Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be yourself (id est, “Be true to yourself”).
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Don't pitch changes to the show; pitch possible (very broad) ideas where it could go in the future, if you've got something you feel confident in. I've had people come in and tell me what they think I'm doing wrong. I'm really not interested in getting notes when I'm hiring someone.

If you show up dressy, just explain what your job is. It'll be a good thing to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        Don't pitch changes to the show; pitch possible (very broad) ideas where it could go in the future, if you've got something you feel confident in. I've had people come in and tell me what they think I'm doing wrong. I'm really not interested in getting notes when I'm hiring someone.

If you show up dressy, just explain what your job is. It'll be a good thing to talk about.
        If you are talking to a writer, you already know you like their writing... so I assume you are looking for someone that you want to spend 8-12 hours a day with, right?

Comment

The element of "the good hang" can't be overstated. It may be the most important quality for a staff job.

But it's also advice I'm not sure how to be specific with... I doubt any writer is self aware/good enough of an actor where they can pretend to be a good hang when they aren't. Be yourself and hope you click?

If an asshole like me can get work, it can't be impossible.

Comment

Thank you! Good advice!

Comment

Sorry, I've been AWOL for a minute. So happy for you and finger's crossed. Good for you on the due diligence, well done. It'll make the convos easier. Maybe break the ice with a comment about a spoiler for the next season or next episode, haha. That could be fun, show how much you love the show. I'm sure it will come out naturally. You seem to be someone who can handle herself well.

Break the ice. Break the ceiling. And break in.

Good luck, BeverlyWain.

Oh, and also... be a good listener.
              "Reserving rights to comment and make changes."
              Hollywood producer

Comment

Originally posted by BeverlyWain View Post
                Well, I've got a meeting!!!

I've already watched all the episodes. I've got a list of questions. My question for you: should I have pitches for what I think the show should do next? Or is that presumptuous? What else should I say?

And at work (I'm an assistant) I dress biz casual. Should I go with that, or since it's a writer interview, should I try to look more like a creative type? Am I overthinking this?
                Somebody told me to dress like you're going on a first (lunch) date. Not slutty - but polished.

Comment

Whatever you do, try not to look like a 50-year-old white male (she said, wondering why nobody here has mentioned the James Patterson scandal)

But seriously, break a leg and keep us posted!

If you're stumped at any moment, repeat the question they just asked you (but cleverly), or ask them a question... This will give you a few seconds to come up with what to say next. I read somewhere that it's an old broadcast journalist trick.

Comment

Sweet, Bev! Congrats.

I've never been in a writer's meeting, and I was always terrible at job interviews, but I'm good at making people want to hire me in the film industry.

I'm probably wrong because maybe set workers are a different breed, but if it were me in this situation, I just wouldn't treat it like a job interview at all. I'd treat it more like I'm joking around with and getting to know someone who's into the same crap as me and understands the finer details of the things I'm already super enthusiastic about, so I can geek out about that stuff with them.

Being a genuine knucklehead that loves to work seems to work for me whereas putting up the front of a serious professional never did.

I think you prove a lot more to people when you act like you don't have anything to prove to anyone.

But again, what do I know? I'm just a lowly lighting technician without a rep. They don't let me in the writer's rooms... yet.

But I think the advice I'm trying to give you is to not worry and just go have fun with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X