New Charlie Kaufman/Spike Jonze movie!!!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Charlie Kaufman/Spike Jonze movie!!!

Finally Kaufman actually leaves his house after two years. Maybe this is "Frank or Francis," the pseudo musical Charlie wrote. I hope this one finally makes just a little bit of profit.

EXCLUSIVE: It's perhaps the partnership that has produced some of the most unconventional and creative films of recent years. And now Charlie Kaufman and Spike Jonze -- who of course collaborated on "Being John Malkovich' and "Adaptation" -- look to get back together as writer and director, respectively.

The pair are pitching a new movie. While the plot is being kept under tight wraps -- it's a pitch, so a script has yet to be written, and Kaufman movies are famously hard to describe in a few sentences anyway -- two people familiar with the project said it has been making the rounds to independent financiers in recent weeks.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...ion-brews.html
    Last edited by nathanq; 12-16-2010, 07:21 PM.

Re: New Charlie Kaufman/Spike Jonze movie!!!

All-time favorite thread... and it only has one post.

Had one post.

Comment

... and here's the logline for "Frank or Francis," that Charlie wrote a while ago.

Since "Synecdoche" came out two years ago, Kaufman has been writing a script that he has called "Frank or Francis," according to several people familiar with it. The film, perceived as commercially tricky but also beloved, is a Hollywood satire in the form of a musical (!) and has an art-imitating-life conceit somewhat in the vein of "Adaptation." (The basic premise: a director embraced for broadly commercial hits resents his success and wants to be considered an auteur and artiste; one imagines it as a bizarre-o world version of Kaufman himself, who hasn't made any broadly commercial movies and has in fact been embraced as an auteur and artiste.)

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
        All-time favorite thread...
        You said it, sister. Or is it bro? I can never remember with my hermaphroditic friends.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
          You said it, sister. Or is it bro? I can never remember with my hermaphroditic friends.
          Broster?

Damn, we need a DD smoke sesh one of these days.

Comment

Still, we sit in our rooms, scanning the magazines and newspapers, hoping for that one bright day when our moviegoing experience is transformed; elevated far above the common drivel that passes for art and entertainment. On a frosty night this past December, I had such an experience. Not that what I saw constitutes the greatest movie experience of my short life, nor am I forced to revise my top ten list in the face of its greatness. Yet, I am moved to a giddy delight and can declare that yes, we have a film that avoids all the trappings that sink lesser works - a combination of wit, insight, daring, and talent that adds up to what deserves to be ranked among the most fascinating and debatable films of the year."

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/2019/adaptation/

Comment

Frank or Francis -- the title alone reminds me of Glen or Glenda (ed wood). and Adaptation had 180 degree twins. hmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                Frank or Francis -- the title alone reminds me of Glen or Glenda (ed wood). and Adaptation had 180 degree twins. hmmm!
                Or, since the passing of the B Edwards is so fresh, Victor/Victoria?

Sounds like the SNL skit 'It's Pat' from the title.
                Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

I guess Kaufman and Jonze have put their horror project on delay to push this.
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
                    I guess Kaufman and Jonze have put their horror project on delay to push this.
                    That was only a suggestion by a studio exec a few years ago, which ended up generating the script that would become Synechdoche, NY (Spike and Charlie said that after they thought of all the things that made them scared, they came up with Synechdoche).

Comment

Oh okay. Thanks for the 'fo.

When I first heard the news back then, I was prepared to have my mind blown away.
                      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Interesting. The premise sounds like Sullivan's Travels by Preston Sturges.
                        Nobody's perfect.

Comment

I'm in the super, super minority because I quit Being John Malkovich about 45 minutes in (holy boring) before I even got to see the premise really exploited, and I thought Adaptation was the single most overrated movie I've ever seen. I found nothing to like about it at all. In fact, I found it insufferable. No one should be subjected to that much talk about flowers unless you're studying to be a botanist. And, to top it off, it was extremely self indulgent.

Needless to say, I'll be skipping whatever they turn out next.
                          Twitter: @jboffer

Comment

Working...
                          X