X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Few sales lately..

Originally posted by Hal_88 View Post
    Hey I'm liking it!

I love hearing different writers' stories, especially from people who seem to be getting somewhere.

Also I don't blame you, I'd be taking some time off if my script was in everywhere, how could you concentrate!

Well I'm liking the title and if it sem-finalled back in '08 and you've taken care of it since, that has to mean something.

At the moment I'm trying to be a bit of a Hollywood whore and come up with a high concept comedy that has a doable budget.

At present I'm in research mode and looking at comedy films I love and why? It basically comes down to a great concept that the screenplay was built around, so I have to do some serious thinking over the next few weeks.

Also I've been checking Scoggins Spec List for all the high concept comedies that were sent out last year...

I get what you mean with explosions and car chases etc. I eventually want to write an action comedy but I think to increase the odds a little I'm going to just write a straight up comedy with hopefully a great hook (I know, easier said than done!)

I read a comedy spec yesterday (Road To Nardo - it sold) and it was basically Superbad meets Road Trip. Two friends (think Cera and Hill) have to rescue their friend Nardo from Mexico, they get into a load of crazy **** along the way. However the story wasn't really about them getting to Nardo, it was more about the crazy **** along the way, just in the sense that The Hangover isn't really about the wedding, it's more about Vegas, Tyson, the baby and let's not forget the Tiger!

I definitely don't want to go from one extreme to another and write a horrible high concept flick but when I look at what sells, you've kind of got to think on the same lines and add your twist right?

That was my verbose reply to make you feel better.

So what's after the execs see While Rome Burns? You working on another script as well or waiting to see when the heat dies down?
    All depends on the assignment possibilities. I've always said that whilst I enjoy writing my own stories, I'm equally happy to go the adaptation route. I would happily never write another script concept of my own again. I just enjoy crafting stories. Whether that be with my own characters or someone elses. I think it stems from my much younger Comic-book fanboy days when I enjoyed writing and drawing comics that featured both my own and pre-existing characters (I tended to gravitate towards the artists back then so I loved Michael Turner's Fathom, Dale Keown's PITT, Greg Capullo/Todd Mcfarlane's Spawn, Madureira's Battle Chasers). So I guess that might also slightly make me a Hollywood whore too

As to the whole comedy thing, I'd advise people to start to steer away from Hangover. I admit I know nothing, but I think with Hot-Tub Time Machine we may be seeing the death throes of that particular genre. Every prodco suddenly wanted The Next Hangover and the spec market became flooded with those type scripts, then they wonder why people quickly grew tired. My guess for the next thing? Ninja Hamsters! YOu heard it here first.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Hangover. I'm still waiting for the next Dumb and Dumber. Now that's a comedy! Genius all through. From-

"One of them's got a gun."
    "Did you pay the gas bill?"

to

"Fell off the jetway again."

to

"Relax, Harry. I took care of it."
    "Pretty bird. Pretty bird."

I know a lot of people love the slapstick (murdering owls, laxative in the coffee), but I think some of the one liners, set-up/pay-offs and feedline-to-punchline are genius!

Gone off topic......AGAIN!
    Last edited by Harbinger; 06-09-2010, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I totally hear you. I don't know what the hell happened to comedy. Even the dumb and dumber prequel was funnier than 'The Hangover'

That guy really nailed Loyd
      It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Thanks for the stories from the trenches, Harb. I'm going to have to check out PAGE and all these other comps.

UK writer who is writing his first US screenplay (although I don't know why it's my first).

PS Much preferred Keown when he was teamed with a great writer (P David) on their sublime run on The Hulk.
        @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
          Thanks for the stories from the trenches, Harb. I'm going to have to check out PAGE and all these other comps.

UK writer who is writing his first US screenplay (although I don't know why it's my first).

PS Much preferred Keown when he was teamed with a great writer (P David) on their sublime run on The Hulk.
          Agreed. But I was more about the art back then (hence the whole Animation thing. I went from wanting to work for Image to wanting to work for Aardman or Pixar). Keown's pencils are amazing but Image Comics (probably because it was essentially a company run by artists) valued great inkers and computer aided color. Some of the early Image stuff was beautifully rendered and a whole other league ahead of DC and MArvel at the time.

Funny really because when you think about it, it was a lot like a group of directors forming a company because they think they could do better than the writers. A little different because the Image lot joined together in rebellion of Marvel/DC's draconian approach to property rights. But stil, I remember the disrespect with how some of them described the role of the writer.... I wonder now which side I would have been on.

Oh and Peter David is a great writer. I wonder why he never made the transition to big-time screenwriting. For some reason, he stuck to TV, but the guy was a damn good writer.

......EVEN MORE OT!!

PS. Good luck with your first US screenplay. Typing FADE OUT on that first one is amazing. I remember my first FADE OUT..... even if I had to borrow a step-ladder to ever read it. That was the the brick. Over 200 pages of Matrix-esque sci-fi. Genius!
          Last edited by Harbinger; 06-09-2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
            PS. Good luck with your first US screenplay. Typing FADE OUT on that first one is amazing. I remember my first FADE OUT..... even if I had to borrow a step-ladder to ever read it. That was the the brick. Over 200 pages of Matrix-esque sci-fi. Genius!
            Cheers, M8. It won't be the first time I've written fade out, I've done that a few times before, even had an option (UK producers' options -- ha!) on my gritty London thriller ), but I'd never considered writing for the US market until I'd got a foothold in the UK. I don't have a foothold here , but I thought I'd write it because I had a US tale to tell.
            @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
              Cheers, M8. It won't be the first time I've written fade out, I've done that a few times before, even had an option (UK producers' options -- ha!) on my gritty London thriller ), but I'd never considered writing for the US market until I'd got a foothold in the UK. I don't have a foothold here , but I thought I'd write it because I had a US tale to tell.
              Ah, Ok. Sorry. My bad. In that case enjoy the FADE OUT on your first US based screenplay and remember-

Pavement=Sidewalk
              Boot= Trunk
              Bonnet= Hood
              Windscreen= Windshield
              Torch=Flashlight
              And delete the letter U from every other word at random.

BAM! All ready to go. That's how I do it
              Last edited by Harbinger; 06-10-2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Biscuit = Cookie too

They don't call him the cookie monster for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                  Biscuit = Cookie too

They don't call him the cookie monster for nothing.
                  Yup. Missed that one. And while we're in that arena

Crisps=Chips
                  Chips=Fries

With all the OT stuff here, I'm amazed we haven't had a visit from the mod-monster.

Comment

And Jelly is actually called Jello

Jelly being Jam I believe.

Bad Jelly the Witch does not refer to Jello, but Jam. She's quite horrifying either way.

Comment

Fanny...

EJ

Comment

Ah, Ok. Sorry. My bad. In that case enjoy the FADE OUT on your first US based screenplay and remember-

Pavement=Sidewalk
                        Boot= Trunk
                        Bonnet= Hood
                        Windscreen= Windshield
                        Torch=Flashlight
                        And delete the letter U from every other word at random.

BAM! All ready to go. That's how I do it
                        Hahaha! This is so true. You really do have to watch the way your spell certain words.

Although my Aussie accent is not really that defined, it's still always funny when talking to my reps on the phone. I now can tell when they don't get something I said - usually there's just silence. Sometimes I purposely lay on the slang and try and crack a joke, which more often than not, leaves them more perplexed. I know when I get off the phone they're both like "Did you get anything that guy just said?"

Crisps=Chips

Chips=Fries

With all the OT stuff here, I'm amazed we haven't had a visit from the mod-monster.

Harb - I know you Brits colonized us and all, but one thing I will never understand with you lot, is why do you have to eat chips with every bloody meal? When I worked in hospitality, the amount of Brits wanting chips with their pizza and Chinese was astounding. The idea of eating chips with your fried rice is just bonkers, mate.

What is it with the chips... ahem, sorry, fries.
                        Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 06-10-2010, 05:32 PM.
                        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Are Americans the only ones that eat their eggs with ketchup?
                          "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ylekot43 View Post
                            Are Americans the only ones that eat their eggs with ketchup?
                            No, we do too. The stereotypical Australian breakfast consists of steak, chips, bacon and eggs - with ketchup drizzled over it (although we just call it tomato sauce). Plus nice thick toast, covered in butter and vegemite. Maybe some baked-beans on the side.

Pretty sure you're the only country in the world who enjoys fried chicken and grits for breakfast, and peanut butter and jelly on bread. And those pop-tart things are just wrong, man.
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Have you eaten Kangaroo meat before, Terrance? What were your thought on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                                Have you eaten Kangaroo meat before, Terrance? What were your thought on it?
                                Nope. Never had Roo.

I did have an Emu steak and some Crocodile in Cairns a few years back. Emu was kind of stringy. A lot like Lamb. And the Croc was a cross between Chicken meat and a sea scallop. Kind of pulpy. Not something I'd always eat, but they were both nice and tasty.

Best get back on topic. I can hear the mods rattling their chains.
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X