Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get your pilot out there...

I have an editor tightening up my pilot script for FUN GUYS and making sure everything reads well.

Question... what do I do next?

Do I mass query just like I would a feature, and if so, are there certain email addresses I should be querying?

I've looked into a couple of contests, including TrackingB, and likely will submit to them soon. Are these contests good for getting a pilot in front of the right eyes?

I have outlines for the additional seven episodes of the season as well. Should I mention these at all when querying? Should those outlines already be scripts before pitching a pilot?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh, and does anyone know someone who knows someone that drives a limo for that one guy who knows that producer at HBO?

Re: How to get your pilot out there...

I would consider entering the Austin Film festival screenplay competition, Page Awards, and the Black List. You need to place high in a contest (QF, SF and above) to reach the "right eyes", as the top levels of contests tend to be read by reps and producers.

I don't think you need extra episodes written and/or outlined at this point. A show bible would be more helpful. But to get noticed, the most important thing is the pilot, as well as a solid logline.

Comment

You can query most people because they do TV now too.

It's going to be tough the next few months because it's staffing season and reps are in a mad frenzy to staff the clients they already have and rarely take on new ones until it dies down -- but then again there are exceptions to every rule.
      Last edited by ducky1288; 03-20-2015, 08:59 AM.
      Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

For what it's worth, I had more luck with queries with by pilot before it was a Semi-Finalist at Page than after. Just do what you're going to do.

Comment

Unknowns just don't get pilots on TV. It's very,very rare. Even at Amazon it's pretty established writers and producers.

Comment

Jeez. We'd better stop all querying until we're established then.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
              Jeez. We'd better stop all querying until we're established then.
              Criss Cross is right and wrong.

Yes, it's nearly impossible for a writer with no television credits to sell a series. Even with the landscape as it is right now.

BUT that doesn't mean you shouldn't query and get your pilot out there. Most Showrunners would rather read an original pilot than a spec of an existing series. And it's a good calling card for production companies as well.

So (I hope) Criss Cross isn't trying to discourage you, just mitigate your expectations.

Comment

I was being sarcastic...

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                  Criss Cross is right and wrong.

Yes, it's nearly impossible for a writer with no television credits to sell a series. Even with the landscape as it is right now.

BUT that doesn't mean you shouldn't query and get your pilot out there. Most Showrunners would rather read an original pilot than a spec of an existing series. And it's a good calling card for production companies as well.

So (I hope) Criss Cross isn't trying to discourage you, just mitigate your expectations.
                  Mickey Fisher sold his pilot EXTANT to ABC when it became a finalist in the Trackingb pilot contest. He didn't have TV experience. Was True Detective similar-- can't remember if he was a TV writer already or not.

Question: does it have to be a pilot, or is it poosible that someone might look at a feature spec as a sample?
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Nic Pizzolatto is a published author and wrote a couple episodes of THE KILLING before selling TRUE DETECTIVE.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                      Mickey Fisher sold his pilot EXTANT to ABC when it became a finalist in the Trackingb pilot contest.
                      Actually, EXTANT was sold to CBS-- and only after Fisher signed with WME (because of the contest) and then got Spielberg's Amblin TV attached as a producer.

He didn't have TV experience. Was True Detective similar-- can't remember if he was a TV writer already or not.
                      Nic Pizzolatto worked on Season 1 of The Killing.

Comment

Question: does it have to be a pilot, or is it poosible that someone might look at a feature spec as a sample?
                        For what? Staffing season?

I suppose there are a few showrunners that might hire someone based off of just a feature spec or a play, but >95% of them will want to read an original pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by realphipps View Post
                          I have outlines for the additional seven episodes of the season as well. Should I mention these at all when querying?
                          No-- if someone responds to your query and asks to read your script, you can mention the outlines then.

Originally posted by realphipps View Post
                          Should those outlines already be scripts before pitching a pilot?
                          No, writing additional episodes before you sell a pilot is a waste of time.

You'd be much better off writing a completely different pilot, since anyone who might want to rep you will likely want to see something else you've written.
                          Last edited by Zodraz; 04-13-2015, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zodraz View Post
                            No-- if someone responds to your query and asks to read your script, you can mention the outlines then.

No, writing additional episodes before you sell a pilot is a waste of time.

You'd be much better off writing a completely different pilot, since anyone who might want to rep you will likely want to see something else you've written.
                            Even then, the interested party will more likely be interested in hearing the broad arcs (character and plot) for the next couple of seasons, or longer if it's highly serialized or a large world.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                              Even then, the interested party will more likely be interested in hearing the broad arcs (character and plot) for the next couple of seasons, or longer if it's highly serialized or a large world.
                              Agreed.

When my writing partner and I went out with our first pilot, we had a complicated 15-20 minute pitch about all the storylines, arcs, characters, mysteries, etc. You'd see people's eyes gloss over.

When you're talking in more broad strokes, it gives an executive the chance to jump in. Throw out ideas. Feel more ownership over the project, which will make them more excited to pitch it up the ladder. Even if you end up never using anything they say.

Comment

Working...
                              X