• Show
Clear All

• Re: Few sales lately..

Show off . Love to hear the updates.
    Know Jeff as well. Good guy.

Comment

Thanks, people.

And as to Jeff, can't recommend him highly enough. Great guy! Looks out for the writer.

By the way, that post only seems like a fairly eventful update because I haven't posted on this thread for a while. It's really not as hectic as it looks. Just a gradual thing from day to day. After all, it went wide a month ago tomorrow.

But, as I said, it's all crazy stuff

Comment

**NOW ALSO INTO ALCON, MILLENIUM, DIMENSION, LAKESHORE, & LEGENDARY... HEARING TERRITORIES STILL BEING REQUESTED*

Updated at 11:30 on Trackingb.

Comment

Great news Harbinger. Stoked for you, mate.
          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Dope.

Comment

Thanks, Peeps.

It's amazing what I'm learning throughout all this that I didn't know before.

This whole selling a spec thing is so much like running a gauntlet. You start out with the Prodcos. Send the script out to anyone that fits the bill (ie. Target those who are more likely to respond to Action/Thriller or have a track record in that area). Thankfully, Jeff was pretty confident this had the potential for a universal appeal so, as he said, we went out "SuperWide". Over 40 companies all in all.

Got my fair share of passes. Loads in fact. Almost everyone liked the writing and a lot of the exec calls are based on wanting to see what else I've got having failed to excite their respective head-honchos with Shotgun. Of those 40 around 7 (so far) loved it and have taken it into territories.

So it survived the Prodco gauntlet and now limps, battle-scarred but undeterred, into the next round. Assigning Territories.

And now it begins again. More companies. More passes. Until, it moves on to the next stage. Attaching.

It's a crazy process, but I understand it so much more now. IT's like a survival game. It's no wonder the term is "we're still alive at..." cause there really is this feeling of dragging yourself through the tiger enclosure only to now enter the Lion's den.

I'm enjoying it though. No blood has been shed...... yet

Comment

Rock on, Alex!

We're still playing the "we're still alive at..." game, too.

And no matter what happens, we've got a string of good meetings lined up for week after next, so there's always an up side even after the passes roll in.
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Courier12

Comment

Fingers crossed for you, Sweeney. IF it helps, I've certainly noticed two things.

1. The ones you're "still alive" at tend to be so (at least in my case and I'm sure yours) because they're gathered in little rooms talking it over and have therefore not yet got back to you. I've found that those we weren't sure were interested were in fact the ones who jumped on board having delayed response with meetings between all the execs.

2. Most of the crazy stuff has happened towards the end of the process (due in part to the stuff above). Before it went a little mental, We were already assuming that was it and that the ones we were waiting on most likely weren't interested. We were wrong.

I don't know if that's generally the rule of thumb, but certainly happened that way in this case.

Good luck, Sweeney and congrats on everything so far.

Comment

Another upside, is even if they don't sell, it can still serve as a solid writing sample and lead to future work.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                      Another upside, is that if they don't sell, but producers/studios still dig your writing, it can serve as a solid writing sample which can help get you into the OWA arena.

At least that's what I've been told.
                      I googled OWA and I got

Old Wimbledonians Association
                      Outlook Web Access

I can't play tennis for S#!t and my web skills are mediocre at best.

.......As I said above, I KNOW NOTHING! My genuine first thought was the 'O' might stand for Ostrich!

Either way, agreed on the sample front. As I said, a lot of the traction and phone call meetings (cause as I say I'm across the pond) have mentioned that should it not sell, it's still a strong writing sample. And also "clear Voice" comes up a lot. And I remember reading part (first 5 pages I think) of your stuff, Terrance. Definitely a "Clear Voice".

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                        I googled OWA and I got

Old Wimbledonians Association
                        Outlook Web Access

I can't play tennis for S#!t and my web skills are mediocre at best.

.......As I said above, I KNOW NOTHING! My genuine first thought was the 'O' might stand for Ostrich!

Either way, agreed on the sample front. As I said, a lot of the traction and phone call meetings (cause as I say I'm across the pond) have mentioned that should it not sell, it's still a strong writing sample. And also "clear Voice" comes up a lot. And I remember reading part (first 5 pages I think) of your stuff, Terrance. Definitely a "Clear Voice".
                        Thanks.

I'm in the same boat, my friend. I edited my original post because I hate coming off like some sort of expert, when I'm not.

LOL! OWA = open writing assignment. Avoid Ostriches' who play tennis and use Outlook.

Regarding samples - One of my specs got a pass from Lionsgate, but a couple of guys there really dug the writing and thought it would suit another project they had in active development. So they hired me - even though my spec was dead at Lionsgate, I still gained some employment.

Continued luck. And try and stay sane.
                        Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 05-26-2010, 06:57 PM. Reason: Can't spell for sh!t.
                        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Avoid Ostriches' who play tennis
                          Steer clear of Lindsay Davenport..... gotcha!

Congrats on the Lionsgate assignment. Is it an adaptation?

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                            Steer clear of Lindsay Davenport..... gotcha!

Congrats on the Lionsgate assignment. Is it an adaptation?

Thanks.

I was hired to write a treatment - based off another script. They were not happy with the current version, and wanted it to be a little darker. Unfortunately I'm no longer involved with the project, but it was a great learning experience. And best of all, I got paid.
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Thanks.

No adaptation. I was hired to write a treatment - based off another script. They were not happy with the current version, and wanted it to be a little darker. Unfortunately I'm no longer involved with the project, but it was a great learning experience. And best of all, I got paid.
                              Nice! See that's the bit I'm waiting for. To everyone I meet I describe myself as a call centre operator (which I am). Cause it just won't feel right till the paycheck. Not that money is the over-ridding factor (getting to 'meet' Angelina Jolie is), but I guess it's monetary validation.

And as you say, this is all a great learning experience. I'm enjoying the ride. Turbulent though it can be

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeney Todd View Post
                                Rock on, Alex!

We're still playing the "we're still alive at..." game, too.

And no matter what happens, we've got a string of good meetings lined up for week after next, so there's always an up side even after the passes roll in.
                                Same boat with mine. Hopefully they are contemplating a territory. But it is impossible to tell. Going wide is mentally taxing...to say the least.

Awesome to see us DDr's out wide.
                                Last edited by ylekot43; 05-26-2010, 11:04 PM.
                                "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X