Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disciple Program Sells w/Mark Wahlberg

I can't say Jack and Jill was a good movie.

But whoever wrote for the bird should work forever.

Comment

Originally posted by HomerS3 View Post
      no one cares if someone LIKES a script.
      So a lot of buzz around a script--regardless of the source--doesn't matter?

EVERYONE cares if there is the slightest bit of negativity around a script.
      This is, apparently, false. There was a non-zero amount of negativity regarding TDP.

Some amateur blogger's opinion is no better than anyone else's -- but any negative response from some guy on the internet to an early script draft can potentially be disastrous.
      I'm some guy on the internet. Can I start a blog and torpedo any project I don't like just by posting? I'm posting negative comments about TDP here. Will that stop production?

I'll say it again. No one cares if someone likes something. Everyone cares if someone doesn't, no matter who they are.
      Say it as many times as you like.

Apparently you didn't even read August's post. A fuller quotation:

ScriptShadow posted a review (since removed) of an earlier draft of the same project. It was largely laudatory, but the studio went ballistic.
      laud·a·to·ry/ˈlôdəˌtôrē/
      Adjective:
      (of speech or writing) Expressing praise and commendation.

He liked it. So what are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
        I can't say Jack and Jill was a good movie.

But whoever wrote for the bird should work forever.
        Wait, you actually saw it? Did someone use a Ludovico Technique-type thing on you, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Atlas View Post
          Wait, you actually saw it? Did someone use a Ludovico Technique-type thing on you, or what?
          I try to watch everything.

If I knew how to edit, I'd make a little film of just the bird scenes. So funny.

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
            I try to watch everything.

If I knew how to edit, I'd make a little film of just the bird scenes. So funny.
            I do too, but I prioritize.
            Last edited by Atlas; 05-21-2012, 12:41 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

We're getting off topic.

Let's keep arguing about who's the most envious.

Easier than writing a script.

Comment

Originally posted by SNAFU View Post
                We're getting off topic.

Let's keep arguing about who's the most envious.

Easier than writing a script.
                You're just jealous of the conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlas View Post
                  So a lot of buzz around a script--regardless of the source--doesn't matter?

This is, apparently, false. There was a non-zero amount of negativity regarding TDP.

I'm some guy on the internet. Can I start a blog and torpedo any project I don't like just by posting? I'm posting negative comments about TDP here. Will that stop production?

Say it as many times as you like.

Apparently you didn't even read August's post. A fuller quotation:

laud·a·to·ry/ˈlôdəˌtôrē/
                  Adjective:
                  (of speech or writing) Expressing praise and commendation.

He liked it. So what are you talking about?
                  The point you're missing is that, whether or not the dude praises something or hates it, he's detailing the story to the public before it's 1.) been bought 2.) been greenlighted or 3.) finished production

That can hurt the chances of something being made. In part, because he's reviewing early drafts.

You might not understand this, but it's the truth. Studios hate when their scripts are leaked. Even if it's the best fvcking script that's ever been written.

Agree with that or don't. But it's the reality we live in.

Comment

ATB and HomerS3 are absolutely correct.

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
                      This script sold for the same reason most other scripts sell: Someone thinks they can make a movie out of it that other ppl will pay money to see.

I thought it was kinda boring & I couldn't finish it, so I understand where the critics are coming from. But bottom line-- it was good enough to get bought.

This speaks to what we talk about here all the time... you don't have to write an absolutely GREAT script to get noticed-- despite what some pros keep saying. You have to write a commercial script that someone is willing to pay money for.

It's not only about great writing (whatever that is), it's about having the right script at the right time... it's about having a COMMERCIAL script.

TDP is a modern action/thriller with a good hook & a castable lead. The writer showed some flair in the writing. There are lessons to be learned here if you pay attention.
                      Exactly.

Comment

First, let me say that I think the writer deserves huge congrats on a remarkable achievement. I hope he takes the ball and runs with it and has a amazing career. I've read TDP and I would echo the same sentiment as the critics have -- there are issues with it. But what I think that caught everyone's attention is that it's DIFFERENT in that it reads differently. It's novel from that standpoint because it's written in the wordsmithy way that it's written. Take it or leave it, it stands out from the huge reject piles for that reason. Inevitably it will get rewritten and hopefully some of the issues that should be addressed will be addressed -- in the shadows of all the hoopla that surrounded this script. Then the movie will come out, hopefully do well and the writer will get a huge boost up in terms of his career going forward. I wish Tyler nothing but the best -- I'm sure he worked his a$$ off to get this script written, and that he'll put the same effort forth in writing subsequent scripts and his writing can only get better. The point of all this as I see it is -- make your scripts stand out from the pack, however you manage to do it. As for Carson -- honestly, if the industry is taking cues from him, we're collectively in very sad shape....

Comment

Universal is desperate for a new Bourne-type franchise and obviously they think TDP is it.

Comment

Congrats to Tyler. I think it would have sold regardless of Carson, but it sold a lot quicker with his help. That being said, I don't think if the script had been bad it would have been picked up as quick.
                            @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by blue439 View Post
                              Universal is desperate for a new Bourne-type franchise and obviously they think TDP is it.

Just saw The Bourne Legacy trailer, was instantly reminded of TDP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDrSA1gTuKc

Comment

Working...
                              X