Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Story" by Robert McKee

I just finished reading this book and have to say it left a big impression on me. It is virtally a textbook for how to envision, approach, outline, and write a screenplay in a very conscious, craftsmanlike way. The depth and insight of his analysis of film story is staggering. It's like a (THE?) frikkin' bible for screenwriters, is what it is. It addresses just about every weakness every element of a screenplay or story can possibly have, and shows the way to not make that mistake and create quality instead. Incredible.

As a beginner, I feel very empowered after reading it as it will show me the way to quality before I have even begun (and without film school too!), and it also confirmed for me several important instincts I had recognized in myself but was unsure they were valid in screenwriting (to my delight, they were). I had read the Syd Field books any years ago and they didn't come anywhere close to illuminating so many critical issues in crafting stories for film.

It's very deep, like a textbook is, and almost has the tone of a sacred text, so one reading alone will definitely not do. I plan to devour it all over again, and then use it as a reference text to guide me at every turn as I work on my maiden script, checking and rechecking the integrity of my story value, structure, spinal integrity, beat rhythm, sequence array, pacing of scenes within the sequences, etc. It can serve as a guide to everything!

Obviously, this book is a must-have for any screenwriter, whether beginner or advanced. I'm new here so maybe it's common knowledge and you guys all own two copies, but I think it bears being recommended here. If like me you are pretty new to this and looking for major insight into what it will take to write *effective* screenplays, you are absolutely BLOWING IT if you don't get it and live it.

Another two books I have just read that are very good are "Writing The Thriller Film" by Neill Hicks and "Crafty Screenwriting" by Alex Epstein. They were excellent also.

Oh and naturally I look forward to checking out Martell's books too.

cheers
    AP

I agree with you

I love my copy of "Story" to death.

Comment

Re: I don't

I am sure Robert's book is a valuable resource in some way, and if you get something useful out of it, then it's worth the money, but...

...has Robert McKee written any actual "stories" worthy of mention, or just a book a how to "structure" and "blueprint" what should be a living, breathing, creative form?

All of these how-to books, and articles and guidelines are useless of you don't have an interesting 'story' to tell, and that's the really hard thing to nail down.

Look at the disaster that was Dreamcatcher...two of the biggest names in screenwriting/directing adapting a best selling novel from one of the biggest authors in the world...and it bombed horribly. I am sure Lawrence Kasdan and William Goldman know all there is to know about structure and pacing...and still it failed to capture an audience. Maybe they need to read Robert's book.

I just think there is so much more to this than any how-to book can hope to achieve (beyond basic formatting issues etc.) I think too many people put all their faith in these books as the path to success.

Comment

Re: I don't

i borrowed the book from a friend, and i must say, i was done after the first chapter. i tend to be an intuitive writer, and all that pompous, dry, academic crap put me to sleep.

Comment

Next on your list...

Andrew, since you've read some of the basics, it's now time to read the grandaddy of all writing books, The Art Of Dramatic Writing by Lajos Egri. Not a screenwriting book, but a book for writing in the 3-Act structure. Even still, every screenwriter should own this as 95% of what you read is pure gold.

Go to your local bookstore and look for the purple book on the writing shelf. Buy it and read. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

story

There is something from most of those books that are of value, but much of the time, it's just avoiding getting to the real education....writing....a lot.

I put watching and analyzing both great and bad films/scripts the best non-writing education outside of a lot of good comments you can dig out of here and twoadverbs.com.

IMO

Comment

Working...
            X