• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who the f**K took my daughter

seriously, what the f**k
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Re: Who the f**K took my daughter

Ha. I actually love the idea. I'm a sucker for well written spoofs/satires, and this is the type of project I think "I wish I could be writing that."

But, sadly, the team behind the movie isn't any good.
    Twitter: @jboffer

Comment

The Airplane movies and Spaceballs are examples of what spoofs are supposed to be. Homage (mocking of) other movies while still telling their own stories. Today's "spoofs" are nothing but a haphazard collection of skits from other movies, taken to the lowest common denominator that barely contain a coherent forward story. They make me want to stick a finger into my eyeball and swirl it around until the pain goes away.

Comment

These guys have saddled a cash-cow and they're riding it hard. Any cinematic trend, no matter how brief, is fair game for them. They crank out a draft in a couple of weeks and someone always buys it.
        sigpic
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        10,000+ Screenplays
        DD Thread Facebook
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by dave22 View Post
          The Airplane movies and Spaceballs are examples of what spoofs are supposed to be. Homage (mocking of) other movies while still telling their own stories. Today's "spoofs" are nothing but a haphazard collection of skits from other movies, taken to the lowest common denominator that barely contain a coherent forward story. They make me want to stick a finger into my eyeball and swirl it around until the pain goes away.
          The thing is that spoofs like Airplane and Blazing Saddles were made for adults. These spoofs are made for teenagers. A third of the jokes in those classics would go over the heads of many in the audience. The new ones aim at the lowest common denominator. Airplane, Naked Gun, Blazing Saddles, and Spaceballs will be around forever because for the most part, the humor is timeless. If you see one of the Movie Movies even a year after it came out, the jokes are all dated.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with spoof movies for teenagers (Austin Powers) or spoofs that lack real stories.

What's wrong with the current crop isn't "who it's aimed at" or even the narrow focus of the idea. With the right execution they could have been funny. Straight parodies of the hottest Hollywood genres COULD be good. Disposable, but good. There simply has been no honest attempt to do it. And while I'd agree it's better to broaden the scope, it's not the way it absolutely must be done.

Personal opinion, but the old classics don't hold up at all for me. I love love loveddd Spaceballs as a kid. But it is insufferable now. The little enjoyment I got out of that film last time I watched it was purely out of nostalgia.

But that's ok. It's easy for comedy to be a product of its time. But the "Meet the Spartans" of the world aren't even that.

EDIT: That just made me think, I'd be a dream to write the successor to Spaceballs, whether by name or not. With the prequels and now another new trilogy, it feels like it's time to me. But no matter how brilliant, I feel like audiences would shrug at the thought of a modern Star Wars spoof.
            Twitter: @jboffer

Comment

Working...
            X