Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenwriter manager/agent 4U

Hi, all you wonderful screenwriters. I, as a script analyst, share a website with a script manager/agent. As such I scout for them... If you are an experienced scriptwriter with 3 or more quality features I may be able to assist you? contact me directly: [email protected] Open your email with DD. All the best.

Anyone want to invest in my pilot for the History Channel? Investigating history/treasure hunt.

I have two investors lined up now. One lives outside my residence. But just down the holler a piece.
    Last edited by realphipps; 07-09-2021, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry John View Post
      I, as a script analyst, share a website with a script manager/agent.
      Good grief. There's no such thing as a manager/agent. Do please explain. This should be entertaining.

Comment

No reputable agent/manager will charge reading fees, which this feels like. (Signatory agents are actually banned from doing so.) The rep he works with has no clients listed on IMDB and seems to work out of Florida. I would be very careful before spending any money. Here's the rep's website: https://lsbookservices.com and the consultant's page is at: https://lsbookservices.com/script-analyst

Comment

I’ll rep you with one feature.

Comment

Hard pass, Barry. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
              No reputable agent/manager will charge reading fees, which this feels like. (Signatory agents are actually banned from doing so.) The rep he works with has no clients listed on IMDB and seems to work out of Florida. I would be very careful before spending any money. Here's the rep's website: https://lsbookservices.com and the consultant's page is at: https://lsbookservices.com/script-analyst
              I was curious about this. I sent a blind query for a spec script yesterday and the manager that I queried responded saying that he doesn't accept blind queries but would read it for a paid consultation fee. He is reputable and this isn't the first time I've received a response like this. I was wondering if it is happening more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdsd1 View Post

I was curious about this. I sent a blind query for a spec script yesterday and the manager that I queried responded saying that he doesn't accept blind queries but would read it for a paid consultation fee. He is reputable and this isn't the first time I've received a response like this. I was wondering if it is happening more and more.
                Say hi to Scott for us.

Comment

There are at least two managers who I would consider "reputable" (have good track records, sales and clients) who charge a fee to read material. I for one have never agreed to this, and I think it sets a terrible precedent.

Comment

Muckracker,

Please share name so I can delete them from my file if they're on it.

It's ridiculous, not to mention predatory, for a rep to expect you to pay them to read you. If the logline wasn't interesting enough for them in the first place, do you (the in general you) REALLY think paying them is going to suddenly have them want to rep you? NO, they will not.

I'm feeling salty. Sorry, not sorry.

Thanks, JL for the links.
                    Last edited by finalact4; 07-18-2021, 09:45 AM. Reason: reduce the saltiness. :)
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Any rep that charges to read submissions is a predatory bottom feeder. And hard up for money.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                        Any rep that charges to read submissions is a predatory bottom feeder. And hard up for money.
                        On the face of it, I have to agree with you, but the journalist in me makes me consider the other side of the coin, too. Swamped with too many read requests, would this (somewhat) credible Hollywood rep be using fees as a way to separate the wheat from the chaff? The modern business model for any enterprising millennial seems to be to monetize everything.

SAME-DAY EDIT TO ADD: In re-reading your post, I now see the key term is “bottom-feeder.” The message: stay away from anyone charging to read scripts. Thanks, Jeff.
                        Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-11-2021, 07:47 AM.
                        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

No. If a rep really wanted to go looking for new writers to represent, he could read finalists from contests, use the Black List site... there are plenty of services that screen people at no cost to the rep. It's a sign of desperation.

Comment

Hi all. Barry John here, the OP.
                            - I share a webpage with them, I'm independent and don't work for them.
                            - I never said I REP for them! I said I scout for them - meaning if you are a great screenwriter? I can recommend you to them, meaning I'd have solicited you, and as such, you'd be taken seriously and not charged for reading your script. As mentioned by a remember above; they don't take/look at unsolicited screenwriters/scripts. So, do you think you can just send them your work and they'll read it... you and 10 others every day? One of the main reasons I share a website with them is because our services complement each other for the greater good of the client. As I mentioned, I'm an independent script analyst (NOT a consultant!) I'm successful, and not desperate as made mention above. Through my work I come across great writers... the hidden jewel - the one that's has been battling/rejected in getting representation. I then recommend this screenwriter to them (my neighbour if you like). Apart from that, through great sites like this one... there are equally great writer's looking for a break. Hense my post hereto! And if you are not interested? Then hell... move on. don't run it down.
                            - Is this company new? NO! Is the subsidiary, (manager/agency) yes. The owner of the business, Lisa Simpson, has over 30 years of literature experience in both books and screenwriting, and she has written over 10 screenplays herself. She holds an honours degree in literature. Those that post the negative about her... did not know this. It's common to be and or look only for negativity before positivity. But, yeah there are many back street managers/agencies you can go to - good luck.
                            - Manager/agent...? Yes, she's proficient in both. Better having one representative than two... a manager and an agent that can't see eye-to-eye and fight more over themselves than look after you?
                            - I, nor the company charge to read someone's script. And, or charge/accept any upfront fee! I challenge those who said I or they do, show proof - paste it hereto.

All said... like in any forum, It's great to debacle with a free voice... which we hold ourselves accountable for.

Comment

It's not my intention to disparage this "rep", but I would caution anyone looking for screenwriting representation against hooking up with an agent or manager based out of Clearwater, Florida (and really any place that's not LA or NY). Granted, if you're Canadian there are good reps in Toronto and if you're in the UK there are some killer outfits in London. But for a stateside film or TV writer, LA or New York is where reputable reps are going to be located.

I can't speak for literature as I know nothing about the publishing business, so if you want to take out a novel maybe someone like Lisa would be great for that. I don't know. But film/tv is a relationship based business and in order to forge and maintain meaningful relationships, a rep really needs to live where business is being done.

Comment

Working...
                              X