X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Few sales lately..

Originally posted by ylekot43 View Post
    Same boat with mine. Hopefully they are contemplating a territory. But it is impossible to tell. Going wide is mentally taxing...to say the least.

Awesome to see us DDr's out wide.
    Agreed. I think we make it a race as to who is the first DD'er to mention DD in an oscar acceptance speech........ or a murder trial.

Good luck with your script. I know I said that in PM, but now it's public
    Last edited by Harbinger; 05-31-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I can safely say my type of comedy will keep me far away from any oscar and I immediately pass that wish of wild to success to the rest of DD

As and for the murder trial, I am mostly a civil litigation attorney...but who knows. I once had a case involving a severed pinky toe though. I dreamed of using "That little piggy will never go to the market again" in a closing argument but it settled way before trial.
      Last edited by ylekot43; 05-26-2010, 11:07 PM.
      "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Good luck with Funemployment!

Nice to see Team Done Deal tearing up the tracking boards!
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Courier12

Comment

Still at the top of trackingB, Alex! Exciting times!
          @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
            Nice! See that's the bit I'm waiting for. To everyone I meet I describe myself as a call centre operator (which I am). Cause it just won't feel right till the paycheck. Not that money is the over-ridding factor (getting to 'meet' Angelina Jolie is), but I guess it's monetary validation.

And as you say, this is all a great learning experience. I'm enjoying the ride. Turbulent though it can be
            Damn right. Remember, this is a ride some poor sods will NEVER get to go on. It's sad, but it's true.
            @MacBullitt

Comment

Hey Harbinger, TwoFinger and Terrance...

I personally would love to see a post from each of you on how it played out with going wide.

I'm very interesting in the whole process, and frankly isn't something that is spoken about much around here.

What do you each think? Up for the challenge when the dust settles?

EJ

Comment

It's so great to hear such good news!

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post

I personally would love to see a post from each of you on how it played out with going wide.

I'm very interesting in the whole process, and frankly isn't something that is spoken about much around here.

EJ
                  I wouldn't be much use to you, EJ, as I have yet to even attempt to sell a script in the US! I have never sought representation there either. My next script is the one I intend to test the waters with for the first time so I'm just as interested as you.
                  @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post

EJ
                    I wouldn't be much use to you, EJ, as I have yet to even attempt to sell a script in the US! I have never sought representation there either. My next script is the one I intend to test the waters with for the first time so I'm am just as interested as you.
                    @MacBullitt

Comment

Having gone through the process a few times, I'll explain the way it usually goes (at least for me). At the outset, I'm optimistic about our chances of selling the script. The script is sent out (usually on a Tuesday) and gets a very positive response from producers by Wednesday. There is a fight between a couple of big producers for certain territories and it takes a day to assign territories and cull the list. I'm always excited by the prodcos for directors who want the script, but (so far) they have never formally attached themselves to the project as a director.

By Thursday (sometimes Wednesday), the producers take the script into the studios/financiers and my manager takes it directly into certain other financiers. By Friday, we get a pass or two from studios (they love the writing, but have something similar in development is the usual response). Unfortunately, we go into the weekend not knowing if the script will sell. I stress out all weekend and can think of nothing else.

Monday rolls around and is the worst day in the entire process because we hear NOTHING. Tuesday is the day we hear about most of the passes and some early indications of interest from the places interested (usually in the range of 3-5). Wednesday is usually the day I know whether the script will sell or not. If there are no offers on Wednesday, I'm not feeling good at all. At that point, I'm expecting what I call the Slow Death March, (i.e., the spec dies a slow and painful death as passes trickle in, which can literally take weeks). Good times! But when you do get that call that an offer has been made, it's pretty special.

Comment

TwoFinger,

I think you're being rather modest. Didn't your script go into five studios? That's pretty damn impressive.

Teris,

Great post. Almost blow-for-blow with my experiences as well.

EJ

Comment

@ Teris -- you nailed it. Monday after is brutal. Torture.
                          I just tell myself that everyone will pass straight out of the gate.
                          Of course, this does happen most of the time.
                          But as you said, the one call with an offer on the table feels amazing.
                          This may come across as sacrilegious, but Speilberg is known for taking pitches with unknown writers, then saying he already has that idea in development. (hard to believe, I know-- but heard it at the WGA orientation)

It is so EASY for a studio to say, great writing, but we already have something similar.

I got one exec to admit off the record, that most of the time they already have a project in development as a star vehicle, or some other element that the studio is sold on, so even if a BETTER script comes in, it is a pass.

So, the adage that the best scripts will get sold and or made is simply false. It is merely the starting point.

Comment

Thanks for the info, people. Great to hear people's experiences and give us an idea of what lies ahead.

And best of luck to those going out -- I'm green with envy -->

Comment

For those interested and on Sweeney's behalf (hope that's okay), Trackingb spec updates on HEE-HEE have now reached the 'Free. No need for Password.' stage. So us cheapskates (or non-trackingb registered) can view the heat on the script.

Get y'asses over to trackingb and check it out.

For some reason, I still can't view my own script despite it having gone wide over a month ago. But maybe tomorrow.

Congrats, Sweeney. In everywhere by the looks of it

Four Quadrant! BAM!

Comment

Thanks for the update, Alex!

I think the reason you still can't view yours is that the entries get bumped back to the front of the site when they get updated. Definitely not a bad thing, but as long as your status keeps getting updated, you'll stay eyes-only.

Hee-Hee is still alive, despite some high-level companies taking a pass, though we've gotten a very strong, positive response to the writing from just about everybody, so it's turning out to be a great sample. Our list of upcoming meetings keeps growing, so I don't have much to complain about right now.

More updates as I get them...
                                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Courier12

Comment

Working...
                                X