Anybody looking to join a writing workshop group?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody looking to join a writing workshop group?

Hello everyone!

For the past year and a half I've been running an awesome weekly virtual writing workshop and we are looking for new members!

We are a fun, relaxed, all-inclusive, no-cost workshop group and writing collective. As long as you write, love to write, and want to get better at writing, we want you in our group. We've got everything from goofy sitcom people writing their first pilots to horror feature wackos selling their scripts, and we’ll even let you submit some creative non-fiction if you want.

Currently there are two separate workshop groups within us-- one that meets Sunday nights and one that meets Tuesdays-- but we are looking to add a third workshop group that will meet weekly as well so that we can expand our community and make new friends. In addition to the weekly virtual workshops, we have a film club, guest speakers, and more!

If you’re looking for a fun group of people to swap feedback with, keep you motivated to write, or if you’re just as bored as the rest of us and want some new pandemic friends, send me over an email at [email protected] with a short description of yourself, what you like to write, why you're looking to join, and I'll get back to you with the details.

Looking forward to getting some great new members on board!
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 04-02-2021, 10:54 AM. Reason: Added tags

Sounds cool. But can you tell us about yourself or the other members? Are you 21 or 65? Have you been doing writing for one year or ten? Are there 5 members and you want 5 more or is this a cult with 100 members and you are looking for more suckers? Do you love me, like me or really like me????

I'm mostly joking. Mostly. Do you like me????

You wrote very well -- maybe the best first post I've seen on this board. But I think you'd get more interest if you engage a little on here for a day or two... Welcome to the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      Sounds cool. But can you tell us about yourself or the other members? Are you 21 or 65? Have you been doing writing for one year or ten? Are there 5 members and you want 5 more or is this a cult with 100 members and you are looking for more suckers? Do you love me, like me or really like me????

I'm mostly joking. Mostly. Do you like me????

You wrote very well -- maybe the best first post I've seen on this board. But I think you'd get more interest if you engage a little on here for a day or two... Welcome to the boards.
      Hi there!

Personally I'm 26, but we have members ranging from 22-mid 50's and are accommodating and accepting of all skill and experience levels. Currently we have 20 members split into two workshop groups, and are looking to add a third workshop night of 10 as well, and maybe another group after that! We're always accepting new members.

I just gave the "bare bones" description of the group so that it's succinct and easier to read, but gave out my email so that people can ask for additional details if they're interested.

Good idea about posting a little more to generate interest, I had mostly come to advertise but I'll check out some more of the forum as well. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for some extra info and it proves at least you are a real person (or a really smart bot).

The amount of times someone leaves 1 post on Done Deal on this board and never comes back is very high for things like this. So that's why I figured I'd chime in and see if you respond like I'd hope you would in some normal way.

Can't help but notice, you still didn't answer if you like me, but I guess I'll have to join the group to find out...

Welcome to the party pal! Try to guess which genre I write mostly in?
        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 04-03-2021, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Horror. I'm certain of it.

We are a fun, relaxed, all-inclusive, no-cost workshop group and writing collective. As long as you write, love to write, and want to get better at writing, we want you in our group. We've got everything from goofy sitcom people writing their first pilots to horror feature wackos selling their scripts, and we’ll even let you submit some creative non-fiction if you want.
          I'm in a writer's group and have been in others. Curious and wish to throw a few questions out. It could be me, but it seems you're more of a writer's club as opposed to a workshop that requires their members turn in review mins and their own page submissions each month. Are you that kind of workshop or are you more of a casual writer's club?

What do you do at your weekly meetings? Are they structured? Have an agenda? Or is like a live chat session? Do you review pages? Whose pages? How many pages? How is the group organized? Is it all in person, or do you also have an online presence with a website forum? Do you require everyone to sign an NDA where anything discussed in the group stays in the group? This guarantees a writer some modicum of protection on material they're developing, either on spec or on assignment. This is an important aspect to a writer's group, because, as a writer, the last thing you want is for your ideas and work to be discussed openly outside the group. Do you verify everyone's identity?

Currently there are two separate workshop groups within us-- one that meets Sunday nights and one that meets Tuesdays-- but we are looking to add a third workshop group that will meet weekly as well so that we can expand our community and make new friends. In addition to the weekly virtual workshops, we have a film club, guest speakers, and more!
          Sounds fun, but it's still unclear on the "workshop" part. Can you expand a bit?

If you’re looking for a fun group of people to swap feedback with, keep you motivated to write, or if you’re just as bored as the rest of us and want some new pandemic friends, send me over an email at [email protected] with a short description of yourself, what you like to write, why you're looking to join, and I'll get back to you with the details.
          Sounds great. Just want to get a bit more specificity. I'm interested in meeting up and networking with other writers, for sure. Not certain I would share my work with people who aren't willing to sign a document that protects every writer's work in the group or provide proof of their identity. Outside of that, sounds fun.

Good luck! Looking forward to your response.

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Thanks for some extra info and it proves at least you are a real person (or a really smart bot).

The amount of times someone leaves 1 post on Done Deal on this board and never comes back is very high for things like this. So that's why I figured I'd chime in and see if you respond like I'd hope you would in some normal way.

Can't help but notice, you still didn't answer if you like me, but I guess I'll have to join the group to find out...

Not a bot! If you post a few random pictures I can prove which ones are boats or not.

Based on your apparent need for validation from me? I'd guess you write horror.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post

Horror. I'm certain of it.

I'm in a writer's group and have been in others. Curious and wish to throw a few questions out. It could be me, but it seems you're more of a writer's club as opposed to a workshop that requires their members turn in review mins and their own page submissions each month. Are you that kind of workshop or are you more of a casual writer's club?

What do you do at your weekly meetings? Are they structured? Have an agenda? Or is like a live chat session? Do you review pages? Whose pages? How many pages? How is the group organized? Is it all in person, or do you also have an online presence with a website forum? Do you require everyone to sign an NDA where anything discussed in the group stays in the group? This guarantees a writer some modicum of protection on material they're developing, either on spec or on assignment. This is an important aspect to a writer's group, because, as a writer, the last thing you want is for your ideas and work to be discussed openly outside the group. Do you verify everyone's identity?

Sounds fun, but it's still unclear on the "workshop" part. Can you expand a bit?

Sounds great. Just want to get a bit more specificity. I'm interested in meeting up and networking with other writers, for sure. Not certain I would share my work with people who aren't willing to sign a document that protects every writer's work in the group or provide proof of their identity. Outside of that, sounds fun.

Good luck! Looking forward to your response.
              Hi there!

Glad to hear you're interested. I am pretty sure that the canned email I send out to interested people answers all of these questions, so I'm gonna go ahead and post that below. Let me know if there's anything else you're still confused about or isn't answered below:
              Just a quick outline of how we do things-- on any given week two people will submit their piece, everyone else reads and writes up brief written notes, and later that week we get together virtually to discuss each submission.

Submissions can be an outline of what you're working on, part of a script, a whole script, some poetry, an essay, creative nonfiction-- it's pretty much up to you as long as it's something you want feedback on and it's something constructive (so if it's just a logline or like 1 page of a feature it's likely not). Critique-wise, we use the Iowa Writers Workshop format which is just a structured discussion that I can go into more detail on later.

We're a fun, not overly serious group, but we still manage to get good work done most weeks.

We are primarily a discussion-based group-- the value comes from meeting and having a discussion together more so than written critique, so we encourage everyone to come to as many (virtual) meetings as possible. Meetings will last up to three hours.

We are sort of running as a "collective"-- there are two individual workshop groups that meet on Sunday or Tuesday nights at 9EST/6PST. We do happy hours and film clubs and guest speakers with both groups, but workshop meetings are separate so we can have a manageable amount of people participating. The overall point is to have a small group of writers you meet with weekly and a larger group of other writers to get to know, work with, collaborate with, and talk to as well-- however, all the "social" aspects and events are totally non-mandatory.

Right now, we are working to form a third workshop group on a third weeknight, which (my guess) will have enough members to start around late April. In the meantime, you can meet with either the Tuesday or Sunday workshop group to start getting involved, or if you prefer, you can wait until the new group forms. I know this probably sounds a little confusing, but I can definitely explain further-- getting a new night off the ground is complicated to explain, but at the core we are very accommodating and accepting so if you are interested we will figure out a way to get you involved!

The only "big" rule is that you have to treat every other member of the group with kindness and respect. If you are harassing someone, targeting individuals, being exceptionally rude, etc, we will have to ask you to leave the group.

We also have an NDA you'll need to sign before joining our Slack page.

If that all sounds good, let me know and we can set up a time to do a "face-to-face" over Google Meet. Generally, weekdays from 7-9pm EST (4-6 PST) are good times for me, let me know if something around then works for you or we can work something else out.

And let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Comment

Working...
              X