Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Forums

I am sure many of you are still getting used to the new, updated software for our forums. They are still very similar to what we had for years, but there are definitely some new bells and whistles here & there, and as I'm finding in the admin lots of very granular adjustments which can be made and needed to be tweaked. I'll be working on those as things come up over the next few days and week.

One thing I have noticed with the new software is that a generic Avatar of some sort shows for everyone by default. Thus, please feel free to load up an image of yourself or whatever you like -- as long as it's appropriate. I also adjusted the allowed size of everyone's avatars since some of the looked a bit too small when viewing a user's profile. They are now 125x125 in size max. You will need to redo your avatar if you'd like to take advantage of this adjustment, but hopefully it will profiles look a bit better.

I will also add that you/users can add tags to post and you can use the "like" to respond favorably to your favorite posts or topics each day. In addition, you can flesh out your profiles more with additional information about your interests, etc.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-08-2020, 03:40 PM.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Since this question came up, I thought I would note the answer for all. If you want to show and even see sigs in posts, click on your username in the top right corner of the forums. Select USER SETTINGS. Next click on the ACCOUNT tab. Scroll down a little over half-way and you will see a small section where you can check/select to see people's sig and/or avatars AND also edit or add your own sig.

You won't see anyone's sig including your own unless SHOW SIGS is checked so do keep that in mind. But at least it's a nice option for anyone who would like to see less "info" while scrolling through posts, if you prefer.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Will: My previous avatar seems to have disappeared and I don't see an option for uploading a new avatar.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Previous avatars should be there for all, but if not for some reason, while logged in click on your USERNAME along the top right corner then MY PROFILE. On that "landing page" you will see the generic avatar -- in your case -- and then "floating on top of that" "Edit Avatar" with a blue background. Click on that and upload your avatar.

The set image size is 125x125 pixels, but I think you can go a little bigger. Still trying to figure it all out. But should work.
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
          Will: My previous avatar seems to have disappeared and I don't see an option for uploading a new avatar.
          My avatar was showing up when I looked at my profile but not on posts. I uploaded it again. Try not deleting your avatar and just hit save again and see if that works. Otherwise you may have to upload it again.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Since the topic of avatars came up, I wanted to encourage all to find an appropriate avatar if you'd like to include with your profile. But if you want to stick with the generic one, that is fine. Up to you.

But for the ladies, I wanted to at least offer a female version of the default avatar in case you would prefer to at least use that. You should be able to right click and save to your desktop, then go into your profile and add via EDIT AVATAR.

Female Avatar DDP.png
            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-14-2020, 12:45 PM.
            Will
            Done Deal Pro
            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thanks -- my issue is I don't have that image saved on my end. Early on, another member chose it for me and uploaded it. I was fine with it. I copied the url and tried that route and got a message about resizing. I'll poke around for a new image to use. No biggie.
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I had a minute and found the image you originally used. I did a tiny bit of cropping and loaded it up -- mainly as a test, but not to run wild -- so you'd have something until you found something you liked better. I saved the original if you prefer it better, but thought this might be something to try at least while I had a couple of spare minutes.
                Will
                Done Deal Pro
                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thanks Will!

Comment

The new forums are great! Very slick. I was just wondering, what do the little vertical bars under the profile name mean? Most are blank but Jeff has like four red ones.

Thanks! PS I love this place.

Comment

Originally posted by unshootable! View Post
                      The new forums are great! Very slick. I was just wondering, what do the little vertical bars under the profile name mean? Most are blank but Jeff has like four red ones.

Thanks! PS I love this place.
                      Glad you like the update. I think we're all still trying to settle in some with the upgraded digs; I know I am.

As for the bars, they are a "reputation" thing. I know vBulletin software has had something like that for years, but I've never fully understood it. It's based on a few kind of algorithms/factors vB uses including how many posts someone has made, how long someone has been a member, how many liked posts they have, etc.

Granted, an eight-year-old could probably understand it better & more quickly than I. It might be something to turn off (somehow), but it just came with it on by default when the upgrade was done, and I've been trying to iron out a few other things first, until I had a chance to figure it out better. "Likes" on a user's post I believe play a heavy factor in it all too.
                      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-16-2020, 05:42 AM.
                      Will
                      Done Deal Pro
                      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Is there any way to get the text slightly bigger, barring a manual zoom on my browser?

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                          Is there any way to get the text slightly bigger, barring a manual zoom on my browser?
                          It took a little looking around but I found where I could beef up the size of basically all text, at essentially the default level for the forums. Did that help some? Hate to go crazy big but let me know. Don't want it to look like a children's book.

BTW, I always keep the forum on 110% zoom anyway. Just getting old, I guess.
                          Will
                          Done Deal Pro
                          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post

Glad you like the update. I think we're all still trying to settle in some with the upgraded digs; I know I am.

As for the bars, they are a "reputation" thing. I know vBulletin software has had something like that for years, but I've never fully understood it. It's based on a few kind of algorithms/factors vB uses including how many posts someone has made, how long someone has been a member, how many liked posts they have, etc.

Granted, an eight-year-old could probably understand it better & more quickly than I. It might be something to turn off (somehow), but it just came with it on by default when the upgrade was done, and I've been trying to iron out a few other things first, until I had a chance to figure it out better. "Likes" on a user's post I believe play a heavy factor in it all too.
                            Cool, thanks Will!

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                              Is there any way to get the text slightly bigger
                              This was my immediate impression also, text too tiny. What I also found annoying is that when you edit or post, you get automatically log off if you take too long (inactive activity).

Comment

Working...
                              X