my hands If I had, I probably would have gone straight for HW agents/managers. I don't really write UK-Friendly stuff. Most of it is set in LA or New York or Non-descript American Town/city.

Which is another reason I always champion the PAGE contest. IT's largely due to them that I am where I am. And I'm not entirely sure where that is.
                      Harbinger
                      Last edited by Harbinger; 06-09-2010, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Nice!

With Alice in Wonderland hitting a billion and Brattner setting up his edgy Snow White project I'm surprised your script hasn't sold, that might sound a bit over the top but it sounds like the right concept at exactly the right time!

That's exactly my thoughts on approaching agents, I intend on writing more Hollywood friendly screenplays, guess that's a decision I make when I'm closer to sending stuff out. Can't hurt to fire queries off to UK agents, their top comedy of last year was 'Good Luck Anthony Belcher' and I thought that was pretty poor - bound to get made as well.

Can you share a logline for the previous script or is it still hush hush?

Also regarding PAGE, did you do any rewrites prior to entering or get any coverage done? Or is that all Harby first draft magic?

Harry

Comment

Nice!

With Alice in Wonderland hitting a billion and Brattner setting up his edgy Snow White project I'm surprised your script hasn't sold, that might sound a bit over the top but it sounds like the right concept at exactly the right time!

That's exactly my thoughts on approaching agents, I intend on writing more Hollywood friendly screenplays, guess that's a decision I make when I'm closer to sending stuff out. Can't hurt to fire queries off to UK agents, their top comedy of last year was 'Good Luck Anthony Belcher' and I thought that was pretty poor - bound to get made as well.

Can you share a logline for the previous script or is it still hush hush?

Also regarding PAGE, did you do any rewrites prior to entering or get any coverage done? Or is that all Harby first draft magic?

Harry

That's the other problem. The UK film industry was pretty badly wounded before

Comment

Harbinger, big congrats are due, dude.

I just made the connection! It took me a while - my gears up here have gone a bit rusty.

Hope it does some pretty good bucks!

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Hey I'm liking it!

I love hearing different writers' stories, especially from people who seem to be getting somewhere.

Also I don't blame you, I'd be taking some time off if my script was in everywhere, how could you concentrate!

Well I'm liking the title and if it sem-finalled back in '08 and you've taken care of it since, that has to mean something.

At the moment I'm trying to be a bit of a Hollywood whore and come up with a high concept comedy that has a doable budget.

At present I'm in research mode and looking at comedy films I love and why? It basically comes down to a great concept that the screenplay was built around, so I have to do some serious thinking over the next few weeks.

Also I've been checking Scoggins Spec List for all the high concept comedies that were sent out last year...

I get what you mean with explosions and car chases etc. I eventually want to write an action comedy but I think to increase the odds a little I'm going to just write a straight up comedy with hopefully a great hook (I know, easier said than done!)

I read a comedy spec yesterday (Road To Nardo - it sold) and it was basically Superbad meets Road Trip. Two friends (think Cera and Hill) have to rescue their friend Nardo from Mexico, they get into a load of crazy **** along the way. However the story wasn't really about them getting to Nardo, it was more about the crazy **** along the way, just in the sense that The Hangover isn't really about the wedding, it's more about Vegas, Tyson, the baby and let's not forget the Tiger!

I definitely don't want to go from one extreme to another and write a horrible high concept flick but when I look at what sells, you've kind of got to think on the same lines and add your twist right?

That was my verbose reply to make you feel better.

So what's after the execs see While Rome Burns? You working on another script as well or waiting to see when the heat dies down?

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                                hat's pretty much it. Recently found out that Shotgun is on Tracking-boards File exchange. Wasn't sure how to take that at first, but Jeff says that can work in my favor. So feel free to rock on over there and read the script.
                                Damn, is it on any of the free file exchanges that you know of?
                                It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Working...
                                X