X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cheaters Start Shooting

They start shooting next month.

Here's the logline per one of the movie sites:

The film tells of a man (Vince Vaughn) who spots his best friend's (Kevin James) wife (Wynona Ryder) with another man, and must decide whether or not to tell his pal.

To me this sounds blah and would not recommend it getting made but obviously I'd be wrong because Ron Howard is directing and it is being made.

So, what is the hook here that grabbed the attention of so many stars?

Re: The Cheaters Start Shooting

Perhaps the pitch of the project was very intersting. Actors see more than a logline after all, but I agree the logline doesn't sell a full movie for me.

Comment

the answer is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

It's a nice big paycheck with residuals in a VV romcom which make money.

Are Ryder n James in demand for A-list projects these days? No.

Vaughn had an idea for a movie of a guy who catches his best buds wife cheating and doesnt know whether to tell him or not.

Vince has a deal with Universal. Howard has a deal with Universal. Vince pitched it, they liked it, they went to Howard, Howard like the idea, so he signed on, a deal was made and then they wrote the script.

So if you're looking for a reason why they signed on, think about their careers n put yourself in there shoes for this question:

"Would you like a big paycheck to come to Chicago for the summer to star in a Vince Vaughn/Ron Howard movie?"

Quality of script or story probably never even came up.

As for the hook-- Hi, Universal, I'm Vince Vaughn, I make romcoms which make tons of money. I would like to make another one, interested?

thats it, thats the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Mark View Post
        the answer is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

It's a nice big paycheck with residuals in a VV romcom which make money.

Are Ryder n James in demand for A-list projects these days? No.

Vaughn had an idea for a movie of a guy who catches his best buds wife cheating and doesnt know whether to tell him or not.

Vince has a deal with Universal. Howard has a deal with Universal. Vince pitched it, they liked it, they went to Howard, Howard like the idea, so he signed on, a deal was made and then they wrote the script.

So if you're looking for a reason why they signed on, think about their careers n put yourself in there shoes for this question:

"Would you like a big paycheck to come to Chicago for the summer to star in a Vince Vaughn/Ron Howard movie?"

Quality of script or story probably never even came up.

As for the hook-- Hi, Universal, I'm Vince Vaughn, I make romcoms which make tons of money. I would like to make another one, interested?

thats it, thats the pitch.
        I agree with the majority of these comments, but are you saying that Kevin James is not in demand for comedy projects? If so, you're wrong. Take a look at the box office results of his last few films, including Mall Cop, which cost less than 30 mil and made over 180 mil. And he's got The Zookeeper coming out, which will likely solidify his status as a highly bankable comedy movie star.

Comment

I agree with the majority of these comments, but are you saying that Kevin James is not in demand for comedy projects? If so, you're wrong. Take a look at the box office results of his last few films, including Mall Cop, which cost less than 30 mil and made over 180 mil. And he's got The Zookeeper coming out, which will likely solidify his status as a highly bankable comedy movie star.
          ------------------------------------------------------------

Sure he's in demand -- for projects just like this one. Broad and safe studio fare which will perform no matter how good it is or isnt.

Its right up his alley, so he's a natural fit and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he'd sign on to this.

Didnt mean to say that his career is somehow suffering, but rather that the range of roles he's going to be offered isn't a wide one. This is smack dab in the middle of that zone.

He isn't Johnny Depp or Downey Jr who go from comedy to quirky to action to drama in role role selection. Kevin James is going to be offered the role of Kevin James -- and there are only so many of those a year.

So you factor that in, factor its a big universal popcorn movie with vince vaughn and ron howard with a fat check and its a no brainer that he chose to do this one over the 20 other offers in a similar vein that are on his agents desk.

It's a good move by him. Paul Blart was KJ vehichle n thx to a Jan wasteland release was able to really surprise, but historically he's been the #2 in features--Hitch, the one with Sandler. So he was smart to balance himself with The Zookeeper as his vehicle and the multi-star star cheaters where it will be billed as a VV n RH pic.

One hi concept hit in the winter wasteland doesn't guaruntee bankability. Smart to do one on your own and another in a pack to make sure he is before rushing off n doing 5 KJ vehicles.

Plus, who nows if he wants that pressure and isnt glad to have a role like this from time to time in a big time film where if it doesnt perform as hoped it isnt put around his neck. Pretty smart imo. Not to mention im sure he sees the chance to work VV n RH as a great n fun thing to do.

Comment

on the positive side, this sounds like it has a core resonating value that people will respond to, imho. who hasn't, at some time or another, known someone that was cheating and was conflicted about saying something to the cheatee?

and the cast seems like a strong one for the dynamics. vince vaughn and kevin james could make a conversation about a rock seem both funny and tragic. winona ryder as the wife is also, in my opinion, a brilliant stroke. she may not have made a movie in awhile, but i don't think anyone can deny she has a soulful innocence in her performances, that would play well in a deceitful character like a cheating spouse.

add to all of that, ron howard, who is a genius at pulling depth and conflicted character emotions from his films and i'm pretty much on board to watch this one when it comes out.

anyway, just my thoughts.
            Last edited by asjah8; 05-01-2010, 03:04 PM.
            life happens
            despite a few cracked pots-
            and random sunlight

Comment

I agree and see the points here -- the big paycheck being a draw and working with other big names. And also the comment about the talent of the actors making something of this idea makes sense.

And it is written by Allan Loeb, a prolific writer.

It's just that I'm always curious at how projects get approved and this idea doesn't seem to have enough going for it for an entire movie. But now I can kind of see after reading the responses here.

So I guess the lesson learned here is that go out and get a "name" talent to do your script. I know, such a novel idea, eh?

Comment

So are we already assuming the script is bad/unfunny?

It doesn't sound like a terrible idea. Nothing that blows me away if it were a spec, but a lot of well-executed movies can be simple concepts.

Comment

Working...
                X